Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Unfortunately, codebench doesn't support M4 processors with external FPUs. Linaro also publishes a bare-metal ARM toolchain: http://www.linaro.org/downloads/

Look at the bottom of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I got my Stellaris finally. Ugh, the thing uses a loving Micro-USB connector. Now I need to have one of those handy.

I'm thinking about replacing it myself with a mini-A port but I know I'd probably just gently caress up the board.

Mine came with a micro-USB cable.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Oh no rush at ALL. I'm just dabbling in this stuff as a hobby. If you could just try to step through something simple that would be great :)

If possible maybe set a breakpoint on an ISR and see if it lets you step through at that point?

The Dragon is exactly what you're looking for. Works great with AVR studio, and is a little flakier with the GNU tools. Occasionally, I'll set a software breakpoint in GDB, the program will fly off into la-la land, and when I reboot the chip, the breakpoint remains and I have to reflash the chip.

I've heard reports that the Dragon is exceptionally ESD sensitive, so I laser-cut a case for it.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
I've been using the Linaro Bare-Metal GCC package for playing around with Cortex M0/M3/M4 lately.
http://www.linaro.org/downloads/ (Bottom of the page).

The compiler works well out of the box, and support M4F floating-point units, but it isn't a complete toolchain. Libraries and linker scripts aren't always easy to find, and might not work out of the box anyway. Stellaris and STM chips haven't been too difficult to get up and running.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Kire posted:

Has anybody ever used gdb for debugging a target from a host machine? I'm just curious, I learned about it in a class and it sounds complicated since gdb's command line interface gets very difficult to use very quickly, since terminals cannot display as much info as a GUI. So cross-debugging on a target seems really confusing, but kind of neat.

I have found that cgdb makes the learning curve just a little softer: http://cgdb.github.io/

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

You can totally slim down the dev process to gcc and a serial programmer.

I'd be very curious how you plan to debug anything nontrivial with that setup though. Debugging in an IDE with breakpoints and awareness of your code will take a fraction of the time compared to debugging with LED's providing bits of information about what's going on inside.

I use cgdb (http://cgdb.github.io/) along with the appropriate compilation of gdb, and a debugger. Maybe not as nice as Visual Studio, but it works very well across a lot of platforms.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

I've used nordic radios - I mostly didn't recommend them because I've never seen them that cheap. That's cheaper than the individual chips :catstare:

I've used a bunch of these super cheap Chinese radios, and I've never had a problem. God knows how the make 'em that cheap, but they work.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
NXP and STM ship binary versions of the emWin graphics library. I haven't used it myself, but it looks pretty decent.

Whatever you do, stay miles away from those lovely 4D Systems Displays. Never again.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Tiger.Bomb posted:

anyone know how bootup is done? I am curious how it would work without BIOS/UEFI.

Per the HackADay comments, it's running UBoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Primarily writing embedded code for life science payloads destined for the ISS, but there are other commercial and government contracts thrown in, as well. Almost everything's C or C++ on embedded.

• Locked thread