Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Not long enough for that, I'm guessing; we got married in March.

I got married in May 2011, I received my work permit in October, and was a permanent resident by December 2011.

My interview was about 10 minutes long and my lawyer wasn't even present because he was hospitalized that night before. We went in and sat down with a gentleman who couldn't have been any older than 30 as well as a trainee who sat silent in the corner. The guy was friendly and asked us a few questions about our address, phone numbers and parents. He then did the mandatory yes or no questionnaire for me. Generic stuff like "are you a drug dealer?" and what not. I had been in America for almost a year when I was approved.

It's an annoying process, ya, but I second the idea that because you went through with the K-1 you guys will be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
I am coming up on my 2 year expiration date on my green card. What can I expect from the renewal process? Is it as intense as the original filing? What sort of documents do I need to make sure I have? I'm worried because my husband and I don't really have any assets together outside of our bank account, joint tax return, and vet bills. We live at home with my mother-in-law still because we're broke-rear end students so we don't have a lease or mortgage to use. I just want to be as prepared as I can be for when I call our lawyer to start the whole process again.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
Sorry, yea, I mean the conditional stuff. We will definitely take it as seriously as the original filing. When we did the original we were just woefully unprepared for it and scrambled around for a few months getting things together, which I don't want a repeat of.

Another random question, my parents moved to Minnesota in April (from Canada). They have work visas through my dad's company who transferred him.When they were doing their work visa petitions they were given a slightly hard time about having a daughter who already lived in the States. The people they were dealing with were really concerned that I'd try to move in with my parents or something. Can I expect that to give me a hard time as well with the I-751? Husband and I don't live anywhere near my parents at all, like 3000 miles apart, and visited once.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

martyrdumb posted:

This isn't a question about me. But I have a friend who is a US citizen. He married a Canadian woman after they had been dating and traveling to spend time with each other over several years. It's been at least 6 months and she is still stuck there waiting on approval. How long is this process supposed to take? I would think since they're married that it would have been over and done with by now...

I'm a Canadian who married an American and it took me 7 months to go from married to greencarded. I was luckily already in America thanks to a visitor's visa change of status.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
How soon after applying to remove the conditions of my green card should I expect an appointment set up for an interview? If we need one that is.

Our lawyer was pretty convinced that we'd need an interview done because we didn't have a lot of stuff in our names, together. We applied in September because my card expired in December and at that time the lawyer said the wait period is about 6 months. I've gotten the biometrics done, we got the letter for that shortly after applying. We also received a letter informing us that the petition had transferred to another service center. Should I still be on the look out for an interview request? I'm trying to plan a spring break trip and I'm just worried that I'll pay for hotels and what not, and then get the interview letter with our time booked for while we are away.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

My wife finally got her green card and everything a couple months ago (she came here on a K-1 visa and then we married and applied for adjustment).

I want to make sure I get what's next: as I understand it, for 3 years her permanent residency is conditional on our remaining married, and then after that she has to reapply for unconditional permanent residency and maybe we'd have an interview (which we didn't this round). Right?

What about if she decided she wanted to apply for US citizenship?

Also, with a green card, do we have to worry about special restrictions/re-entry issues whatever if we travel abroad? I'm not thinking of like, six months at a time or anything -- more like a typical ~2-week vacation.

It's 2 years till she applies to remove the conditions on her greencard. 3 months before her card is due to expire you'll have to begin the process of renewal. You'll submit anything that is proof that your marriage is a legitimate one, so basically anything with both your names on it. My husband and I didn't have a lot of these things because we are both students living with my mom-in-law and it's currently providing us with some issues with my renewal because we just don't have enough documentation. Things like life insurance, bills, bank accounts, leases, insurance, tax returns, w-4 form, are all things the government is looking for when you renew. You'll also want to make sure you are taking loads of pictures of yourselves doing things and being with other people. You most likely won't need an interview if you provide enough evidence when you submit.

She can apply for residency after 3 years (it maybe a different months, but I think it's around 3 years) on the condition that she stays married to you during it. Without that condition it's after 5 years of being a resident of the US before she can apply to change citizenship.

On a greencard you can only leave the country for 2 months at a time. There are special cases and visas you can get to extend that time, but I don't know much about them. I am also not sure about travel restrictions to other countries, but I travelled to and from my home country with ease on my greencard.

• Locked thread