Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, but those are also games you don't need VR to play. Sure they're way better in VR, but there's not much new going on with them, and they probably already have their own dedicated threads and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Has that HL2 VR mod been updated to add Vive wand support? The Youtube vids of people playing it with a DK2 and Hydra made it look really cool.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Lemming posted:

Yeah, but those are also games you don't need VR to play. Sure they're way better in VR, but there's not much new going on with them, and they probably already have their own dedicated threads and stuff.

Man this thread started out talking about 3D monitors. You think they talked about games you could only play on a 3D monitor?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

Man this thread started out talking about 3D monitors. You think they talked about games you could only play on a 3D monitor?

A good 3d monitor is also a good monitor

A vr headset is a good.... uh... paperweight? Or 5 paperweights if you got a vive. Good bargain.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh, just something I thought was interesting - the resale price for Oculus headsets on ebay has fallen by a couple hundred dollars in the last few days. I was originally planning on not cancelling my purchase and just selling it when I got it, but it seems to have experienced a sudden huge drop in demand. At this point I think I might just cancel, it looks like it won't be worth anything for resale by the time I actually get my hands on my day one pre-order.

On the other hand, if you want a CV1 the ebay prices are actually starting to look reasonable, and you can have it now instead of waiting however long!

Wish this was the case in the uk. Wish id got my Vive on there before prices started dropping, too.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TomR posted:

They probably talked mostly about how buggy and wonky everything was.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
That's my point. One could go post in a game's thread about a VR issue and have it get buried by regular game chat, or they could post about a game in the VR thread where there is a good chance other people have VR and the game.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

I like this thread (aka the good VR thread) so I can read about all the cool VR poo poo and am glad the PCmasterRace-but-still-console-warriors have left for another thread. Let's continue to enjoy Vive, Rift, cheap Chinese knock offs, and other VR chat here or in the new general thread once Cojawfee gets off his rear end and makes it!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Liquid Penguins posted:

A good 3d monitor is also a good monitor

A vr headset is a good.... uh... paperweight? Or 5 paperweights if you got a vive. Good bargain.

Aren't good 3d monitors all TN?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

theBeaz posted:

I like this thread (aka the good VR thread) so I can read about all the cool VR poo poo and am glad the PCmasterRace-but-still-console-warriors have left for another thread. Let's continue to enjoy Vive, Rift, cheap Chinese knock offs, and other VR chat here or in the new general thread once Cojawfee gets off his rear end and makes it!

:agreed:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pyrotek posted:

Aren't good 3d monitors all TN?

most all of them are because of the high refresh rate required

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cojawfee posted:

I guess the irony is lost on people who at one point complained that a headset exclusive is like making a game exclusive to one brand of monitor and now they've made their own thread for a monitor. I'll just keep posting about VR here. Maybe we do need a new VR thread though. I'm thinking about making a VR megathread once Oculus Touch comes out so there will be less console warrioring about the capabilities of various headsets.

quote:

Stereoscopic 3D Gaming - We are VR.

I think you are posting in that thread right now. Does it say Rift/Vive somewhere that we should be aware of?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think you are posting in that thread right now. Does it say Rift/Vive somewhere that we should be aware of?

Eh, it's pretty old and the OP is dead and the first post is full of irrelevant stuff, and both of the major VR headsets have released. I think a fresh thread isn't inappropriate.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So I checked out AltspaceVR and it's really cool. All the people that had a Rift were chill successful attractive business men and women, and all the Vive owners were drooling idiot babies that made grunting sounds to communicate :twisted:

am i doing this right?

In all seriousness though, I had put it off because I generally don't like hanging out with strangers on the internet, but it really is a pretty awesome experience. A bunch of Rift/Vive/Gear owners and we all had a great time.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
So at first I didn't get how you would be able to 'spin' the cable in the Vive as it's always present but now with some experience I really notice I tend to favor turning in one specific direction when in ~the matrix~.

As a PSA: if your cable isn't running relatively freely and straight, unspin that fucker.

e:

theBeaz posted:

:same:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

So at first I didn't get how you would be able to 'spin' the cable in the Vive as it's always present but now with some experience I really notice I tend to favor turning in one specific direction when in ~the matrix~.

As a PSA: if your cable isn't running relatively freely and straight, unspin that fucker.

e:

Depending on the game I try to avoid doing full sounds, like in Holopoint I never turn past where the cable lies on the floor, it means turning around sometimes takes longer, but at least you don't have the headset disconnect in the middle of a game.

Along those lines I think if the game is encouraging you to spin in too many circles, that's probably a bad thing right now. I'm still talking about Holopoint.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zsinjeh posted:

e:

i definitely noticed this after playing job simulator for a while; always always always make sure your cable is straight and flat after playing

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

Either that or because I'm aware of the cable, I'll favour a 270 degree turn to the left than a 90 to the right

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
After buying a USB card, a couple adapters, and spending a lot of time troubleshooting, I'm pretty sure I have a $600 paperweight Rift. I have a 7970 with only *DVI and Displayport out (Rift is HDMI), the headset passes the connectivity checks, but I get a blank display except one time it gave some bright lines. Very similar to someone else on the Oculus forums who tried more adapters and such than I did and concluded:

quote:

Also From What I Understand, AMD and AIB Partners did not support DisplayPORT++ for the earlier GCN Cards.
Tested on 3 Different GPU's. (all GCN 1.0/1.1)
My Display Ports are 1.2, But I think the 2.0 Actives use DualMode which requires DP++.
So this Summer when AMD 400 Series Launches I'll Look at those.

I dunno, maybe I can still a couple hundo off it on CL and reorder an HMD and put the cash towards a 1080 if the aftermarket ones have more consistent numbers so it at least ain't just sitting here. Talk about a buzzkill.

e: *DVI and Displayport, not HDMI and Displayport. Coffee is good.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 24, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

teh_Broseph posted:

I dunno, maybe I can still a couple hundo off it on CL and reorder an HMD and put the cash towards a 1080 if the aftermarket ones have more consistent numbers so it at least ain't just sitting here. Talk about a buzzkill.
Just RMA it? You got sold a thing that is broken.

Cojawfee posted:

I guess I'll start working on an OP for a new general VR thread. We've got SteamVR, and Oculus as platforms and various headsets. Not to mention GearVR and now the new version of android is going to have a bunch of VR features. "3D Gaming" seems to be totally dead, so the current OP is super out of date.
Yes please! Can I suggest basic hardware&software info/comparison, and then list of decent games on each headset? Bargefink's list of Vive games in his thread is pretty good, worth stealing quoting in totality.

It's annoying that we now have separate threads where cool VR stuff might get posted. If anyone is going to be keeping up with Vive thread too, cross-post any cool stuff that crops up?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

It's annoying that we now have separate threads where cool VR stuff might get posted. If anyone is going to be keeping up with Vive thread too, cross-post any cool stuff that crops up?

Nothing is going to stop you from reading all threads though, just pick the one most relevant to your interests.

I think with time, it's just going to be two different threads anyway, so you might as well call one the Rift thread as both are going to have varied discussions of things that apply to both anyway.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So the whole Oculus Home DRM thing has ensured that I will not be buying from Oculus once the second generation of headsets rolls around. I also wont be buying anything further from Oculus Home.

I don't care if they backtrack at this point. This DRM horseshit has brought to light the worries I had but chose to overlook. I'm not going to be locked into the Oculus store. Trying to be the next Apple when competing products already exist is stupid.

I bought the Rift over a Vive because I had no interest in room-scale experiences and though the Rift was more comfortable, had a slightly better display, and had a better controller design.

I'm hoping that the Vive will have some of its downsides fixed once the second generation rolls around.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My Vive gets in today and I'm pretty eager to get started fooling around with and developing with it. Question to others who have already set up theirs, can you set the basestations outside of the intended play area? I have a shelf that would be pretty ideal, but would fall outside of the cleared area I have by a few feet. I don't mind mounting the stations, but the SO is going to pitch a fit over having cords draped around the place and I'd like to avoid shelling out more for stands or extension cords.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It is ideal to have the tracked area larger than the play area.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.indiegala.com/vrbundle

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

SimonChris posted:

Everyone with a Vive should really try The Cubicle. Saying anything more will spoil the experience.

Cubicle was good. But it made me sick.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Picked up Assetto Corsa last week during the daily deal, and promptly refunded it.

You have to do all your menu stuff with the headset off, which is madness. It failed to properly recognize/configure my G27 3 times. The in-car menu looks like something from 1996.

I'll stick with Project Cars for now, AC has a long way to go for the price they are charging.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Is Cubicle supposed to end after
You see the flying folder in the sky and come back to a somewhat trashed desk? Folders are on the floor and either by design or by glitch switch between red and black intermittenly. It seems like a narrative end, but is there something I'm missing or does it close by itself once you get to the end? I had to close it manually.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

My Vive gets in today and I'm pretty eager to get started fooling around with and developing with it. Question to others who have already set up theirs, can you set the basestations outside of the intended play area? I have a shelf that would be pretty ideal, but would fall outside of the cleared area I have by a few feet. I don't mind mounting the stations, but the SO is going to pitch a fit over having cords draped around the place and I'd like to avoid shelling out more for stands or extension cords.

This is what my play area looks like. Clearly not optimal, but it works.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just want to be able to drag points and save spaces. Is that too much to ask?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I put the new thread up. I've got a few more changes to make to the OP but it's pretty much done.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Opening my Vive tonight was the first time I'd seen or used one. Now that I have a Rift and a Vive, the fanaticism on both sides is starting to make more sense. It's pretty clear that Rift is Apple and Vive is PC.

CV1 is like a streamlined version of the DK2 where everything is easy and just works, with a couple of clever software hacks to make it really purr. Vive is like a DK2 with a bunch of upgrades to core parts and expansions bolted onto it, it looks and feels clunky as hell compared to the sleek CV1, but when everything finally works on the Vive it's so much better - and I don't even have the space for roomscale until I convert the garage.

I do hope Oculus pulls its poo poo together eventually though.

edit: I also suspect that having the controllers massively reduces motion sickness by giving you a big, visible point of reference.

monkey fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 24, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mordaedil posted:

This is what my play area looks like. Clearly not optimal, but it works.

What application is that? Is it bundled in with the Vive setup software?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I put the new thread up. I've got a few more changes to make to the OP but it's pretty much done.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359
Cool. Now request a thread close for this one otherwise we're going to have three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

What application is that? Is it bundled in with the Vive setup software?
I remember it's buried in the menus under dev or advanced or something under the room setup heading

• Locked thread