Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Raspberry Pi and the Beagle Board are both very cool, but I wouldn't call them embedded environments. They're really general-purpose computing devices which just happen to be in a small package. Also, though it seems counter-intuitive at first, Linux actually makes embedded work *more difficult*. With a simple device like an Arduino or a PIC, it turns on and immediately starts running your software, and ONLY your software.

Also, I'd like to point out that you don't need to spend $30 on an Arduino, depending on what you're doing. I built a 7-key USB chording keyset around an AVR chip (same as they use in an Arduino); aside from the $3 chip, IIRC I only needed a few resistors, a diode, and a crystal oscillator--total cost, probably $5-8.

Edit: vvv forgot about that part, but for $15 you can get one (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825) and re-use it over and over.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Popete posted:

Can we talk about embedded operating systems in this thread? I have been working a bit lately with FreeRTOS and it's been great for small memory systems, very simple and configurable too.

If we're going to talk embedded operating systems, have any of you used Inferno? It's a lot of fun and runs in a couple megs, which puts it outside the range of a PIC but it can run on ARM, MIPS, PA-RISC, PowerPC, SPARC, and x86 (according to wikipedia, I've only run it on ARM and x86) with only a little bit of RAM. It can run natively on hardware or hosted on top of Linux, Windows, or OS X. It's implemented as a register-based virtual machine; you write programs in Limbo which is a lot of fun.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

If you live in a decent size city at least one is probably a proper "hardware" radio shack with all of the drawers and everything.

My city has a proper hardware radio shack. Admittedly, it's still a low selection, poor quality, and high prices, but the mere fact that I can walk 1/4 mile and pick up some caps, 7400 series logic, switches, etc. is pretty awesome.

• Locked thread