Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm an American citizen with an English boyfriend. We are trying to get him an H2-B worker's visa. Apart from the usual online resources, we are wondering if it wouldn't be better/simpler to bring him in on an extended stay visa and simply change his visa status while he's here.

If we do go the work visa route, do we begin the process by finding someone who will sponsor him first? If so, what types of jobs would be his best bet? Thanks a bunch either way, the immigration process is very taxing and grueling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
Thanks for your incredible answer, I really do appreciate it and you!

As for your question, he's 24 and able bodied with contracting experience, and tiling. He does computer maintenance and repairs (nothing commercial, just PC and laptop repair). He has no degree or official certification, but he's looking for work in whatever ways he can find it! We were hoping to get him into IT or doing some tiling but I don't even know if the H2-B form would cover those areas.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax

Ashcans posted:

My guess is that the underlying motive here is that he would like to come out and see you, but you guys can't afford to bankroll a long-rear end unpaid trip?

Yup, that's it exactly. We're shooting for a long term visit (a year +) while I finish up school, but we desperately need him to be working as well. Hospitality may be an excellent option, I'll look into some J-1 sites right away! Thank you!!

• Locked thread