Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
First try a different uSD card. I found sticking a capacitor usd supply fixed problems I was getting. Pull-up resistors on the data lines might help if the breakout board doesn't have any. You can also narrow down the problem between hardware/software by writing raw data, reading back and then comparing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

Arcsech posted:

They probably have poo poo quality control and nonexistant English documentation, but they'll probably work fine. The latter has been my big problem with cheap parts, especially screens, ordered from China. If they come with drivers for your uC then great, but unless you're fluent in technical Chinese, pray you never have to modify it or write your own.

I've brought quite a few STM32 Dev boards, one official one, and quite a few cheap Chinese boards. I found that the Chinese boards worked better than the official board in one very specific application(either by accident or by design). Sometimes the software provided is a bit hit or miss but if it doesn't work usually you can contact the seller to get a working version. In general they provide quite allot of code examples, data sheets, etc. There are also loads of STM32F103VE Dev boards so lots of code out there. I've used the following http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-STM32-Dev-Board-STM32F103VET6-512K-FLASH-64K-SRAM-/200486596368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eadeeaf10, which worked fine, the seller also has other boards with larger screens.

I've had quite a few of the Chinese touch LCDs, and in general there are only a few LCD controllers used in these sort of displays, so finding startup code that works isn't usually a problem, and startup code for LCDs is easily portable between uC. (Or if you are hardcore you can write the startup code from the datasheet).

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

movax posted:

If it is your first start into microcontrollers, I'd almost suggest against an ARM, to be honest.

It's kind of become a recent view of mine, after some talks/discussions with some guys from Freescale, NXP, etc. It stems from the fact that while eval boards might be usable, there's a lot of gotchas / things to be careful of when transplanting it to a PCB of your own design (which is something attainable for hobbyists, EAGLE + OSH Park) because the clocks / edge rates can be quick enough that haphazard (hobbyist) PCB design doesn't cut it. Poor power delivery, bad grounding / coupling can manifest in random instabilities / performance issues that would frustrate the hell out of a guy who just wanted his own board.

Before I knew better I tried to make an STM32 board using a breakout board, protoboard, and random wire that I had available. It had an usd reader, 320*240 color display and touch input. I didn't even bother with any decoupling caps. Somehow it worked perfectly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plgntYl4coU

I currently use my own STM32 PCB, st-link and eclipse. I started with with a STM32 development board and atollic truestudio. I found using a devboard and commercial IDE a nice easy way to get started with ARM. Once you are comfortable with them you can swap out the board and IDE with what you want. Like I mentioned above the STM32 chips seem quite tolerant of poor PCB design and are quite robust, which might make them a good ARM chip to try. I haven't tried any of the other ARM chips so I can't offer a proper comparison.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

Hyvok posted:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement some kind of GUI to run on an ARM and a graphical color LCD screen?

I can basically think of "make your own" (quite a bit of work creating all the required GUI framework stuffs) and "install linux" which is in my opinion a bit too bloaty for a simple GUI. Is there any middle ground? I wouldn't need an actual OS or anything, just display some graphs and have some buttons and stuff like that.

I just made my own GUI, but there are some basic GUI's out there for some ARM chips. If you get one of these cheap STM32 boards from ebay they usually come with a some software. A quick check brought up something like ucos-II.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

ImDifferent posted:

Little microcontroller-based CTF hacking competition:

http://www.matasano.com/matasano-square-microcontroller-ctf/

MSP430-based, no less.

I haven't really done anything with assembly before but this is quite fun.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

Tiger.Bomb posted:

This is a ton of fun. Just got to the 100-point levels.

I managed to get 115 points, but now am completely stuck. I don't know if I'm suppose to use the techniques already used in creative ways or if there are new techniques I should be using but I have a knowledge gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I go a new SSD, and decided to start from scratch. I've been working with my STM32 boards, with LCDs, etc. I have been using eclipse, but everything was limited to C. I seem to be having a nightmare trying to get Eclipse luna working, most of the guides seem to work for the previous versions. It seems like every version eclipse, code sourcery, cdt cross, etc are different and I'm getting lost.

Should I just stick with trying get my setup back working with the previous version Helix? OR what's the best setup for windows, for using C++ on STM32. (I have tried some of the other IDE's and quite liked Attolic's interface (Eclipses).

• Locked thread