Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

jack. posted:

A better motion sensor too. I'm stoked to get my hands on this thing but I'm more than happy to wait a few extra months for improvements like these. I never really expected it to ship in December anyway.

Also, is there a camera on the front of it now? It certainly looks like it in the latest prototype pictures:

Augmented reality. See your wifu in realtime inside your own basement environment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I just got giddy at the idea of picture in picture capabilities. Being able to see my peripherals or cup and whatever at just a moment's notice would be aces.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wouldn't it be better with two front cameras, though? That way the augmented reality would be 3D as well, rather than a flat image with 3D elements overlaid.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

Wouldn't it be better with two front cameras, though? That way the augmented reality would be 3D as well, rather than a flat image with 3D elements overlaid.

I have no idea what it would look like if you tried to render a 3D window of the real world inside a virtual 3D display and the two depth fields were not matched.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

On the 3DS some games have text and poo poo rendered just flat on top of a stereoscopic image; it's impossible to focus on both and headache enducing, so I can't imagine 2 images at the same time.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
The delay totally justifies my decision to wait for the consumer version, I think. Of course, I expect the consumer version will be delayed too.

Also, the Doom 3 BFG edition source code is out which probably means Rift support in all the open source Doom3 engine games.

Kachunkachunk posted:

I just got giddy at the idea of picture in picture capabilities. Being able to see my peripherals or cup and whatever at just a moment's notice would be aces.

Yeah, I suspect this might be something they found out after wearing the goggles for a long period of time. God forbid you drop something or have to answer the phone, etc. You'd be totally blind without taking them on and off. I definitely know they were hiring an engineer with augmented reality experience. Rumor has it, Valve has some AR prototypes floating around too.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
You know, the more I think about the switch to a tablet panel, the more I like it. I have to believe that all the LCD manufacturers are working on 300+ DPI 7" tablet panels so the iPad, Google Nexus, Kindle Fire, and Nook can all upgrade next year. And because people break their tablet screens all the drat time, panels will be sold as spare parts, though maybe not in the 10,000+ quantity they might need for a real production run of the consumer version.

A 300 DPI panel will fix most of the complaints about resolution. It probably still won't be perfect, because 300 DPI is only perfect at the distance you'd typically read at, not the 3-4 inches the screen sits from you in a VR headset. The bad news is, they're going to have to include good hardware to scale up HDMI at 1920x1080 or it probably won't work with consoles and phones. I assume they will have DisplayPort for the PC / Mac users.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The old 3D gaming thread has been archived so I'm hoping someone here can answer a question about 3D TVs: I just got an LG tv with the passive cinema3d system, does nvidia's 3DTV software work with that display technology? I have a GTX470 which is listed on the nvidia system requirements page but my exact TV model (47LM4600) is not listed there. For what it's worth my PS3's 3D output looks really good on Shadow of the Colossus and ICO.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's no reason it shouldn't. If you're using the 3DTV Play software your videocard is outputting standard HDMI 1.4a framepacked 3D video. Unlike the normal 3D Vision stuff which is totally proprietary and requires the computer to drive the 3D glasses, your TV is capable of decoding the 3D and driving the glasses (e: on systems that have glasses :v:) without any specific driver support. The display technology is totally irrelevant to the standard.

Unless nvidia locks out TVs that aren't on their list for some reason. But that would be too stupid, right?

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 11, 2012

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I would assume that is the case but I really had no idea if nvidia was supporting that HDMI spec. Since you brought it up, it looks like they do support it: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/15/nvidias-3dtv-play-finally-solves-the-hdmi-1-4-gap-for-3d-vision/ So I guess I should put down the money to try it out! Another trip report: Wipeout HD looks fantastic in 3D. Unfortunately, Uncharted 3 does not fare as well, there is serious image degradation when playing in 3D and the jaggies are unbearable. Just the hardware showing its limits.

kersonan
Feb 11, 2007
I have the first gen HMZ-T1 that I have a TrackIR5 unit hooked up to, its stunning for the arma2 games. happy to field any questions.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

kersonan posted:

I have the first gen HMZ-T1 that I have a TrackIR5 unit hooked up to, its stunning for the arma2 games. happy to field any questions.
I just googled what that is and it says it only has a field of view of 45 degrees. Isn't that ridiculously small?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

fuckpot posted:

I just googled what that is and it says it only has a field of view of 45 degrees. Isn't that ridiculously small?

It's not "ridiculously small" compared to its modern brethren(Rift aside), no. My Olympus Eye-Treks(circa 2000) at 37.5 degrees are right up there with almost everything else today, they just don't have the resolution. :(

But it would still be like looking at a large LCD at 6-8 feet away, yeah.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

fuckpot posted:

Keep in mind, it's made primarily for watching movies. You want the wearer to be able to see the whole screen at once clearly or else it winds up being more annoying than anything. Even with games, a massive field of view would cause issues with the vast majority of interfaces out there. Headsets with high fields of view are generally made in conjunction with software or other hardware for properly formatted content.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

homeless snail posted:

Unless nvidia locks out TVs that aren't on their list for some reason. But that would be too stupid, right?

As far as I am aware, that's exactly what nVidia does. 3DTV Play is just like Vision in that it only works on supported TVs/monitors. However, I think the workaround is usually fairly simple, just using a modified monitor INF file to think your PC is plugged into a supported monitor. Since it's just frame-packed 3D, that should do the trick. Though that can be issues if you want HDMI audio as well, but it's usually fixable by trying a few different INFs.

The MTBS forums probably are the best place to look for this info.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Latest news roundup:
Plenty of raves at CES including nearly winning best in show just about everywhere with a poll.
Michael Abrash says Valve ported Team Fortress 2 to the Rift, but there's doubts it will be released http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/15/3880790/valve-virtual-reality-game-developers-conference-2013
There's a new open source driver for the Rift that's going to attempt to convert existing games for it: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15570

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

El_Matarife posted:

Latest news roundup:
Plenty of raves at CES including nearly winning best in show just about everywhere with a poll.
Michael Abrash says Valve ported Team Fortress 2 to the Rift, but there's doubts it will be released http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/15/3880790/valve-virtual-reality-game-developers-conference-2013
There's a new open source driver for the Rift that's going to attempt to convert existing games for it: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15570

Now hold on, that article doesn't actually say they ported to the Rift, just generic VR, then said they had unspecified problems with it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
We'll have to wait until the talk itself but Valve has known about the Rift and had its hands on from its first showing so I think it is very likely they've had time with it. I'll be very interested to see what Abrash has to say since such an influential company could go a long way towards educating developers to avoid pitfalls when designing their game for use with VR. I haven't even put on my 3D glasses in a few months just so I can be "fresh" for when this thing comes out so you know I'm stoked for it!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Valve might have one though. The guy in charge of building prototypes at OculusVR has said he has built over ten and they don't stick around very long before they get sent out. I can only assume that some of these are going to people in various industries.

I can't wait any longer for my devkit so I'm working on building a DIY version to hold me over. All you need is a couple lenses from ebay(the same ones Palmer used in his initial prototype), a 5.6" or 7" screen from ebay and some foam core board. To make it wearable after that, I'll either use a face shield headband or build something with a goggles frame. I'm going to use the TrackIR I already have for the tracking initially.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I built the DIY Rift to play with until I get my devkit that I was talking about. The stereoscopic 3D is surprisingly good from the Youtube videos I have watched. For video that fills the whole screen properly for the Rift, it looks pretty immersive. I haven't setup my tracker yet so I haven't had that "OMG this is insane!" which I think only happens when you combine the tracker with the display.

I built it for about $250. $215 for the screen, $24 for the lenses, couple dollars of foam board, tape and hot glue. I need to find or make a new head strap. The one I stole from a pair of goggles is too short and the band is tight enough that it smashes my nose.

It's not pretty but it works:

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2013

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hahaha, goddamn. That's some Wall-E looking poo poo right there. Maybe not an A+ for looks but you win on dedication alone.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Hahaha, goddamn. That's some Wall-E looking poo poo right there. Maybe not an A+ for looks but you win on dedication alone.

Once I get my 3D printer up and running again, I'm hoping I can design and print a fancy shell that replaces the front face of the monitor I used.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
That's really awesome. Do you have a parts list and some instructions?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

That's really awesome. Do you have a parts list and some instructions?

Here's the stuff I used:

1x 5D II 5.6" Digital LCD 1280*800 HDMI DSLR Camera Monitor +Sun Shade Cover +Power (spring for the $9 to get it in 3 days or so from Hong Kong, rather than 3 weeks)

2x 5x pocket loupe magnifier with Aspheric Lens (I bought these but they seem to be the same as the first)

I used a detachable foam liner from a pair of goggles but you can hack up just about any large pair goggles(think motocross ones) and make them work.

My template for the lens holder in AutoCAD DWG or PDF based this guy's templates: http://bitcortex.com/oculus-libre-open-source-hmd-inspired-by-oculus-rift

It's pretty simple how it all goes together. Cut out the template from foam board, tape it into a box(I used T-pins for a little more rigidity/ease of assembly), hot glue or tape the lenses onto the top of the box. Tape box to monitor. Tape goggles to top of box above lenses. Figure out a way to fix it to your head or just hold it.

I haven't got my tracker connected yet but I went with a YEI 3-Space Sensor. If you're not a programmer, you probably want to get a Hillcrest tracker if you just want to try out programs other people have made or use the DirectX wrapper that is coming out soon. The YEI 3-Space Sensor is just an overall better design with better tracking/less error and I plan on messing with this one mostly in Unity. Neither of these trackers are the ones being used in the official Rift devkit device.

There are other people in the DIY Rift thread on the MTBS3D forum that are using 7" LCDs to get closer to the actual devkit version. You can even make a holder for a Nexus 7 and use that. If you have a 3D printer, one person already made a Nexus 7 holder with optics that you can print. However, I think it would be even better if it were modified to use the 5x pocket loupe lenses above. They're going to better quality than the children's binoculars the guy used in his. If I get a Nexus 7 before the Rift comes out, I might even print one up.

Here's a picture of that Nexus 7 holder:

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 27, 2013

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
drat I didn't realize these things were so cheap to make these days. I'm not a developer, but I think I might make a version of this over the summer just as a project. Even though there's not many games that could utilize it atm, I think it'd be a fun thing to play around with.

By then, I might be able to find a slightly better display around that price range, too.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Yeah, rumor is the next generation of 7" tablets will all be high DPI, and several of the 5" phones are 1920x1080 already. I'm sure they'll be packaged like that DSLR monitor in the next few months.

I'm curious as to how the Nexus 7 thing works, I didn't any tablet could take HDMI / DVI input like a monitor.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I'm really interested and also pretty anxious to hear Michael Abrash's talk about Valve's attempt to add Rift support to TF2. My hope was that a bunch of older titles retrofitted with VR would drive early adopters, but if there's something that makes it extremely difficult or unworkable, that could be a problem. Also, his earlier blog post about latency issues made me wonder what he actually thinks of the Rift, as their prototype obviously still has them.

I just want this thing to take off like a rocket and usher in a VR revolution. Is that too much to ask? :ohdear:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

I'm curious as to how the Nexus 7 thing works, I didn't any tablet could take HDMI / DVI input like a monitor.
As I understand it, you use a wireless desktop viewer on the Nexus 7 to display the video from your computer on the tablet. You use another app to send the motion input from the tablet back to the PC.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Hey so I guess version 1.0 of the open source driver is out now. Have you tried it with your DIY rig?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

Hey so I guess version 1.0 of the open source driver is out now. Have you tried it with your DIY rig?

I haven't. I didn't have an evening last night, it was spent at work fixing servers after a power outage. :( I don't have the tracker he supports either, so I'll have to write support for my tracker and re-compile it. Hoping to get to all that soon though.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Skip the tracker for a night or two and just use it as a badass HMD. I don't know how or if he hacked in a separate crosshair for truly independent head and gun, and I'm sure aiming with your head is going to either give you a headache or nausea in short order. None of the supported games scream "we have head tracker support out of the box" at least.

Don't forget to submit whatever code you write into the project. It'll help them and it will free you from some of the maintenance burden going forward.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

Skip the tracker for a night or two and just use it as a badass HMD. I don't know how or if he hacked in a separate crosshair for truly independent head and gun, and I'm sure aiming with your head is going to either give you a headache or nausea in short order. None of the supported games scream "we have head tracker support out of the box" at least.
Oh yeah, that's true. Though my tracker does have a joystick/mouse emu mode.

quote:

Don't forget to submit whatever code you write into the project. It'll help them and it will free you from some of the maintenance burden going forward.
Definitely, already forked it on github just so I have a copy in case he pulls it. Someone already made a fake website for it and was just waiting for him to release the code to fill in a download which seemed real shady.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
Apparently this is going to be on Jimmy Fallon tonight.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
The video for Fallon is online here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/31/3936288/josh-late-night-jimmy-fallon-oculus-rift-razer-edge-blackberry-z10-video

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oculus_Rift#Software I hadn't heard that Minecraft is going to support the Rift. That may just be the killer app for the dev kit if it lands in the next few months. And the dev kit may sell a whole lot more units than Palmer expects or even wants. I suspect he might be losing money on each one sold, hence the insistence on "Are you a developer? If not, don't buy one".

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Someone has Half-Life 2 working on their DIY Rift. They also have weapon tracking, which looks pretty neat, if not even more goofy than just wearing the Rift on your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2rL-lBxRs

I'm in for the kickstarter run of dev kits. Can't wait.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Wow, that looks incredibly slick sometimes. The corner peeking and very natural looking gun handling makes a huge difference, and we're just watching a YouTube video. Playing the game would be another thing altogether (the whole point of the kit).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Daedalus1134 posted:

Someone has Half-Life 2 working on their DIY Rift. They also have weapon tracking, which looks pretty neat, if not even more goofy than just wearing the Rift on your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2rL-lBxRs

I'm in for the kickstarter run of dev kits. Can't wait.

Man, that looks like a lot of loving fun. The consumer version can't come soon enough.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just ordered all the parts to make my own Rift. Using the 1280x800 7 inch screen someone linked on the DIY rift forums. I'll post a quick build log after all the poo poo comes. So far, with the screen, lenses, hillcrest sensor and controller board (included with screen) I'm only at 245 bucks.

I needed to upgrade my graphics card, so a little bonus is going from a 8800 GT to 660 GTX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Just ordered all the parts to make my own Rift. Using the 1280x800 7 inch screen someone linked on the DIY rift forums. I'll post a quick build log after all the poo poo comes. So far, with the screen, lenses, hillcrest sensor and controller board (included with screen) I'm only at 245 bucks.

I needed to upgrade my graphics card, so a little bonus is going from a 8800 GT to 660 GTX.

I'm interested in how it goes for you. I really want a Rift, but I do want to wait and buy the consumer version a generation or two down the line. I'd feel better about buying the assorted ingredients than I would a dev-kit, because I'll be able to more easily re-use them for another project. That, and I'm not a developer.

• Locked thread