Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Just noticed the guys behind Teensy released version 3 with an ARM Cortex-M4 processor (no fpu, unfortunately), with the intention of having it fully working with Teensyduino (Arduino software for the Teensy) in the near future. Could be interesting to have a decent low-power ARM board without necessarily requiring an ARM compiler toolchain for prototyping.

I've been using the Teensy2.0 for a few minor projects and will probably pick some of these newer ones up once things get a bit more complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Alternatively, you could make a pan/tilt rig for a laser pointer (or really small camera) with two servos. If you're lucky, you might be able to power both of them with the micro's current source for less wiring :effort:
I'm not sure about Teensy, but the Uno I have on my desk struggles operating a solo ES08A servo with either USB or wall-socket supply (this model comes packaged into a lot of beginner kits). Tell-tale endless sweeping and/or sweep to it's max range (and further, if it could), a lot of beginners assume busted servo/bad wiring/"something is broken!" when it's generally the servo drawing more current than the supply can handle.

If you're going to play around with servos I'd recommend always working with the assumption that you'll power your servos separately, and only scale back to board power if you're using servos you *know* will work with it.

Also, I bought some loose components from Farnell/Element14 (Australia) a while ago and they've literally been showering me with free poo poo and discounts ever since. I mean I bought maybe 5000 resistors (accidentally, units were in lots of 10) and ~100 shift registers/transistor arrays, nothing too serious or large enough to look like I'm a big player or anything. Probably $30 worth of components, all up.

They're even comping me delivery from the UK on small batches of components that aren't in stock, as long as they fit in a shipping envelope. It's the best thing.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 14, 2012

• Locked thread