Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
admanb
Jun 18, 2014

spectralent posted:

Probably dumb questions that're answered elsewhere, but:

1. If you take zero or negative harm, do you still roll the harm move?

2. Does a gang still boost damage on single vehicles and buildings?

1. Yes.

2. ... yes? I'm not sure this is confirmed but it makes sense that it would work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

spectralent posted:

1. If you take zero or negative harm, do you still roll the harm move?

2. Does a gang still boost damage on single vehicles and buildings?
1. If it makes sense narratively (e.g. a concussion grenade going off next to you). If someone tries to stab you with a pocket knife and deals 0-harm, probably not. EDIT: Another example is the Harm move also includes non-injury related options, so you could narrate losing hold of something as the attacker intentionally going for a disarm, for example. If that seems like a reasonable outcome, then also yes.

2. Yes. The resilience of large objects like that should be in terms of being able take more harm; six guys with sledgehammers are going to knock down a building faster than one.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 10, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
One little adaptation that I've added to AW games that I run is that if you're seizing by force and already taking 0-harm or less after armor, you don't make the harm move at all if you chose to spend one of your choices to suffer little harm. This way, that option is always attractive/useful even when heavily armored or facing smaller weapons. It's also super-useful when suffering v-harm, because "you crash" is one of the potential consequences of v-harm.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

spectralent posted:

1. If you take zero or negative harm, do you still roll the harm moves?

For 0, you can. It's also possible for negative harm, but the book suggests only if the circumstances seem to fit, so probably not that often.

I have a small question here. I'm thinking about trying to run a PbP game here and was wondering how you set up the world when not everyone who makes a character will get in. I have to admit I don't have any particular idea for what kind of setting/world to go with. Normally that would be something we establish as a group but it doesn't work that way with this format. Should I just wait until something concrete comes to mind or is there another answer.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
The way our group (which Ilor GMs) usually does it is by having everyone suggest an adjective for the world. We did an entire campaign on a derelict, marooned space station that started with our words being cold, dark, vast and degenerate. Another campaign was gothic, dry, fiery and floating which was a sort of steampunk WW1-esque world with floating cities over an endless sea of lava. That was a fun one, especially when a Bolshevik-style revolution flared up on Aerolith Murmansk.

Even if characters don't make it into the campaign, their words could help shape the world.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 11, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Heliotrope posted:

I have a small question here. I'm thinking about trying to run a PbP game here and was wondering how you set up the world when not everyone who makes a character will get in.

You should be setting up the world based on the players' characters anyway, so nothing changes from an actual, in-person game. You either pitch a really vague setting outline to get people's imagination going ("the game is set on an isolated island where old Soviet war-bots have started falling back to Earth, some of them in one piece") or you don't pitch a premise at all and build out a setting based on which applicants you accept.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Heliotrope posted:

For 0, you can. It's also possible for negative harm, but the book suggests only if the circumstances seem to fit, so probably not that often.

I have a small question here. I'm thinking about trying to run a PbP game here and was wondering how you set up the world when not everyone who makes a character will get in. I have to admit I don't have any particular idea for what kind of setting/world to go with. Normally that would be something we establish as a group but it doesn't work that way with this format. Should I just wait until something concrete comes to mind or is there another answer.

The way I've always done it is to make the title of the game the basic setting conceit that you find interesting, e.g. The Stormlands, The Island, The Dead City, The Jungle, The Space Hulk, The Frozen North. As part of your recruitment thread, ask people a couple of specific questions that give them space to expound upon various areas, e.g. (Where did you used to sleep? Why aren't you there any more?) Then, you can take the bits and pieces of the setting that really seem to click and expand upon them as the game grows. Naturally, some new areas will emerge, and some things you thought were going to be useful won't be. Don't try to force things, and everything will flow organically. The players will tell you what the important parts of the setting are, both in what they do and what they ignore.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I think Captain Foo and BlackIronHeart have the basics of it pretty well.

I do think you can go with a more specific premise - for example, "the apocalypse came on the Western Front in 1917; now it's 19XX." Or "Colonial Mars, 21XX, the Earth has been silent for 50 years, no ships have come, and now the terraformers are failing." The trick is to focus more on aesthetic with a specific concept than setting. It's a level set - those deliberately sound like the first line of a novel or the intro card on a movie. It narrows the scope a little and means you tend to have names for things already, but your players will still decide what's actually important. It's a little more of "pick from this menu" than a wide open field is all. The key is to choose a menu with a lot of options.

If you have an even more specific idea (I ran an AW game in the Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind setting), you're much better off with a largely pre-selected group. I have seen it work but it is a pretty significant change, and you need a group that has greater familiarity with the concept so they can riff on it without much MC input. It also only works with settings that are already established - a detailed homebrew setting will flat out fail, because AW just cannot support a game where the MC has to info-dump all the setting details.

Lemon-Lime posted:

...or you don't pitch a premise at all and build out a setting based on which applicants you accept.
I find this doesn't work particularly well for recruits. Established groups can riff off each other pretty well, but a recruit needs at least some guidance. It's not just trying to fit together a grab-bag of setting elements; you're likely to end up with too much disparity in theme and tone. AW can handle a pretty wide variety of post-apocalyptic fiction - from TurboKid to Mad Max to The Road and a lot of stops in between and adjacent - but not all in the same game.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Take it from someone who's played and run AW in-person, through PbP, and chat rooms: Don't run a AW (or any tradgame) game through PbP.

The best part about our hobby is the immediacy and personability. AW especially thrives on fast paced back and forth. You'd think it'd be easier that crunchy D&D style games, but it's actually worse.

Run a discord-chat game. You'll be way, way happier and have a lot less work.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tokenbrownguy posted:

Take it from someone who's played and run AW in-person, through PbP, and chat rooms: Don't run a AW (or any tradgame) game through PbP.

The best part about our hobby is the immediacy and personability. AW especially thrives on fast paced back and forth. You'd think it'd be easier that crunchy D&D style games, but it's actually worse.

Run a discord-chat game. You'll be way, way happier and have a lot less work.

Take it from someone who's run AW in-person, PbP, and discord: however it works for your group, do it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Do people ever recruit for like, roll20 games on here? I follow the "advertise your new game" thread but it seems like people only do pbp, and that sucks, 'cause I just can't do pbp.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

someone awful. posted:

Do people ever recruit for like, roll20 games on here? I follow the "advertise your new game" thread but it seems like people only do pbp, and that sucks, 'cause I just can't do pbp.

they do, there's a few roll20 and discord voice recruits in the master recruit thread. This forum has traditionally been more PbP focused, but I'm sure there's people looking for something different (see the above poster)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Have every app answer questions about and contribute to the world. Roll with it.

My AW game on here was high-octane awesome, ignore the haters.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
PBTA works great for play by post, better than a lot of games with more numbers and mechanical crunch floating around. But it's definitely different than the live experience and my experience with PbP in general is that if you manage a full, conclusive narrative before so many people flake that the game is unsustainable you should go out and buy a lottery ticket because you are loving charmed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
pbp works different than irl, but its still good as gently caress.

9/10 play pbp everyday.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

someone awful. posted:

Yeah! Most are hybrid utilities games. At this moment I'm playing in three discord-chat/roll 20 games (including an AW game I'm MC'ing) that recruited out of SA. They're the best!

Like Foo says, whatever's best for your group is best. But if you're trying to to recruit randos, give roll20/discord games a chance! At least then when your players ghost you'll know cause they bailed on a session, not three weeks of agonizing silence. :f5:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

malkav11 posted:

PBTA works great for play by post, better than a lot of games with more numbers and mechanical crunch floating around. But it's definitely different than the live experience and my experience with PbP in general is that if you manage a full, conclusive narrative before so many people flake that the game is unsustainable you should go out and buy a lottery ticket because you are loving charmed.

:shobon:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

shoutout to the Island players

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I mostly play in my own circle but if I was to play or run a game here, it'd be Discord or Roll20. (Same as my circle uses.) But most goon games use voice and I'm deaf.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
It's been a long time since I've done some PbtA stuff, favoring DW, but I did an online game of Lasers and Feelings tonight with two people with limited PbtA experience and it was awesome. 5 min of prep from me and a one page RPG was just amazing. Gonna make this a weekly thing and run whoever shows up.

fakeedit: not sure Lasers and Feelings counts as PbtA proper, but it's definitely in the same realm.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
What's everyone's thoughts on The Contaminated? I love it and really want to play one. I'd really love to use that special move to spread the love around.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's pretty awesome. I think the "pick one" list in the moves may be my favorite one in any PbtA ever.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I love the contaminated, and can't wait to make a werewolf with it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
where's a copy of the playbook? I can't find it online.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

rumble in the bunghole posted:

where's a copy of the playbook? I can't find it online.

It's from Vincent's Patreon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Did he post it on the site he's posted Patreon rewards on previously? I can't remember what the URL is and haven't checked back in a little while, but Patreon is down right now so I can't look at the actual thing. :rip:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

malkav11 posted:

Oh, it's eminently possible. You just need to run games, observe who flakes and who sticks around, keep the ones who stick around as the foundation when you start a new game, and basically run that crucible for, oh, seven odd years.

At the end of it you'll have developed six, maybe seven awesome people who you can run the most bananas fantastic games on the internet with that last on average a full year, sometimes longer.

Just gotta put the work in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did he post it on the site he's posted Patreon rewards on previously? I can't remember what the URL is and haven't checked back in a little while, but Patreon is down right now so I can't look at the actual thing. :rip:

http://lumpley.com/index.php/window/installment/73

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, I got it once Patreon came back up. Thanks, though!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Being interested enough to actually sub I'm going to assume Vincent's current "When you subscribe I'll personally send you a login to my external site, instead of just having my patreon posts on patreon like a sane person" system is a step up from his previous carrier-pigeon based fulfilment method?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
While browsing around the Barf Forth Apocalyptica forums, I started thinking that having a reference to some of Vincent Baker's advice/rulings/etc. might be handy. I went through his posts on Reddit, Barf Forth Apocalptica, and Story Games and put links to his posts there. A lot of them are from when the 1st edition of the game was out, but that shouldn't really matter:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y7E4yWtY92EAbBl2Klf4S3dMDjIu1rufst34hcLLy7I/edit?usp=sharing

Some of the posts are clarifications on rules, some of it advice on running the game, and some of it his thoughts/intentions on the design behind the game because that kind of stuff interests me. I figured it might come in handy for other people too, so I made the document viewable to everyone and decided to post it here.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Heliotrope posted:

While browsing around the Barf Forth Apocalyptica forums, I started thinking that having a reference to some of Vincent Baker's advice/rulings/etc. might be handy. I went through his posts on Reddit, Barf Forth Apocalptica, and Story Games and put links to his posts there. A lot of them are from when the 1st edition of the game was out, but that shouldn't really matter:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y7E4yWtY92EAbBl2Klf4S3dMDjIu1rufst34hcLLy7I/edit?usp=sharing

Some of the posts are clarifications on rules, some of it advice on running the game, and some of it his thoughts/intentions on the design behind the game because that kind of stuff interests me. I figured it might come in handy for other people too, so I made the document viewable to everyone and decided to post it here.

Cool, thanks!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a little behind here, but what do y'all think of how the new edition nails down how moves work, particularly combat moves? I see it as wholly positive. The whole aggro/seize ambiguity was always the trickiest part of the game for me.

Also, Cross-posted with the PbtA thread because I got confused: I presume the Operator was dropped from the corebook because its core conceit is something every playbook should be doing?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Halloween Jack posted:

Also, Cross-posted with the PbtA thread because I got confused: I presume the Operator was dropped from the corebook because its core conceit is something every playbook should be doing?

Yeah, AFAIK, it's because gigs got integrated into most playbooks instead of having a dedicated playbook for them.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a little behind here, but what do y'all think of how the new edition nails down how moves work, particularly combat moves? I see it as wholly positive. The whole aggro/seize ambiguity was always the trickiest part of the game for me.

I'm... frankly not a huge fan. One of the things I like about PbtA is that moves aren't safe; when you try something and roll low, bad stuff happens to you (as opposed to "nothing happens" or, even worse, "nothing happens; roll again after 5 imaginary minutes pass" as is often the case in e.g. d20). In particular, this makes it at least a little risky to just spam attacks at people, since eventually you'll roll a 6 and probably get hosed.

With the new combat rules, however, you can lay down fire or overwatch or whatever, and not only does nothing bad happen on a miss, you get a loving benefit:

quote:

Paul: Only the basic moves leave misses unspecified. This was true in the 1st Ed and remains true in the 2nd. "The MC makes a hard move on a miss" only applies to the basic moves, and always has.

In the battle moves, yes, when you're defending something you hold, on a miss you can choose to hold it decisively. When you lay down fire, on a miss you can choose to pin Dremmer in his shed. Yes, this is better for you than "on a miss, choose 0," and if keeping Dremmer in his shed was the entirety of your objective, then yeah, you've done it even on a miss. I think you've understood correctly how it's supposed to play out.

The general pattern is: moves that are more dramatic on a hit, more heroic, are more risky. There are several moves that are freebies, including laying down fire (but not the seize & hold moves, because of the exchange of harm, just as you've realized). This is because laying down fire puts you as a player into a supporting position, not a heroic one, and I want to reward that, not punish it, even on a miss.

I can sort of get where he's coming from, but at the same time... this makes it true, both RAW and RAI, that I can stop any NPC from doing literally anything, indefinitely, with zero risk to myself ever, with -3 hard and a big pile of small rocks. No hard moves. No cost. My roll is meaningless, except that sometimes I'll randomly also get other benefits, again for no cost or risk. And apparently this is okay because... I deserve to get rewarded for not being heroic?

I guess the intent is that I'm now "in battle" in some abstract sense, which means the MC can make moves at me. Except... she can already do that. She can always do that. And this puts the burden on her to make up a reason to punish me for doing something that is explicitly allowed by the rules, and to decide exactly how far I'm allowed to push it before she needs to put her foot down. And if I (a reasonable but pedantic player) go "hey but here's the creator of the game explicitly stating that I don't get hard moved for this ever," then the burden is on her to go "yeah, I know, but I'm hard moving you anyway." That's the sort of poo poo I picked PbtA to get away from.

And the thing is: there's already a mechanism that fixes this problem automatically. Roll 6- -> the MC makes a hard move (but can choose not to if she doesn't want to). Done. Everything works; I have no incentive to do this dumb thing, and if I try I get punished by the rules, not the MC. Why remove it?

e: There's another obvious fix. If you really want players to be able to take supporting positions in a fight, with no specific risk to themselves beyond the general risk of existing in an AW game, and to reward them for not being awesome and risking their lives (why do you want this), then here is how you word the move:

quote:

When you spend a battle laying down fire, hold 1. Spend your hold during the battle to choose 1:
• You provide covering fire, allowing another character to move or act freely.
• You provide supporting fire, giving another PC +1choice to their own battle move.
• You provide suppressing fire, denying another character to move or act freely. (If a PC,
they may still act under fire.)
• You take an opportune shot, inflicting harm (but -1harm) on an enemy within your
reach.
A roll should mean risk. Rolling a 6- should be bad. This move has no risk, so there is no roll. You get a benefit for nothing, but that's okay, because you get 1 hold "during the battle" -- you can't spend your hold and immediately go "then I lay down fire again!" Non-heroic actions rewarded, no dumb rules interactions. (On the other hand, if a player wants to lay down fire, spend her hold, and then go whole hog and charge in, that's great.)

megane fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 7, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think the cleanup of sbf is generally positive, (the addition of Sucker addresses a lot too) but i don't see the explosion of tactical combat moves in general to be a great addition. The road war and cat+mouse and single combat stuff is kinda cool.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

megane posted:

I'm... frankly not a huge fan. One of the things I like about PbtA is that moves aren't safe; when you try something and roll low, bad stuff happens to you (as opposed to "nothing happens" or, even worse, "nothing happens; roll again after 5 imaginary minutes pass" as is often the case in e.g. d20). In particular, this makes it at least a little risky to just spam attacks at people, since eventually you'll roll a 6 and probably get hosed.

With the new combat rules, however, you can lay down fire or overwatch or whatever, and not only does nothing bad happen on a miss, you get a loving benefit:

I can sort of get where he's coming from, but at the same time... this makes it true, both RAW and RAI, that I can stop any NPC from doing literally anything, indefinitely, with zero risk to myself ever, with -3 hard and a big pile of small rocks. No hard moves. No cost. My roll is meaningless, except that sometimes I'll randomly also get other benefits, again for no cost or risk. And apparently this is okay because... I deserve to get rewarded for not being heroic?

I guess the intent is that I'm now "in battle" in some abstract sense, which means the MC can make moves at me. Except... she can already do that. She can always do that. And this puts the burden on her to make up a reason to punish me for doing something that is explicitly allowed by the rules, and to decide exactly how far I'm allowed to push it before she needs to put her foot down. And if I (a reasonable but pedantic player) go "hey but here's the creator of the game explicitly stating that I don't get hard moved for this ever," then the burden is on her to go "yeah, I know, but I'm hard moving you anyway." That's the sort of poo poo I picked PbtA to get away from.

And the thing is: there's already a mechanism that fixes this problem automatically. Roll 6- -> the MC makes a hard move (but can choose not to if she doesn't want to). Done. Everything works; I have no incentive to do this dumb thing, and if I try I get punished by the rules, not the MC. Why remove it?

e: There's another obvious fix. If you really want players to be able to take supporting positions in a fight, with no specific risk to themselves beyond the general risk of existing in an AW game, and to reward them for not being awesome and risking their lives (why do you want this), then here is how you word the move:

A roll should mean risk. Rolling a 6- should be bad. This move has no risk, so there is no roll. You get a benefit for nothing, but that's okay, because you get 1 hold "during the battle" -- you can't spend your hold and immediately go "then I lay down fire again!" Non-heroic actions rewarded, no dumb rules interactions. (On the other hand, if a player wants to lay down fire, spend her hold, and then go whole hog and charge in, that's great.)

You roll because there's a range of results. In the case of SBF and tactical/support moves, you get less options on a miss. That low Hard character with the rocks has to have their targets be in range of thrown rocks, and is probably only going to get one option. In the example given in the book the Gunlugger manages to keep the Savvyhead safe and prevent Dremmer's raiders from coming closer. A low Hard character would most likely be forced to make a choice, unless they got lucky.

Also, the miss results mean that unlike basic moves you don't necessarily "prepare for the worst" and you still accomplished something. If I miss Go Aggro, almost anything can happen and there's probably very little chance the person is still threatened by me. If I miss a Seize By Force to escape, then I can choose to fight my way free and the MC has to acknowledge that by the rules.

However, keep in mind you also make your moves when the players look to you to say something or it's your turn to talk. You can still make moves to put their character in danger, you just can't say they didn't accomplish whatever option they picked. So if someone is laying down fire you can definitely say that people on other side of the fight start to fire back at them (put someone in a spot) or that a group they aren't focusing on starts to head near to where they parked their car with the shipment of apples they're supposed to deliver to III (tell them the the possible consequences and ask). You can do this whether they rolled a 6 or 10. The MC's moves are there to make things interesting, not to "punish" the character for when they miss. After all, like Vincent states in the rules - it's "make as hard and direct a move as you like" not "make the worst move you can think of." Sometimes the result of a miss isn't going to be that bad, such as in the case of tactical/support moves.

Captain Foo posted:

I think the cleanup of sbf is generally positive, (the addition of Sucker addresses a lot too) but i don't see the explosion of tactical combat moves in general to be a great addition. The road war and cat+mouse and single combat stuff is kinda cool.

They were put in to to let PCs help each other in ways other then just rolling Hx.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

You roll because there's a range of results.

I understand that, but I guess I don't find rolling to see whether I get exactly what I want, or everything I want plus more, all that interesting. Yes, there will be situations where I want more than 1 of the things on the list, sure. But there are also situations where I only really want 1 of them, and I would argue that especially for seize by force that's going to be the vast majority of cases. Why am I rolling if I win no matter what numbers come up? Like you said, if I roll a miss on SBF to escape... I still escape! It is literally impossible to fail to escape from someone if I want to do so. How is the game better now that that's true? Keep in mind that, in 1E, I could roll a miss and still escape if the MC thought it would be interesting. In contrast, in 2E, if the MC thinks it would be interesting for me to not escape? Tough cookies, I'm gone.

Here's another example. My character is struggling with Jay's character over a gun, and I happen to say "I roll to seize by force" half a second before Jay does. Result: my character ends up holding the gun. Period. I don't even have to, like, take additional harm or anything; the worst result for me is that I only win the fight and take the gun. Why? How is that better than "10+: I win and get the gun; 7-9: I can get it but it'll cost me; 6-: something bad happens (which will likely, but not necessarily, include the other guy getting the gun)"? The fact that the MC can make whatever moves she likes afterwards doesn't change a thing -- she could make those moves after the 1E version of SBF as well. In what way or situation is the new one better?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

megane posted:

I understand that, but I guess I don't find rolling to see whether I get exactly what I want, or everything I want plus more, all that interesting. Yes, there will be situations where I want more than 1 of the things on the list, sure. But there are also situations where I only really want 1 of them, and I would argue that especially for seize by force that's going to be the vast majority of cases. Why am I rolling if I win no matter what numbers come up? Like you said, if I roll a miss on SBF to escape... I still escape! It is literally impossible to fail to escape from someone if I want to do so. How is the game better now that that's true? Keep in mind that, in 1E, I could roll a miss and still escape if the MC thought it would be interesting. In contrast, in 2E, if the MC thinks it would be interesting for me to not escape? Tough cookies, I'm gone.

Here's another example. My character is struggling with Jay's character over a gun, and I happen to say "I roll to seize by force" half a second before Jay does. Result: my character ends up holding the gun. Period. I don't even have to, like, take additional harm or anything; the worst result for me is that I only win the fight and take the gun. Why? How is that better than "10+: I win and get the gun; 7-9: I can get it but it'll cost me; 6-: something bad happens (which will likely, but not necessarily, include the other guy getting the gun)"? The fact that the MC can make whatever moves she likes afterwards doesn't change a thing -- she could make those moves after the 1E version of SBF as well. In what way or situation is the new one better?

You know that you don't get to decide when you roll for a move, right? You don't get to say "I seize by force". You say what you're doing, the MC says "that sounds like Seizing by Force. Roll for it." If you're both describing what you're doing, the MC can pick a more appropriate move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

In that instance, both you and Jay would roll and pick from the SBF options and resolve it as one exchange:

Pg. 169 posted:

When two players’ characters seize the same thing by force, as enemies—maybe both are going for the same can of peaches, maybe one is assaulting the position the other holds—both roll, both make their choices, and their choices apply to a single exchange of harm. Have both players make their choices and commit to them without knowing what the other’s choosing. You can have them write them down on scrap paper if you want but I just use the honor system.

Contradictory choices cancel out. When one chooses to inflict terrible harm and the other chooses to suffer little harm, the +1 and the -1 cancel out, right? If both choose to take definite control, or one chooses to force her way into her enemy’s position but the other chooses to keep definite control of it, same thing, they cancel out.

• Locked thread