Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

One of my vive lenses has gone pure white. I can't see anything until I reboot the vive headset and it works perfectly again. This is a weird bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

One of my vive lenses has gone pure white. I can't see anything until I reboot the vive headset and it works perfectly again. This is a weird bug.

I've had a few issues with weird display behavior and I think it's to do with the HDMI cable becoming loose in the headset.

Sometimes I'll be using it and I'll see red "snow"/"static" laid over the image. One time before it was such that when I used the headset for a few minutes the screen would glitch out and the headset would turn off. Luckily the second thing hasn't happened since the first time I opened the headset flap and made sure the HDMI was plugged in snuggly.

The red snow thing still happens every once in a while but replugging the HDMI cable in inside the headset and resetting everything seems to fix it. I just wish I knew a quick fix to stop it from becoming loose.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

How is this in VR? Like, do you actually feel presence? Can you control the camera with your head? How "VR" is it really?

Absolutely VR.

The hud is a problem in some games because in that environment it appears as a 2d rectangle framing the centre area you'd normally see on a tv/monitor. Sometimes its a transparent box with lives etc, other games its an arty frame, or it can be an a dizzying repeating mirror effect and mess up your day. You can adjust it in dolphin to be tiny and out of the way, but occasionally you need to check it.

If you solved that, the pop-in in areas that the game didn't think it had to render, and a few other details, you could probably sell, say, Alone in the Dark (2008) in your VR store of choice right now.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

How is this in VR? Like, do you actually feel presence? Can you control the camera with your head? How "VR" is it really?

I actually haven't tried anything except MPrime, but for that: yes, yes, and yes.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I would like a movement system where you simply rotate the environment when you reach the edge of the play area. I've now tried Cosmic Wandering, which uses the experimental Walkabout locomotion system, which does just that. Overall, I thought it very worked well for travelling relatively short distances. I quickly got used to dragging the environment with me as I turned, and exploring areas a few times the size of my play area felt very natural.

Unfortunately, I don't think it worked quite as well for travelling longer distances in a straight line. Constantly having to turn everything 180 degrees becomes a chore and the Vive cable gets tangled up. One thing I think might work would be to combine Walkabout with a long scale teleport, so you explore relatively small areas with Walkabout and teleport between them.

At the very least, I wish more games would give you the option to rotate the play area. The only other game I've tried that does this is The Gallery. My play area is very narrow, so it's annoying when the game insists on placing the narrow end along the direction I would like to walk.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 23, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This is pretty cool and gives me something to do with my Leap that has been gathering dust in my closet until Touch comes out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4kibeq/its_possible_to_mark_out_full_roomscale_with/

posted:

It's possible to mark out full roomscale with chaparone bounds enabled using leap motion on rift using SteamVR.

A bit tricky but can be done! I had to get on the ground with the mouse and leap mounted rift to show my hands as controllers to get through the setup process, but now have full roomscale chaparone popping up in my environments on the rift. [2.5 x 3.5 metres approx] EDIT : github link https://github.com/cbuchner1/driver_leap

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SimonChris posted:

Everyone with a Vive should really try The Cubicle. Saying anything more will spoil the experience.

That was really stupid and my only conclusion is that you were one of its developers trying to boost your download numbers.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

This is pretty cool and gives me something to do with my Leap that has been gathering dust in my closet until Touch comes out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4kibeq/its_possible_to_mark_out_full_roomscale_with/

Your mileage may vary but the hand->wand mapping is pretty janky. Between flipping around like crazy, not registering fingers properly, the "thumb-to-palm" trackpad being a complete crapshoot, etc I gave up on trying to have fun with it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
:siren:Vive thread up boys!:siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777259

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

A good thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got my Rift VR cover. it seems to work ok, better than the DK2 one but not great. I'll have to see how the vive one is whenever I get it.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

My VR cover is apparently coming from Singapore, so it'll be quite some time before I get it I suppose.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cojawfee posted:

I got my Rift VR cover. it seems to work ok, better than the DK2 one but not great. I'll have to see how the vive one is whenever I get it.

My Rift VR cover isn't that great. If I have the "lip" of the cover over the top part of the faceplate, it activates the proximity sensor. There seem to be a lot of QA issues with it, unfortunately.

My Vive one is great, though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
After hearing so many rave reviews, I'm definitely disappointed with my VRCover too. It is a bit too big and like Kazy the top will activate the prox. sensor if I'm not careful. I was expecting there to be some sort of elasticity or a drawstring or something. I'll try drying it on high heat and getting it to shrink that might help, if it doesn't it's gonna be regulated for when I demo my Rift to people. Also, it sounds weird, but I don't like how it mostly gets rid of the nosegap either.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The nosegap isn't really very noticeable most of the time and is useful for quickly glancing down at stuff on your table/desk. I liked it in the DK2 and I like it in the CV1

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

After hearing so many rave reviews, I'm definitely disappointed with my VRCover too. It is a bit too big and like Kazy the top will activate the prox. sensor if I'm not careful. I was expecting there to be some sort of elasticity or a drawstring or something. I'll try drying it on high heat and getting it to shrink that might help, if it doesn't it's gonna be regulated for when I demo my Rift to people. Also, it sounds weird, but I don't like how it mostly gets rid of the nosegap either.

I also noticed this got rid of the nosegap somewhat. I guess that's good for some people but I use the nosegap all the time to quickly look at my keyboard to hit it because Assetto Corsa is against customizing buttons for some reason. I guess this is the part where someone comes in and says "If only there was a camera on the front" but the vive camera takes forever to start up and it's much faster to just lift the headset up a bit and look for myself.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I also noticed this got rid of the nosegap somewhat. I guess that's good for some people but I use the nosegap all the time to quickly look at my keyboard to hit it because Assetto Corsa is against customizing buttons for some reason. I guess this is the part where someone comes in and says "If only there was a camera on the front" but the vive camera takes forever to start up and it's much faster to just lift the headset up a bit and look for myself.

Heh, well they have their own thread now so hopefully those kinda of comments and the Rift bashing (it's already started lol) can stay there. And yeah, I didn't realize how often I used the nosegap until it was gone.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

in return i think this thread should be renamed the nosegap appreciation station

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess the irony is lost on people who at one point complained that a headset exclusive is like making a game exclusive to one brand of monitor and now they've made their own thread for a monitor. I'll just keep posting about VR here. Maybe we do need a new VR thread though. I'm thinking about making a VR megathread once Oculus Touch comes out so there will be less console warrioring about the capabilities of various headsets.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
A general 3D/VR thread is good though. We'll probably see a bunch more 3rd party headsets coming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess I'll start working on an OP for a new general VR thread. We've got SteamVR, and Oculus as platforms and various headsets. Not to mention GearVR and now the new version of android is going to have a bunch of VR features. "3D Gaming" seems to be totally dead, so the current OP is super out of date.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 24, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Don't forget OSVR and StarVR. :downs:
http://www.osvr.org/
http://www.starvr.com/

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Sounds good to me! :)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Because everyone loves comparisons here are a couple pictures demonstrating the pixel density of the Rift vs the Vive.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4kqpao/rift_vive_pixel_density_comparison/

nothing to see here

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 24, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
What's the source on those? I haven't noticed a difference in sharpness of the image around the center to be that drastic.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

What's the source on those? I haven't noticed a difference in sharpness of the image around the center to be that drastic.

Oh oops thought I posted it. Here
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4kqpao/rift_vive_pixel_density_comparison/

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Did they set manual white balance, shutter speed and aperture on their camera when they took those?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, I don't really buy it. The text is literally unreadable in the Vive in that picture and that's just not accurate. The sweet spot is a lot smaller but in that area the sharpness is comparable, although I'd say the screen door effect is a bit worse.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TomR posted:

Did they set manual white balance, shutter speed and aperture on their camera when they took those?

He wrote this:
I used a D5200, because i didnt build a rig to get everything fixed i left shutter, aperture and iso on auto, my main goal was to show the pixel density where these settings dont add / substract anything meaningful to / from the picture. What really surprised me is that the pictures still came out really closely ( as close as seeing a small cutout from a vr headset to actually wearing it can get ) to what i see color / brightness wise when im wearing them

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
So the answer is no. Any brightness or saturation comparisons are worthless then.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TomR posted:

So the answer is no. Any brightness or saturation comparisons are worthless then.

Good point, actually!

Lemming posted:

Yeah, I don't really buy it. The text is literally unreadable in the Vive in that picture and that's just not accurate. The sweet spot is a lot smaller but in that area the sharpness is comparable, although I'd say the screen door effect is a bit worse.

I'll take your word for it and remove them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

I guess I'll start working on an OP for a new general VR thread. We've got SteamVR, and Oculus as platforms and various headsets. Not to mention GearVR and now the new version of android is going to have a bunch of VR features. "3D Gaming" seems to be totally dead, so the current OP is super out of date.

Part of me says wait for PSVR, but another part of me thinks that if any headset deserves it's own dedicated thread it's that one.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The OP has been dead for at least two years and the OP still talks about 3D monitors and junk, a new thread is long overdue

Either way a lot of content is gonna be cross-headset and there's so little out anyway that there isn't really much to talk about, so multiple threads seems pretty redundant

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

so multiple threads seems pretty redundant

Since the mods don't wanna ban knifegrab it seems like a necessity to have a VR discussion thread he is banned from and one that people can shitpost in.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
A general VR thread for all things VR and a Vive thread for people who actually have their Vive to discuss Vive games and Vive related issues makes sense to me. Knifegrab did a good job on the OP so I don't see a reason to just go poo poo it up.

Edit: Maybe we don't need a new thread yet. There is so little VR going on right now we're just talking about threads and posting.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh, just something I thought was interesting - the resale price for Oculus headsets on ebay has fallen by a couple hundred dollars in the last few days. I was originally planning on not cancelling my purchase and just selling it when I got it, but it seems to have experienced a sudden huge drop in demand. At this point I think I might just cancel, it looks like it won't be worth anything for resale by the time I actually get my hands on my day one pre-order.

On the other hand, if you want a CV1 the ebay prices are actually starting to look reasonable, and you can have it now instead of waiting however long!

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
We need a hip and hoppin place to talk about the hit vr games like...

uh...

umm...

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Well fire emblem fates is pretty good and that's vr, right?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Minecraft is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Trucking simulators ETS2 and ATS are good uses of VR. Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are both working in VR now. Elite: Dangerous is a good time in VR. Most of the full games that work in VR are cockpit games, but you can spend hours and hours playing them.

• Locked thread