Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoeni
Dec 31, 2006
All I ever wanted.

nach0king posted:

Married my (American) wife in my home country (UK)
Wife flies back to USA
I follow to the USA some weeks later on a Visa Waiver visit
Close to the end of my three-month stay I apply for Adjustment of Status and remain in the country
I receive my Green Card several months later via the normal spousal method

Interesting.

We're in a somewhat comparable situation. Wife (american) married me 10yrs ago here in Germany. Have a kid here now. In case we ever want to go to the US for longer, I'd need a GreenCard. Also getting dual citizenship for our kiddo would be nice.

Problem: Due to a lack of employment/school records, my wife can't prove that she lived 10+ years in the US. So the consulate here will not give us the paperwork for our kids citizenship application. As far as I understood the GreenCard process, to apply for it, she would have to be my "sponsor" - also not possible thanks to a lack of records on her side, proving she was living in the US long enough.

D'oh. Not that it really matters much, since we're pretty happy in chilly Germany and that I personally only want to move to the US once I retire - but even then it would be much more convenient for me to have the card then not.

(BTW: She was in Germany illegally for 6 months. The authorities did not care, even when we went there, Only "recommended" for insurance reasons that we should marry. At some point. Took some paperwork, translations and a short trip back to the US and back to Germany for some rubberstamping and off it went. Immigration for her was pretty easy - after three years she got granted permanent legal alien status no longer based on our marriage. She could try to be a citizen, but her current status is OK with her (and me).)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread