Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
In what circumstance would a single daughter of a permanent resident/green card holder not be able to be sponsored for a I-130 form? Without getting into too much detail (partially because I don't know ALL the details), my girlfriend (who entered the united states legally at a young age with her parents) has consulted her long-time lawyer about any and all alternate options for acquiring papers/green card and has stated that the only way is through marriage.

In her current situation, she's pending the approval of her expired DACA and has been unable to work in the States for over a month because of the painfully long process. Without any real certainty that DACA will still be in effect over the course of the new presidency, she's desperately looking for alternate ways to survive here. We were hoping she could be sponsored by a family member or even myself, but according to the lawyer she has lost status (or some similar term I may be misremembering) and cannot file in that way. I'm scheduled to meet with the lawyer for a 30 min consultation myself early December and am trying to educate myself in any and all possibilities and questions to throw his way.

Is "Marriage is your only option for papers and eventual citizenship" an actual possibility? I know these are very case-by-case dependent, but it just seems like there should be another option for someone who has lived in the US for years after being brought here legally with parents who eventually acquired papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Can't thank you enough for that lengthy explanation, Ashcans. A lot of that makes sense (In the way that you explained it, not that those laws sound at all reasonable..) and will probably be very similar to what her lawyer can explain.

Kinda puts me in a rough spot... We've only been dating for just under 6 months and marriage is a pretty big commitment. Not to mention we'd need to live together first (for probably a good while) and would preferably have one or the other's name tied to bank accounts and bills to make a more convincing case. There's a lot involved. It's not like she's pressuring or guilt tripping me into doing any of this to help her and I simply can't imagine her making a life in Mexico after all this time. But that's more an E/N topic. I appreciate all the factual info.

• Locked thread