Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I got my Stellaris several weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
You power the chip like normal from its own supply.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I was looking at playing around with the ARM Cortex family of microcontrollers, but I'm not sure of what tool chain and programmer to use. I already have several evaluation boards, but I need to be able to implement the chip on my own PCB and program it via JTAG/SW. Does anyone have any advice on where to get started?

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I should have said I'm not new to embedded programming. I've been using Atmel microcontrollers up until now with Atmel Studio and programming them with a JTAG cable. I've played around with TI's Code Composer Studio with their Stellaris Cortex-M4 eval board but have not read anything about their ability to program external chips. I just now found that NXP's LPCXpresso can be used to program their own chips which is pretty much what I was looking for. I read that ST has their own programmer device, but the software support for it seems to be deficient. I will probably just go the LPCXpresso route.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

movax posted:

If it is your first start into microcontrollers

It's not. I said I have been using Atmel microcontrollers.

movax posted:

If you can get away with it, using a simpler 8-bit/16-bit micro (tinyAVR, PIC, MSP430, etc)

I have been and want to move up to something more powerful.

evensevenone posted:

You can use the ST-Link with this: https://github.com/texane/stlink and just use gdb.

Also, the Discovery boards from ST actually have an ST-Link on them, so if you get those to start out with you don't actually need a programmer.

I didn't know that. I have a Discovery board that I haven't touched yet, so that would be useful.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
Has anyone used NXP Cortex M0/3/4 chips, and their LPCOpen library?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
Nevermind, I was having trouble getting SPI to work on their LPC1316 Cortex M3, but their support got back to me. It turns out when setting the IO mode of a pin, the value of reserved bits is important. You can't just set the lower bits to what mode you want and set the rest to zero if there are reserved bits that default to 1.

• Locked thread