Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Maybe somebody could help me out with just knowing where to start with all this stuff?

My fiancee is currently living in South Africa, I live in the US in South Carolina. I'm planning on buying her a ticket to come live here, permanently. What do we need to take care of before she comes to live here? If we plan to get married immediately once she gets here, does that still mean we have to apply for visas or anything else? I've read something about how I could apply on her behalf to get her a greencard, if we are married within 30 days of her arriving in the US. It was a little vague though and I'm not sure exactly what that would require me to do.

I just really have no clue what the proper, but also most expedient, way to do all this is. Guess I'm just pretty clueless about the whole process. Any tips on where to get started? Any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

She is a natural born citizen of South Africa, both parents go back generations in the country. Hope that answers the question well enough. I am also a natural born American citizen, going back generations, if it matters.

Thank you so much for the help, everybody. Been researching like mad today, and it kind of goes from scary to hopeful to scary again with every thing I read. I'm not going to get all melodramatic, but it's hard to understate how important this is to us.

I think the visitor visa is our only real option here, and not because I'm trying to play with fire or anything like that. Honestly, that is what we need. She has never visited me in America before. I want her to see my country, my home, etc, and make sure she's happy here, if that makes sense? Anyway, I'm trying to research into pursuing a visitor's visa. From what I've read, it seems like I would need to be her Sponsor? She doesn't have the income for the trip on her own right now, I'd be supplying the plane ticket and everything. I wouldn't say I'm well off, but I have a steady full-time job that provides me enough income to get by. I am worried about that though, proving I have the income to support her. My credit isn't great or anything. I don't have the best job or the most in savings, but I'm not drowning in debt or anything. I read somewhere that $5000 in your bank account is recommended, and I don't have that right now.

sorry guys, I'm kind of rambling. I just want to figure this out and do it right. Thank you for that Visa Journey site, I'll definitely make use of that. Thanks for any help. I do plan to contact an immigration lawyer, but any other advice is greatly appreciated.

• Locked thread