Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Do you have to be in the US to apply for Adjustment of Status? Sounds pretty scary risking that multi thousand dollar plane ticket cost for the potential for disappointment. Fiance and I are pretty close to Minimum wage so all of this US Immigration stuff is pretty scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Thinking about going the I-129F route but we stupidly only took one picture together during my visit earlier this year, we were thinking of marriage before then but not about the technicalities of immigration.

Wondering if it's worth the 8 month wait of trying an I-129F with potential for "insufficient evidence of a relationship" have got a bunch of affidavits, and letters and emails that we've sent each other but still worried that the single picture might drat us.

Some deal just came up where we can get together again in New Zealand for ~$700 US less than a ticket would normally cost (~$2000 US), but not until March, and it seems like the I-130 process is roughly the same speed as the I-129F. Wondering at this point if I should follow in nach0king's footsteps or if that would be ill advised. Also wondering if I'd be better off waiting til March, getting married here and then doing the I-130 or if my worries about insufficient evidence for the I-129F are unfounded.

Ideally I'd like to be together as soon as possible, but it seems like nach0king's route is the fastest and it's risks carry the highest penalty, I-129F is second fastest, and carries a mostly time based penalty for failure and I-130 is the slowest but seems the most assured route to success.

To summarise:
What are the odds of getting screwed by using nach0king's method?
What are the odds of only having a single picture meaning we have insufficient evidence for an I-129F?
Bonus: Is it possible to submit further evidence for an I-129F without further delaying it?

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
At the moment we have:

One Photo of us together at a Restaurant taken in the US.
Affadavits from people who saw us together or believe that we are in a relationship, including my mother, her grandfather + grandmother and her employer. Her grandmother was present when I proposed so that should be in the affadavits too.
Emails
Skype call logs
Gift receipts
Boarding passes from my trip to USA to see her
Receipt for purchase of Plane ticket for her to visit me in March 2013.
Log of phone calls between us from phone provider
Letters/Cards (Is it okay to submit photocopies/scanned copies of these?)

re: Consulting a Lawyer would it be best to consult one in the US, or in New Zealand?

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Queen Elizatits posted:

Have you had a chance to look over I-134, the Affidavit of Support? I would hate for you guys to have to go through a whole lot of expense and paperwork to find out your fiance doesn't make enough money for you to qualify to immigrate.

We checked and thankfully she is above the line!

Thanks for the other information, Ashcans and An Cat Dubh. Looking into lawyers and scanning letters (and envelopes) now.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Finished my CR1 process so far and am in U.S. as a conditional permanent resident as of last Saturday, yay.

Working on my GED (should have done it sooner) and waiting on my ssn now.

Saw a guy mention getting added as a secondary on wife's Bank of America credit card up thread and thought I should mention that in my research I found that they're one of the few institutions that don't submit secondary account holder information to credit agencies. They're also unideal in terms of secured credit card based on reviews I looked at but ymmv.

Getting added to another type of credit card as a secondary account holder works in terms that your spending is tracked but all paying debt back is the responsibility of the primary account holder as far as credit agencies and the bank are concerned.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
My ssn came 5 days after I got here but I did cr1.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Kwagga posted:

Yeah that part is going to be a pain as I have to get police certificates from Singapore, Spain, Germany and France. I guess I'll start collecting those one by one while we wait.

Keep copies of these (keep copies of everything you send) I was asked to bring them again to my interview.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
No but they won't ask you for financial stuff for at least 3 months into the process if not 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I'm in the US on a CR1 and had a baby with my US citizen wife, does this expedite the process to becoming a citizen for me, or make becoming a LPR any easier/quicker?

• Locked thread