Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Anyone use the AVR ISP2? I got this to try to load some C operating instructions onto an ATmega8 processor. For some reason, I can't seem to get my computer to recognize the programmer. The green power light will blink for a second on the programmer but that's it. Anyone ever run into similar problems or have any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Using Atmel Studio 6, I get the following error:
Timestamp: 2012-11-10 09:35:36.759
Severity: ERROR
ComponentId: 20100
StatusCode: 1
ModuleName: TCF (TCF command: Tool:connect failed.)

USB driver attach timed out

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Kind of. For some reason, the programmer doesn't work on that USB port. The port works fine with anything else. Go figure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Dolex posted:

Settle a bet, are you running Windows?

On this computer, yeah. I have Ubuntu on my desktop but dont really use it that much. Sorry if I lost my nerdcred.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'm trying to program an ATmega328 with an AVR ISP2. I am absolutely certain that I have all of the pins correctly connected. I have 9VDC coming from a homemade rectifier that's tied into the mains that goes through a 5VDC linear regulator. This 5VDC is hooked into the VCC pin on the ATmega. The ground connection is hooked up to one of the ground connections. I can confirm that the ATmega is getting proper voltage with an LED in parallel with the VCC/GND pins to indicate power.

What is causing AVR Studio 6 to say that I am reading 0.0VDC? Everything is connected via breadboard. I swapped in another processor and it gave me the same problem. I've programmed processors with this MCU in the past so I know it works. Further confusing me is that the status lights on the MCU are both solid green indicating that it is functioning correctly. All firmware is up to date.

help me make robot go :(

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Yeah. I built a transformer/rectifier/filter board that takes 120VAC and outputs 10VDC. I put it through a linear regulator on my breadboard to get a very steady 5.00VDC. I wire that in to the +VCC, +AVCC, +AREF pins on the ATmega. The ISP2 +VCC connector is wired in parallel with +VCC. The linear regulator GND is wired in with the GND on the ATmega and the GND on the ISP2.

I've also tried this same setup with various capacitors in parallel with the +AVCC pin and GND because someone told me that it would serve as a low pass filter which would help the analog to digital converter circuit in the processor. I dont quite understand how that would work but hey, I'm still a freshman EE. :shrug:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Arcsech posted:

Buy an MSP430 Launchpad or a Stellaris Lauchpad or something like that and mess around with it for a while. DO NOT use an Arduino if you're attempting to get an embedded systems job, you will be laughed at all the way to the door. Right or wrong, the Arduino has a rep for being nothing but a kid's toy but the MSP430 line are some pretty commonly used microcontrollers, and of course ARM is beefy as hell (for a uC).

Any other tips? I've been faithfully plugging away at Arduino projects lately :( Im an EE student that plans on minoring in CS. I want to do something related to either robotics or .. well, whatever hires me.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Arcsech posted:

Yes, just don't show the Arduino itself in any pictures you put in a portfolio - stick it in a breadboard or something. I just know a lot of engineers who see the people who blink an LED, then claim they're masters of everything embedded and associate that attitude with the Arduino.

I still think the MSP430 Launchpad is generally better though - easy to use, ultra-cheap at $5, and a very, very commonly used uC.

Meh. Every project I've done and taken pictures/video of has an Arduino in it even if it's just supplying 5VDC to something else from a laptop. Are things like a motion activated paintball gun or a light-seeking robot worth talking about if they're using an Arduino or is the whole thing faux pas?

For what it's worth, I ordered a MSP 430.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Getting an Arduino and making projects definitely was a good way to get used to the terminology and basic concepts before moving on to AVR. I'd like to think I would've stuck with it before getting an Arduino... but there's a huge difference in the success you feel from making a light blink with a 555 timer and making a robot that can avoid obstacles. Now that I'm comfortable with Arduino, I've been trying more things that don't involve it.

• Locked thread