Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It seems that temporary visits are considered to be an immigration issue, so here goes. I'm a citizen of a non-VWP country, but a permanent resident of a EU VWP country. This year I'd like to come to the US for my vacation, but here's the catch: I was already denied once like 4 years ago. No reasons were given, of course, but I suspect this didn't help:
  • I worked in a small company and was paid in cash
  • Probably didn't handle the "why did you come here?" question perfectly, should've stopped at "it was my parent's call"
  • I have friends and relatives in the US.
I now work at a megacrop and would handle such questions better, of course. But the last point remains, and in fact, some of my relatives are the ones who invited me. So, any suggestions on how to handle this? They can provide me with an invitation with accommodation and promises to feed and take care of me or whatever, but I'm not sure if this would help or hurt me: wouldn't this increase my chances of overstaying and living out of their closet, according to Uncle Sam's understanding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Whoa, thanks, that's a lot of useful information! I should've been clearer there, I was not issued a visa after the interview at the consulate, but at least was smart enough not to try to enter anyway :downs:. I'm single, but do have my parents here, as well as a lease, two cars, and some other property to show. I'll try to arrange the invitation, tickets, and all the other stuff as you suggest, and hopefully this would work out better this time. Thanks again for the detailed guide!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, as I just now got the invitation, I have a few more questions before I go for it:
  • Is there an official form for the letter of employment? I googled some, but they all seem to be made just by some guy and as a result are as good as mi
  • Do any other documents, like the apartment lease, car titles, bank statements, etc., need certified translations?
  • How big of a deal is having a return plane ticket at the time of application? As much as I hope to get the visa, I'd like to avoid plucking down a grand for the tickets and then going through the cancellation bullshit, if possible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to your great help, Ashcans, I just loving nailed the interview :smug:. Just one final question that I messed up and didn't ask right on the spot: what's the validity period on the B-2 visas, and would I be able to, say, go to Canada and back in within a week? I didn't realize that a) I might want to go to Canada from New England and b) I might not be allowed to do that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As I needed to start discussing the plans with my hosts ASAP, I emailed a question to an address I dug up on the consulate website. The reply was that it's 60 months and multiple entries, which is as good as I could've wished for, hopefully this is also what's actually going to be in my passport :). Thanks again for the information, it's going to be very helpful for confirming what I actually got.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So... hypothetically speaking, how bad would things in Ukraine have to get before a citizen could apply for some kind of asylum?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Ashcans, thanks again for your suggestions earlier :patriot:
I do have a couple of things however:
  • I had the passport with my visitor visa stolen but didn't realize it was among the stolen stuff until the cops, amazingly enough, recovered it. I was able to use it internally just fine afterwards, but is there any way to check if the visa (or passport, but that's probably not US-specific) has somehow been marked as stolen by the cops while it was being processed? Basically I just don't want to discover it's been invalidated while at the immigration/customs.
  • I'm considering visiting Uzbekistan at some point this year. There are some very distant relatives (like grandparents' cousins or something) that I last saw like 20 years ago, plus usual touristy stuff. Would going there have an effect on entering the US with an existing visa, or potentially renewing the visa later? The concern could be terrorists/taliban, I'd imagine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Ashcans, another question. I applied for a position located in NY within my company. The hiring manager, who's a former teammate, claims he'd be happy to have me, but he'll need to talk to his boss about relocation. Assuming this is true and they really want me, what are the possible scenarios? Anything I can do to make things smoother from the immigration point of view?

I worked in our Germany-based company for about 4 years, about 60/40% as contractor and now employee. EU permanent resident and have been preparing stuff to apply for citizenship but haven't done so yet. I also already have a 5-year B2 visa thanks to your help :).

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great, thanks guys. Well I mean not so great, but thanks anyway :D Does the current citizenship of the applicant (ie., me) make any difference to the process, whether L-1 or H1-b?

• Locked thread