Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!
On the off-chance that it helps anyone, my path to a green card, after marrying my girlfriend of almost a decade, was:

Married my (American) wife in my home country (UK)
Wife flies back to USA
I follow to the USA some weeks later on a Visa Waiver visit
Close to the end of my three-month stay I apply for Adjustment of Status and remain in the country
I receive my Green Card several months later via the normal spousal method

When I first applied for AoS I was unable to leave the country: once the first round of paperwork was over with, I was given some documents with which I could travel. There was a big delay at the airport when I first came back with one of these, but we were allowed into the USA without problems.

Technically to come on the VWP then apply for AoS in this circumstance is against the rules (or at least was in 2010), but on its own is not sufficient grounds for an application to be denied.

Obviously I'm not a lawyer and the above isn't to be taken as an endorsement of this method - the rules could very easily have changed since 2010. But if you or your SO is a non-US citizen from a VWP country it is at least worth investigating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread