Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
yeah unplugging the joystick, throttle, and steam controller fixed it - but that sucks. I don't want to crawl under my desk that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...

Mordaedil posted:

It's not a platform, doofus.

Maybe it will be, maybe it won't be. Oculus clearly thinks it is, and is acting as such. I get that nerds have this dream of a completely open VR ecosystem where everything works with everyone (the monitor analogy), but Oculus doesn't share that vision. They think for VR to succeed they way they envision they need control over the entire experience. They want to be able to go to the NBA and say "We've got 5 Million Rifts and another 20 million GearVR headsets using our content. Let us do VR livestreams of the NBA Finals. We'll handle everything."

KakerMix posted:

If they say it enough times though and wish really hard maybe it will turn into one! Worked for Apple right?

It literally did work for Apple. The thing you're making fun of Apple for made them the most valuable company on the planet. Literally 'literally'. Not figuratively 'literally'. Phones benefited from a platform approach in a way PCs didn't, and Oculus is betting the same is true for VR.

Is Oculus right in taking a platform approach? I don't know. I'd guess yes, long term. My parents could set up a Rift and use a rift. I don't know that's true of a Vive right now. But arguing about the PR "disaster" or how Oculus is making awful terrible, mistakes they'll never come from is silly. It's like arguing about the first pitch of a 7 game series

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Taiso posted:

Hahaha, bullshit. Quite a bit of kool-aid drinking motherfuckers going to bat for Oculus.

True, well most I should say.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

mad.radhu posted:

yeah unplugging the joystick, throttle, and steam controller fixed it - but that sucks. I don't want to crawl under my desk that often.

You could probably get a cheap USB hub for easier access to those things.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Everyone with a Rift or a Vive via ReVive should just go play War Thunder right now. I puked out my breakfast while playing Sim Battles with some goons and feel very pleased with myself. Don't stall a plane.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Recommended steps to not being an idiot when you've been waiting years for VR to hit and the headset arrives at your door:

1) Make sure your GPU has the right output, or that you didn't dump all your adapters on your last move cause you thought cables with different ends would be all you need.

2) For a Rift dunno if it matters for Vive, before going to the store and back for the adapter from step 1 then spend a while troubleshooting, run the compatibility tool to find out if your motherboard USB sucks and you need a pci card for it to work period.

Goddamnit

PS gently caress Facebook for (predictably..) doing hardware lockdown

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 21, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
You Vive owners that want to continue to use and/or buy Oculus Home games should get the new Revive and then block Oculus Home in your firewall so it can't update and break the workaround in a future update.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 21, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can you play Metroid Prime on the Vive? I want to try it out and probably vomit.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can you play Metroid Prime on the Vive? I want to try it out and probably vomit.

Dolphin VR should work fine through Revive, so yes.

https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/34903/dolphin-emulator-cv1-compatibility

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

You could probably get a cheap USB hub for easier access to those things.

That's what I ended up doing. So many games with hardcoded Xbox controller support.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'll need Oculus Home and Revive just to get it working? I'm good.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Chronos is pretty fun so far but unfortunately the devs also have the specific type of brain damage lots of devs seem to have where they think randomly dumping in a stupid puzzle is fun game design.

Nobody likes the sliding tile puzzle. Nobody in the whole loving world. Stop putting them in games you morons!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Randomosity posted:

Maybe it will be, maybe it won't be. Oculus clearly thinks it is, and is acting as such. I get that nerds have this dream of a completely open VR ecosystem where everything works with everyone (the monitor analogy), but Oculus doesn't share that vision. They think for VR to succeed they way they envision they need control over the entire experience. They want to be able to go to the NBA and say "We've got 5 Million Rifts and another 20 million GearVR headsets using our content. Let us do VR livestreams of the NBA Finals. We'll handle everything."
Which is an situation that only is going to lose them customers. I just don't see what they have to gain by limited their customer base and acting like spoiled rich kids as if their storefront is an exclusive club. It'd be like if Steam suddenly shut down all Windows support and offered no refunds as they would no longer support anything that wasn't on SteamOS. Can you not see how retarded that would be?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Now, to be fair, in order for that analogy to be accurate they'd need to couple the no-windows restriction with some sort of server problem that makes SteamOS impossible to actually buy, and STILL deciding to ban Windows users.

(Because it's not yet possible to buy a Rift, only sign up for the possibility to buy a rift at some unknown point months in the future, maybe, and who knows how long that will change)

Also, I ordered my Vive, and it was listed as "in stock" when I did so hopefully it will show up soon!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Does anyone actually want exclusive content in this new market? I'm trying to understand why any consumer would defend it. Sure, Oculus spent money on them and they have the "right" to make them exclusive, but it still makes them assholes. What would the market be like if every manufacturer did it? Does anyone think it would be super rad to buy several VR headsets every generation or miss out on a bunch games in an already anemic market?

The defense of the exclusives in the past relied on statements by Luckey that explained the totally reasonable position that they can't be expected to go out of their way to support every other headset, but then they went and actively worked against third party attempts to do it for them. What is the pro-consumer justification/defense for the exclusives now? So far, the closest I've seen to a defense is snarky comments about how mad people are or something.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think having the game exclusive to the store is defensible, since they don't want to give Valve a 30% cut for a game they bankrolled and will almost definitely not make back their money on anyway, but I don't think restricting the store to just their headset makes sense, from a few angles. I sort of buy not wanting to be responsible for support on other headsets, since they can't get stuff like ATW working on the Vive, for example, but I think if you have a warning like they do for the DK2 where it says not officially supported etc that'd be enough, but obviously their lawyers disagree.

Edit: the no ATW on Vive is based on my understanding of how the different SDK's work. I'm not 100% on it but I know all they could do is make a wrapper like OpenVR does, but I think it means you don't have access to the level where ATW or whatever equivalent on SteamVR is.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Lemming posted:

I think having the game exclusive to the store is defensible, since they don't want to give Valve a 30% cut for a game they bankrolled and will almost definitely not make back their money on anyway, but I don't think restricting the store to just their headset makes sense, from a few angles. I sort of buy not wanting to be responsible for support on other headsets, since they can't get stuff like ATW working on the Vive, for example, but I think if you have a warning like they do for the DK2 where it says not officially supported etc that'd be enough, but obviously their lawyers disagree.

I don't think anyone really has a problem with store exclusivity.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lucid Dream posted:

You'd be surprised.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I just tried the Vive demo at a local store, for 20 minutes. Everything about it was immersive and natural feeling. The only problem was I could not get the focus on my right-eye to be clear (I'm -5.75 in that eye), and the focus controls were stiff. Do they have other lens for the Vive based on a prescription range? There wasn't enough time with the demo people to get into details about that.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
there's no focus controls, the knobs just move the screen towards you (which doesnt change focus). And no, no other lenses.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shadaez posted:

there's no focus controls, the knobs just move the screen towards you (which doesnt change focus). And no, no other lenses.

It can accommodate glasses really well though.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Shadaez posted:

Actually there is sorta both. There is a little knob on the side to adjust the IPD (the distance between your pupils), which basically just means it moves the screens further apart or closer together. If the IPD isn't set correctly then it can result in some blurriness, but I couldn't tell a huge difference myself. I've also heard that moving the headset up/down/left/right can significantly affect the blurriness due to the lens type or somesuch, sometimes its just a matter of shifting it around a bit until its less blurry.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 22, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

SwissCM posted:

It can accommodate glasses really well though.

Yeah. Until custom lenses for VR headsets are more of a thing, for now your best bet is just wearing your glasses. Luckily the Vive fits glasses pretty well.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lemming posted:

Edit: the no ATW on Vive is based on my understanding of how the different SDK's work. I'm not 100% on it but I know all they could do is make a wrapper like OpenVR does, but I think it means you don't have access to the level where ATW or whatever equivalent on SteamVR is.

They could still do it in a wrapper, but it would have higher latency than a native implementation would.

I'm actually surprised at how little of a factor "timewarp" has been in all this. On paper it should be a huge advantage for Oculus, but in practice very few people seem to be noticing its absence on Vive. It makes a big difference to skinflints like me with ancient GPUs, and a bit of a difference on games like Elite which push rendering really aggressively, but in all other cases it seems like the latency wins weren't really needed after all.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It is a bit interesting, I just spent about 2 hrs in the Oculus playing BlazeRush (Soooo much better on the CV1 then it was on the DK2, and it also plays better with a gamepad then a KB) and a little Subnautica which looks beautiful, but does need a bit more grunt for that 90FPS solid then what I can provide. Though it does work great, the main issue it has is the need to turn with the control stick unless you could play it in say, the Omni or at least a swivel chair. But looking at where you want to swim seems to work rather well.

The one thing I do notice, is even though the rift is just all around sharper in the games that support it, man my eyes just seem to get tired in it more than they do in the Vive, even the DK2 I didn't seem to get tired as fast. Hmm.

I think I need to adjust the headset a bit more as it may be just too tight on my face causing me to feel a bit more tired. I continue to kick myself for selling my AboutFace pads with the DK2. Those made the DK2 immensely more comfortable and I could have probably used them on both the CV1 and Vive. drat guy that makes them though seems to have fallen off the face of the earth unfortunately.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I had a similar issue with eye fatigue on the Rift. I found what helped me was actually lowering it slightly on my face. Now that it's adjusted correctly I can sit in it all day.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lucid Dream posted:

Store exclusivity is an annoyance at worst, as long as you trust the store you're buying from.

The problems come when a store undermines that trust, whether through poor security, ill-conceived rootkits, drive-wiping bugs, or whatever. Oculus had been doing decently on store trust issues up until now, but adding usage restrictions to titles users have already paid for is definitely going to put doubts into people's minds.

EdEddnEddy posted:

The one thing I do notice, is even though the rift is just all around sharper in the games that support it, man my eyes just seem to get tired in it more than they do in the Vive, even the DK2 I didn't seem to get tired as fast. Hmm.

Might be related to the lower brightness on the Rift compared to the Vive? I don't know if anyone's done comparisons between the DK2 and the CV1, but the DK2 had a mains connection so it wouldn't surprise me if it were brighter too. A darker screen would mean you need to dilate your eyes more, which I think is more tiring.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Palmer did some sort of QA at something called Oculus LaunchPad Boot Camp earlier this evening:
https://www.periscope.tv/michelleosorio/1rmxPEEkvLYKN

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

teh_Broseph posted:

Recommended steps to not being an idiot when you've been waiting years for VR to hit and the headset arrives at your door:

1) Make sure your GPU has the right output, or that you didn't dump all your adapters on your last move cause you thought cables with different ends would be all you need.

2) For a Rift dunno if it matters for Vive, before going to the store and back for the adapter from step 1 then spend a while troubleshooting, run the compatibility tool to find out if your motherboard USB sucks and you need a pci card for it to work period.

Goddamnit

PS gently caress Facebook for (predictably..) doing hardware lockdown

Part 2: Made it out to Microcenter a bit before closing, successfully resisted the urge to buy a ~$540 980ti, and grabbed a pcie usb3 card. Turns out also incompatible with the Rift. Goddoubledamnit. Ordered the officially recommended USB card from Amazon, gets here Monday, so VR is finally real and shows up on my doorstep but will spend the whole weekend just sittin there unused, dang. Eff Gigabyte mobos, too.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

teh_Broseph posted:

Part 2: Made it out to Microcenter a bit before closing, successfully resisted the urge to buy a ~$540 980ti, and grabbed a pcie usb3 card. Turns out also incompatible with the Rift. Goddoubledamnit. Ordered the officially recommended USB card from Amazon, gets here Monday, so VR is finally real and shows up on my doorstep but will spend the whole weekend just sittin there unused, dang. Eff Gigabyte mobos, too.

If it happens to be the camera/sensor that is giving you the error warning, it will work with USB2, just with degraded tracking performance.

edit: Also the 1080/1070's are coming out really really soon, like next week soon I think, so good call on resisting the temptation for that 980ti!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
'Preciate the decision reinforcement and heads up! It's the screen though - get the flash of it turning on, sound comes through, but no display :smith:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Just beat Chronos, I liked it a lot :toot:

Except the ending, why don't games have real endings anymore, they're all lovely cliffhangers god dammit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Randomosity posted:

It literally did work for Apple. The thing you're making fun of Apple for made them the most valuable company on the planet. Literally 'literally'. Not figuratively 'literally'. Phones benefited from a platform approach in a way PCs didn't, and Oculus is betting the same is true for VR.

Is Oculus right in taking a platform approach? I don't know. I'd guess yes, long term. My parents could set up a Rift and use a rift. I don't know that's true of a Vive right now. But arguing about the PR "disaster" or how Oculus is making awful terrible, mistakes they'll never come from is silly. It's like arguing about the first pitch of a 7 game series

I was making fun of Oculus, not Apple. Apple slammed the iPhone down for more reasons than their approach to how they managed their platform, not just solely because of that. They also never tried to be Apple before they actually earned it. Then you can get into discussions on how the iPod and iPhone were refinements of something that already existed and how their place in a user's lives is much different than Virtual Reality devices.

Your parents probably could easily set up a Rift yeah, but chances are they don't have a computer with a 970 GPU in it, or maybe not even a desktop at all. What they do have (probably) is a TV and wouldn't you know it, a Playstation 4 console is real easy to set up and (if Sony doesn't gently caress it up) Playstation VR is going to be the easiest high-end headset to set up and use, probably.

As for Oculus' approach I do think it's bad for the reasons people have said. It feels like Oculus is fighting itself, like executives are saying one thing, engineers are saying another and there is no cohesive message. Combined with Oculus going from the darling upstart to owned-by-Facebook and the tinfoil brigade being sort of justified now by Oculus itself and it's real easy to see why people are so upset and up in arms about their electronic toys. If Oculus was alone and in a vacuum then yeah sure you can extrapolate out success. But they have Google, Valve, Sony, HTC, and VR being very new and a hard sell unless you see it for yourself (and the Vive is a much harder-hitting 'holy poo poo wow' demo in that regard) and Oculus maybe fighting itself does not an Apple-of-VR make. You have to have a base to work from before you try to exploit it.
And speculating is just something fun to do and baseball is boring as poo poo.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Poetic Justice posted:

Palmer did some sort of QA at something called Oculus LaunchPad Boot Camp earlier this evening:
https://www.periscope.tv/michelleosorio/1rmxPEEkvLYKN

I'm about 20 minutes in to it and this really seems like a different Palmer than the one who hasn't been on Reddit since the Pepperidge Farm incident. Aside from his style of dress of course.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

EdEddnEddy posted:

I think I need to adjust the headset a bit more as it may be just too tight on my face causing me to feel a bit more tired. I continue to kick myself for selling my AboutFace pads with the DK2. Those made the DK2 immensely more comfortable and I could have probably used them on both the CV1 and Vive. drat guy that makes them though seems to have fallen off the face of the earth unfortunately.

What solved eye fatigue for me was increasing the IPD by a few millimeters. Apparently the sharper setting for me wasn't the most natural for my eyes. :downs:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

wolrah posted:

I'm about 20 minutes in to it and this really seems like a different Palmer than the one who hasn't been on Reddit since the Pepperidge Farm incident. Aside from his style of dress of course.

He has always come off as a genuine, intelligent dude that is just excited about VR in all the talks and videos I've seen of him. I think some of that gets lost via text on the internet, and especially on reddit where I do think he trolls a bit because seriously, gently caress redditors.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Has anyone had issues with hiccups and framerate drops using their Vive, despite meeting the min spec? I have a 970 and hooked my Vive up to a USB 3.0 port, but still get constant dropped frames. Job Simulator is unplayable for more than like 10 seconds.

**It wasn't this bad the first time I used it.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
My GTX 780 struggled with the Steam VR introduction app. Dropped frames all over. Timewarp would've helped a lot here.

Weirdly, no issues with the SteamVR home though. Or any other apps I've tried yet.

Totally can't wait for the GTX 1080 :(

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Anyone know of any games or demos with hand controllers that will work with a rift CV1 and razer hydra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

monkey posted:

Anyone know of any games or demos with hand controllers that will work with a rift CV1 and razer hydra?

Surgeon simulator maybe? It used to, with DK2 and hydra.

• Locked thread