Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I think most if not all Vive games work with the Hydra. Valve wrote some drivers for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

monkey posted:

Anyone know of any games or demos with hand controllers that will work with a rift CV1 and razer hydra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FDAZKaCbiw

It looks somewhat miserable tho

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Poetic Justice posted:

I think most if not all Vive games work with the Hydra. Valve wrote some drivers for them.

Looking into it, seems it was fan made, you have to install the Sixense SDK and the OpenVR SDK, then grab the source off github and build it yourself, then point steamVR at it. Wondering if I should even bother, considering my vive arrives in a couple of days... Sixense by now really ought to have published a downloadable exe for end users that just sorts all that poo poo out, and for context this is coming from the guy who wrote a unity plugin for the hydra in Jan 2012 - long before sixense ever got around to it. :/

I don't think surgeon simulator works with the current rift drivers at all yet, or does it? At least it doesn't seem to work for me.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Wanted to buy Project Cars and accidentally got two because I'm dumb/PayPal messed up so I have a spare CD key for Steam, if anyone is interested shoot me a pm - I can do 15 euros/17 bucks. gone

Also my new cycling game is working well - turns out making splines in UE4 is like making rollercoasters, so I've been seeing how fast I can go without puking (pretty fast)

ed: has anyone tried flyinside/FSX with the vive yet? I found War Thunder too nauseating/claustrophobic, but because planes are cool wanted to try FS

Rockybar fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 22, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

monkey posted:

Looking into it, seems it was fan made, you have to install the Sixense SDK and the OpenVR SDK, then grab the source off github and build it yourself, then point steamVR at it. Wondering if I should even bother, considering my vive arrives in a couple of days... Sixense by now really ought to have published a downloadable exe for end users that just sorts all that poo poo out, and for context this is coming from the guy who wrote a unity plugin for the hydra in Jan 2012 - long before sixense ever got around to it. :/

I don't think surgeon simulator works with the current rift drivers at all yet, or does it? At least it doesn't seem to work for me.

That sounds like a hassle, if you are getting your Vive in a few days I would just wait personally, no need to experience motion controls half-assed and potentially buggy just to get the experience a little bit earlier imo.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thank you for pointing to Dolphin VR. I dug up the wiimote, plugged in my IR headtracker sensor and spent the last hour toying with Lego Star Wars, Punch Out!!! Mario Kart and Alone in the Dark.

There's a lot of configuring to be done and hopefully some good updates, but that's essentially doubled available VR content right there.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cheston posted:

Has anyone had issues with hiccups and framerate drops using their Vive, despite meeting the min spec? I have a 970 and hooked my Vive up to a USB 3.0 port, but still get constant dropped frames. Job Simulator is unplayable for more than like 10 seconds.

**It wasn't this bad the first time I used it.

Make sure your graphics driver hasn't crashed and gone into safe mode. Apparently Nvidia cards do this a lot when overclocked. I'm not sure if anything other than a reboot gets it back into normal mode.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Poetic Justice posted:

That sounds like a hassle, if you are getting your Vive in a few days I would just wait personally, no need to experience motion controls half-assed and potentially buggy just to get the experience a little bit earlier imo.

I was looking into it mostly because once the vive arrives I probably won't be too keen to work on anything without hand controllers. I had a bunch of little demos going last year with the hydra /dk2 that don't work anymore as they use the old rift drivers, and now it looks like the upgrade path for those is to ditch the oculus libraries completely and use OpenVR instead.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I'll need Oculus Home and Revive just to get it working? I'm good.

I'm guessing it doesn't mention it since it's a post on the oculus forums, but Dolphin VR since build 8949 can use SteamVR, don't have to do anything with Revive or Oculus Home.

The developer 2EyeGuy sometimes puts newer info and builds up on reddit, but be careful because his post history is at least 50% islamophobic bigotry (he just drew mohammed in tilt brush, that edgelord :negative:)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

monkey posted:

I was looking into it mostly because once the vive arrives I probably won't be too keen to work on anything without hand controllers. I had a bunch of little demos going last year with the hydra /dk2 that don't work anymore as they use the old rift drivers, and now it looks like the upgrade path for those is to ditch the oculus libraries completely and use OpenVR instead.

I honestly wouldn't spend any time working with the Hydras, if it was me personally.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Nobody likes the sliding tile puzzle. Nobody in the whole loving world. Stop putting them in games you morons!

It's me, I love the sliding tile puzzle. From Final Fantasy 1 to all those Myst clones that have it.

I like all those other throwback minigames too. The Pipe Dream clone in Bioshock is actually a better game than Bioshock, there, I said it.

Edit: VR related, I hope people make classic 2D games in VR at a giant scale, and just use VR to let you pull your head back for a super wide zoom of the arena. Stuff like http://slither.io but being able to see the whole map.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 22, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cheston posted:

Has anyone had issues with hiccups and framerate drops using their Vive, despite meeting the min spec? I have a 970 and hooked my Vive up to a USB 3.0 port, but still get constant dropped frames. Job Simulator is unplayable for more than like 10 seconds.

**It wasn't this bad the first time I used it.

Interestingly enough, I had something similar. I'm on a 970 and Job Sim is hardly unplayable; occasionally I'll catch a dropped frame when I swing my head, enough to be noticeable and annoying but not even close to as bad as you're describing. What's interesting is Job Sim was one of the first games I played, and the first time it worked fine.

Of course the first thing I suspected was some kind of memory leak or driver issue and tried it immediately after restarting my computer, and got the same issue. Kinda weird.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Zero VGS posted:

It's me, I love the sliding tile puzzle. From Final Fantasy 1 to all those Myst clones that have it.

I'm the guy that makes bioware put in the towers of Hanoi puzzle.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Manky posted:

I'm guessing it doesn't mention it since it's a post on the oculus forums, but Dolphin VR since build 8949 can use SteamVR, don't have to do anything with Revive or Oculus Home.

The developer 2EyeGuy sometimes puts newer info and builds up on reddit, but be careful because his post history is at least 50% islamophobic bigotry (he just drew mohammed in tilt brush, that edgelord :negative:)

Good lord, could you link me to the latest build because I'm only finding a post from a year or so ago and I'm apparently terrible at searching reddit.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Kazy posted:

Make sure your graphics driver hasn't crashed and gone into safe mode. Apparently Nvidia cards do this a lot when overclocked. I'm not sure if anything other than a reboot gets it back into normal mode.

This is an actual thing. When it happens, my GeForce Experience tray icon displays an exclamation mark despite there not being a new driver available. Not sure if that's supposed to happen but when it does I'm usually forced to reboot and my framerate goes back to normal.

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...

Mordaedil posted:

Which is an situation that only is going to lose them customers. I just don't see what they have to gain by limited their customer base and acting like spoiled rich kids as if their storefront is an exclusive club. It'd be like if Steam suddenly shut down all Windows support and offered no refunds as they would no longer support anything that wasn't on SteamOS. Can you not see how retarded that would be?

If you consider the VR market "PC Gamers", then yes, they'll lose market and alienate their customers. They're acting with a much bigger pie in mind. I've shown my Rift off to a bunch of people this weekend, all of whom had the exact same reaction of "This is going to change everything." None of those people have touched a PC in years, let alone gamed on one. Establishing Oculus as a platform and not a peripheral is the long term move to get those customers. It's entirely possible they're wrong with this strategy. but to it's a deliberate strategy that's not treating the people reading this thread as the primary audience.

KakerMix posted:

As for Oculus' approach I do think it's bad for the reasons people have said. It feels like Oculus is fighting itself, like executives are saying one thing, engineers are saying another and there is no cohesive message. Combined with Oculus going from the darling upstart to owned-by-Facebook and the tinfoil brigade being sort of justified now by Oculus itself and it's real easy to see why people are so upset and up in arms about their electronic toys. If Oculus was alone and in a vacuum then yeah sure you can extrapolate out success. But they have Google, Valve, Sony, HTC, and VR being very new and a hard sell unless you see it for yourself (and the Vive is a much harder-hitting 'holy poo poo wow' demo in that regard) and Oculus maybe fighting itself does not an Apple-of-VR make. You have to have a base to work from before you try to exploit it.
And speculating is just something fun to do and baseball is boring as poo poo.

This I agree with. Oculus, as a company, has gone through a hell of a transition in just a few years. I'm sure the founders set out with a much smaller vision and far more open peripherally minded approach. I don't know if Facebook changed that vision 'maliciously', or if that change was a result of the scale of investment required, or simply the realization that to do VR right they needed a more holistic approach. But changed it did. It's a PR mistake in the face of the very, very small number of people paying attention to it right now, but if you're thinking as long term as they are, the whole thing is a big fat nothing. Palmer needs to shut up, and the tinfoil brigade needs to take a breathe and get into the real world.

Also baseball is boring but the right kind of "grab yourself a cold one, sit back, and enjoy" boring.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

Good lord, could you link me to the latest build because I'm only finding a post from a year or so ago and I'm apparently terrible at searching reddit.

That oculus post is actually the newest build I've seen, I don't think it's really any different from the 8949 build I've been using but if you want to try that it's here; get steamvr running and then fire up something in dolphin and it should work. (To varying degrees, metroid prime is very cool but hella glitchy)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Manky posted:

That oculus post is actually the newest build I've seen, I don't think it's really any different from the 8949 build I've been using but if you want to try that it's here; get steamvr running and then fire up something in dolphin and it should work. (To varying degrees, metroid prime is very cool but hella glitchy)

This kicks so much rear end, playing Wind Waker and Pikmin was really fun. The framerate is kinda low on my GTX 970, any settings I should mess with to get it looking better?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

This kicks so much rear end, playing Wind Waker and Pikmin was really fun. The framerate is kinda low on my GTX 970, any settings I should mess with to get it looking better?

Try messing around with the various graphics settings, there are all sorts of flags for stuff that might make it run slightly better or horribly gently caress it up. I have a 970 as well and at the end of the day I think it's just not quite good enough and it's always going to be janky.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It seems like all of the settings I messed with didn't do much other than make it worse. Guess it's time for a 1080.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

Try messing around with the various graphics settings, there are all sorts of flags for stuff that might make it run slightly better or horribly gently caress it up. I have a 970 as well and at the end of the day I think it's just not quite good enough and it's always going to be janky.

Pretty much exactly my reply, too (also have a 970)

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Well, the problem with the "Oculus is going for non-gamers" strategy is that compared to the Vive, everything about the Rift seems to be targeted specifically towards gamers: better visual quality at the expense of room scale tracking, an xb1 gamepad instead of motion controls, core titles are space sims and racing games. Non-gamers don't care about how comfortable it is to wear for extended periods, or whether the SDE is slightly reduced, or whether the optical sweet spot is bigger-- these are VR nerd concerns. I've shown both systems to many people, and the thing that tends to get the strongest reactions out of non-gamers is Tilt Brush.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Hierophant posted:

Well, the problem with the "Oculus is going for non-gamers" strategy is that compared to the Vive, everything about the Rift seems to be targeted specifically towards gamers: better visual quality at the expense of room scale tracking, an xb1 gamepad instead of motion controls, core titles are space sims and racing games. Non-gamers don't care about how comfortable it is to wear for extended periods, or whether the SDE is slightly reduced, or whether the optical sweet spot is bigger-- these are VR nerd concerns. I've shown both systems to many people, and the thing that tends to get the strongest reactions out of non-gamers is Tilt Brush.

It's for good reason. Tilt brush is magical.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Store exclusivity is an annoyance at worst, as long as you trust the store you're buying from.

The problems come when a store undermines that trust, whether through poor security, ill-conceived rootkits, drive-wiping bugs, or whatever. Oculus had been doing decently on store trust issues up until now, but adding usage restrictions to titles users have already paid for is definitely going to put doubts into people's minds.

Might be related to the lower brightness on the Rift compared to the Vive? I don't know if anyone's done comparisons between the DK2 and the CV1, but the DK2 had a mains connection so it wouldn't surprise me if it were brighter too. A darker screen would mean you need to dilate your eyes more, which I think is more tiring.

The Rift Is a good bit brighter than the Vive and even the DK2, however the pressure on my face could be what is doing it since my DK2 used to make me sleepy, then after I got the About Face kit for it, I was able to wear the drat thing for hours. Really shouldn't have sold it.

Though I will try moving it around a bit and changing the IPD setting a bit too, see if that helps. Always being tired from bad sleep routines doesn't help thing either.

Hamma
Mar 28, 2004
First time I used the vive I used it for a straight 4 hour session with no nausea or side effects. Dk2 always made me sick as a dog around 30 mins in.
Since then I've found I can use the vive indefinately if I've had a good night sleep, but if I'm already tired or fatigued before putting on the headset I get mild headaches/dizzy fairly quick and have to take it off.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is the controller tracking affected by USB speed?

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Ziploc posted:

I don't think speed has any effect, however the USB chipset you have can have a big effect. People have had issues with the Vive controllers using their USB 3.0 ports, and have switched to USB 2 (that are running on a different driver/chipset) and it has resolved their issues.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
My Vive is due to arrive tomorrow, I'm the blue dot in the bottom right (Sydney), here's the fedex tracking path it's taken so far, which started 5 days ago... Something tells me it's not going to be here when they say it will...

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Maybe that's the last place it checked in, and it's on a direct flight to Sydney and will land sometime tonight and be delivered tomorrow? Or maybe you're hosed, I dunno.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Hamma posted:

First time I used the vive I used it for a straight 4 hour session with no nausea or side effects. Dk2 always made me sick as a dog around 30 mins in.
Since then I've found I can use the vive indefinately if I've had a good night sleep, but if I'm already tired or fatigued before putting on the headset I get mild headaches/dizzy fairly quick and have to take it off.

I've definitely noticed that the Vive seems to cause significantly less nausea than the CV1 even for seated games like Elite Dangerous. I'm not sure what causes it, but my suspicion is some kind of subtle stereo/warping difference, simply because they can be very hard to diagnose (for example, inverted stereo [negative virtual ipd] and missing stereo [zero virtual ipd] are surprisingly hard to identify unless you know what you're looking for).

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Hierophant posted:

I've definitely noticed that the Vive seems to cause significantly less nausea than the CV1 even for seated games like Elite Dangerous. I'm not sure what causes it, but my suspicion is some kind of subtle stereo/warping difference, simply because they can be very hard to diagnose (for example, inverted stereo [negative virtual ipd] and missing stereo [zero virtual ipd] are surprisingly hard to identify unless you know what you're looking for).

I think you're right that it might be the IPD adjustment causing some eye strain/nausea. With the Rift I used that green crosshair menu and set my IPD so it was the sharpest possible, but then backing that off slightly wider helped with my eyestrain.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Is it possible to switch brush hands via software in tilt brush or is it just manually by switching hands? I feel 80% sure I managed to the first time I tried but haven't been able to replicate. An annoying hassle when you've tied them on with the straps

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

DrBox posted:

I think you're right that it might be the IPD adjustment causing some eye strain/nausea. With the Rift I used that green crosshair menu and set my IPD so it was the sharpest possible, but then backing that off slightly wider helped with my eyestrain.

Yeah, the green lines are clearest for me at 65mm but I know that my IPD is 69mm, setting it back out to 68 or 69 prevents eyestrain for me as well.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

What's a good IPD setting for when your hotseating with mates - should I go for national average or err toward narrower/wider?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
National average should be a good average :v:
However isn't it easy enough to show them quickly to do it first and then get going? Ocular migraine/eyestrain is a bitch and everyone has different threshold for it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah I'd figure everyone's number out ahead of time and just have them remember it and dial it in real quick when it's their turn.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Everyone with a Vive should really try The Cubicle. Saying anything more will spoil the experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I tried it when I first got my vive. Some things happened for a bit and then it just stopped and I had no idea if it was over or broken or what.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Manky posted:

How is this in VR? Like, do you actually feel presence? Can you control the camera with your head? How "VR" is it really?

Ziploc posted:

BossTweed posted:

I don't think speed has any effect, however the USB chipset you have can have a big effect. People have had issues with the Vive controllers using their USB 3.0 ports, and have switched to USB 2 (that are running on a different driver/chipset) and it has resolved their issues.

Make sure you turn down the VIVE camera update rate, if its set to the full refresh it'll fill up the USB's bandwidth and mess up the whole tracking system. Turn the camera way down if you haven't already and things'll be a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

DrBox posted:

Didn't get as much time in the Rift as I had planned. (Again, ugh) but I will say after bringing the IPD slider a little more to the right on the Rift, seemed to allow my eyes to relax a bit more for sure.

Still wish I could get my AboutFace pads back or some new ones dammit I miss those.

• Locked thread