Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Cuatal posted:

Thanks for the answer.

We've been here a few months, we haven't submitted the application yet because we've been working on compiling all the stuff we need. We're already doing an I-130 which I guess makes it into a family petition.

I'm thinking we should get a lawyer if we can afford it though I'm not sure what they'd really do that we couldn't.

Edit - Does anyone know of a reliable attorney that won't break the bank? The best price we found was 2,000 for everything。

Edit edit - Just posted this on the visa forum you recommended (great idea, by the way):

1. My wife does not have an a-number yet, what should we do when forms require an a-number?

2. I was out of the country and not working for the last four years, on part 6. of the I-864 it asks for my tax returns for the past three years, I don't have any and I think they'd be blank anyway, no idea what to do with that. I do have two jobs now at the Hilton and GNC but no idea how to calculate my income or prove it, I'm guessing it'd be like 20,000ish a year just on the minimum wage I'd be getting, then considerably more once you added in the commissions from GNC and the tips at the Hilton.

3. Also on form I-864, if I'm only sponsoring my wife, on section five "Sponsor's Household Size," do I put a 1 in the first box "Enter the number you entered on line 7 of part 3," and then another 1 under "If you are currently married, enter '1' for your spouse?" It says not to count anyone twice, so I'm thinking I just put a 1 in the first box and leave the other one blank, but it's confusing since it says Persons NOT sponsored in this affidavit and it's talking about my spouse.

4. Dumb question, but on the G-325A for me in ”Complete this box" at the bottom it asks for an A-number. I'm a US citizen and don't have one, do I just leave it blank?

If there is nothing unusual about your application (e.g. your spouse doesn't have any criminal convictions, was never married before, and has never been deported from somewhere), you don't need to pay a lawyer $2,000 to fill out your forms for you. The paperwork isn't that complicated and your lawyer can't make anything go faster for you, but you do need to be able to read directions carefully and follow them. Check out VisaJourney at some point for stories of how inept lawyers manage to royally screw up otherwise simple family petitions by, for example, forgetting to file necessary forms, ignoring/not informing petitioners about Requests for Evidence (RFE's) until after the petition has already been rejected for failure to respond, etc.

About the only people who really need a lawyer for the process are people/companies dealing with work visas or people who need to deal with an immigration situation that necessitates a waiver.

As for your questions:
1. She doesn't have one yet, leave it blank.
2. If you read the instructions for the I-864 (seriously, read the whole instruction document for every form you fill out) it says "If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation." This will likely require you to look up what the filing requirements actually are so you can cite them in your application (you can find them here: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p554/ch01.html ). As for your current income, a letter from your employer helps.
3. Your household size is 2, your spouse and yourself.
4. Yes, leave it blank or write "n/a".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Cuatal posted:

Yeah I've been using VisaJourney lately, thanks for all the help here too.

I just found out we can't translate the documents ourselves, is this true? I called the general information hotline and they said that as long as evidence is provided that the translator is competent to translate (I speak fluent Mandarin and I have the test results to prove it), it does not matter who translates the documents, but then they decided it was best to transfer me to an immigration officer (I guess they weren't 100% sure) who unfortunately I don't have the time to wait for since I have to go to work and the wait time was 169 minutes. I had them schedule a callback and I told my wife who speaks decent English what to ask but I don't think it's going to go well.

I-130 rules don't state we cannot translate ourselves, I-485 rules also don't, I-864 also does not. They all say the same thing which includes nothing about us translating stuff ourselves.

I guess I can just call back Thursday if my wife doesn't understand what's going on.

What are you trying to translate? Since you appear to be dealing with China, my guess is it involves the notarial birth certificate or Chinese marriage certificate? If so, your local notarial office (公证处) should be able to handle that for you (for a fee).

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Theparker posted:

What are the benefits, and/or drawbacks of becoming a citizen, over being a permanent resident?

Citizens are eligible for certain government jobs that permanent residents can't get, and are more likely to get security clearances. They can vote in elections. They also can't be deported for criminal convictions. They can get a US passport which may allow visa-free travel to more places than one's current passport. On the other hand, they can get called up for jury duty.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Cuatal posted:

Immigration officer says we can translate stuff ourselves and nowhere in any of the directions states otherwise, I also have nobody that can translate stuff here. Her birth certificate comes with an English copy though, so it would only be our marriage licenses and her bank account statement that we'd be translating, off the top of my head.

I also thought the requirements stated somewhere you must provide evidence that the translator is competent to translate, which if that's the case pretty much narrows it down to me out of everyone I know.

If I wanted to just get some random person that knows how to say ni hao to say they translated stuff that I already translated, would they just write that "I <name> certify that I am fluent in English and etcetcetc" and then stick that on there? Do we need an actual handwritten signature? Could they sign it and scan it or something?

What if we I translated it and we got it notarized? Can we just notarize everything?

If there's a Chinatown or similar immigrant enclave near you, there will be a number of small businesses that specialize in immigration documentation that can translate for you for a fee.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

That's a pretty broad question. Make sure you carry some cash - you can't pay the application fee by card (at least not everywhere). Make sure you have all your documentation in order, including a copy of your degree/license/etc. and a resume.

Remember that TN is not an immigrant-intent status, so you should be intending to return to Canada at the end of your employment period and not spending the rest of your life in the US. People forget that because the TN is not time-limited, and it can make a nasty problem.

I've heard horror stories from people who were brought here at a young age on their parents E-2 visas (because it's cheaper than an EB-5) and then graduate high school and find themselves unable to attend college in the US because they're technically international students or they age out at 21 and all of a sudden have no status at all in the US.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Since I see people talking about it in specifics, what's the general process for an American citizen like me to get married to a non-US citizen and have her live with me here in the States? My girlfriend is an international student from Thailand currently in grad school here, and with me locking down a stable job with good pay and her finishing her program by the end of the year, now seems as good a time as any to get ready for question-popping. In a perfect world I would be proposing on our anniversary this fall, but is there anything I can start reading or paperwork I can start working through in order to get a head start on that specific kind of immigration process?

Since she's in the US currently, this is what you want to do: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

It will probably cost you around $1700-1800 for everything (applications fees, lots of photocopies, and the medical exam) if you do the paperwork yourself. Once you start the process, she can't leave the US until it's over unless she applies for and receives advance parole. Depending on how your schedule goes and your mutual expectations, you may want to do a quick civil ceremony to let you get the application started and have a bigger ceremony at a later date if you want to get family and friends involved.

Computer Parts: You will want either this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide or this guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 depending on if you are planning to marry inside or outside the US. The K-1 is if you want to bring her here and then get married here, the CR-1 is if you want to get married elsewhere and then bring her here.

Powerlurker fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 2, 2014

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Cool, she's been here for several years now and is really meticulous about her paperwork so I will start looking into that.

We want to do a ceremony here and a ceremony over there, I'm guessing it would be better to do the ceremony here first?

Do the ceremony here, get her green card and then do the ceremony over there. I wouldn't recommend making any plans for over there until you have either her green card or advance parole card in had. Apparently, Adjustment of Status cases are taking longer nowadays but when my wife and I went through this we didn't get her work authorization card until after her green card interview (when it didn't matter anymore).

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Sheep posted:

It's important to be clear - if you're eligible to apply for a K-3, you're eligible to apply for a CR-1 or IR-1 as well. The difference is "get in as fast as possible then file for AOS" (K-3) or "get everything sorted, then enter and be a permanent resident" (CR-1/IR-1). Two of the three available spouse visas automatically confer permanent residency upon entering the country, so my statement wasn't exactly incorrect or anything - as I said, I just should have written "immigrant" in front of "spouse visas". The K-1 visa, again, is technically not an immigrant visa (read the second sentence of the VJ FAQ on it, or the Wikipedia page, or the state.gov page on K-3 visas which is entitled "Nonimmigrant Visa for a Spouse (K-3)"), which is why it does not confer permanent residency.

I apologize for the confusion but don't get up in arms, please.

Edit: VJ has a good comparison of the various filing options for anyone who isn't aware.

Well, also there's the whole thing that the government basically considers K-3 visas obsolete and just processes them as a CR-1/IR-1 application at this point.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Miranda posted:

We just filed the I131 and I485. I'm a student graduating in May. Given the processing times, we don't have to worry about me getting kicked out right? Because we've already filed? Will I still get the temporary EAD within 30-45 days or whatever? I knew there was a backlog but my understanding was, even if I graduate, once I file they cannot make me leave. Please tell me I'm right!

As long as you've filed the paperwork properly, you won't be kicked out (you DID file your I-130 with the I-485 didn't you? The I-131 is just for travel authorization while your application is pending). You will get the temporary EAD if you filed the I-765 with your other paperwork.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Baneling Butts posted:

OK, so I submitted the I-130 petition for my husband, but I'm impatient and want him to be here sooner than 9+ months. I'm looking at the K-3 application (here: http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f) for spouses and it seems that all I need to submit is an I-129, a copy of the marriage certificate, and a copy of the I-797? That seems too good to be true, what am I missing?

That USCIS is basically not issuing K-3 visas anymore and just processes them as IR-1/CR-1 visas. Plus if you were able to get him over here on a K-3, you then have the additional expense of filing for Adjustment of Status ($1070 plus expenses) that you don't have to deal with on a CR-1/IR-1.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Cuatal posted:

So we submitted all the stuff a while ago and first we got an appointment for biometrics on the 14th of April, then about a week after that we got a Request for Initial Evidence (I-485) asking us to

"Submit a completed and signed form I-864 Affidavit of Support for the petitioner/sponsor listed on Form I-130 or Form I-129F. Even if a joint sponsor will be used the petitioner/sponsor must submit Form I-864. (The Form I-134 is not acceptable to use for Adjustment of Status.) Also provide copies of the petitioner/sponsor's most recent Federal Income tax returns.

If you have submitted Form I-864, the version you submitted is no longer accepted. You must submit Form I-864 with a revision date of 3/22/13. All pages of Form I-864 must be present and of the same revision date.

If the applicant qualifies for one of the exemptions on Form I-864W, please submit a completed and signed I-864W."

I submitted three years of Verification of Nonfiling from when I was in Singapore/China and I went over the form around 20 times before putting it in the envelope, I have no idea what they want from us. We provided enough evidence to show we're over the poverty line and that we could also easily transfer money from China to here if we needed to.

The Verification of Nonfiling letter doesn't prove that you weren't required to file an income tax return, it only proves that you didn't file one. You will also need to cite for them the specific grounds under which you weren't required to file a return (e.g. your income during the year was below the threshold for filing).

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Cuatal posted:

Yeah the form is the right date, same as the one I have filled out on my computer.

I was gone for three years and submitted three years of verification of nonfiling(s).

I have two jobs and submitted letters stating when I was hired and how much I make, along with an account statement from my bank and an account statement from my wife's bank and a series of printouts showing how easily we could transfer money from China to America (maybe this is what confused them?) I wrote explanations on the back of all of the paperwork though.

I've been Googling and it looks like other people have had more specific responses, like requests for proof of income or tax forms, and I just get this crap, which makes me even more confused.

Oh wow, I didn't even know that. Do I need some sort of documentation for that or just my own explanation?

My understanding is that you would have to use your own explanation. Are you sure you weren't required to file a tax return while you were living abroad? (check here to confirm: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Do-You-Need-to-File-a-Federal-Income-Tax-Return%3F-) If you made more then $10,000 last year or the equivalent thereof, you may have some back taxes to file.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I have read your post maybe four times and I am honestly not really sure how to begin to respond because I feel like I have to go back to the groundwork of immigration to even begin. Ugh, ok, short answer: EB-2 gets you a green card. An H-1B, by itself, never gets you to the green card stage.

Almost everyone who is getting a green card in the US uses the H-1B or a similar working visa class as a stepping stone while they are getting through the whole permanent residence process.

Basically, even if you have a company that is ready to sponsor you, getting through the EB-2 process takes about a year, and during that time you have no basis to enter or work in the US. The company has to do all this work and pay a good deal of money while you sit on your duff in the UK. You can guess that there aren't really too many places willing to do this.

What almost always happens is that the company hires someone on an H-1B (or other work visa) allowing them to enter and work much more readily. They work for the company for a while, and then the company can decide if they are worth sponsoring. If so, the worker gets to stay in the US and keep working using the H-1B while the whole EB-2 process is ticking over. If not, well, people end up burning up their six years of H-1B time and have to leave the US.

Almost all employers prefer to start people on H-1Bs because this gets them working immediately, and allows them to evaluate workers before making any large/long term commitments like the EB-2.

Also because H-1B workers are more tied to the employer. Companies don't want to go through the money and hassle of doing an EB-2 to have the employee they just sponsored jump ship after they get here.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

So the only thing killing the DV lottery that I am aware of is the SKILL Act - I believe it's just another variation of the act that has been around for several years and fails to get off the ground. If that's not what you mean, I'd appreciate a link or something.

Personally, I don't really expect the lottery to go anywhere until congress is prepared to take some sort of action on immigration in general, and so far that has been totally dead in the water - it's one of the areas where lots of different interests converge oddly and no one can seem to come to terms with it. In particular its a nightmare for the current republican party because the ideological fringe basically wants to deport everyone, while the business interested variety would like some reasonable reform - and people paying attention to the world realize that going crazy is a great way to alienate tons of voters.

Assuming the DV was just killed though, the only options remaining would be basically through family, through work, or through humanitarian relief (asylum and refugee). Family is more than just a spouse, and you do not have to be 'super skilled' to get in on work - I have handled immigration cases for auto mechanics and cooks. What those do require, though, is companies that are really committed to bringing you in.

It should be noted that many of the non-spouse family categories are heavily retrogressed especially from certain countries. Sibling visas are retrogressed back to 2001 unless you're from the Philippines or Mexico in which case you'll be waiting at least 18 years.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

bokbok posted:

Thanks for all the helpful info. I'm still waiting for him to send through his last tax return but I guess it will be on there since he's not doing the dodgy on his taxes. It's probably between 10-15,000 only though. Do they take that into consideration along with assets?

Being just short of the $100,000 I suppose I'll need to include proof of ownership of the property and its value? Would they accept copies of that or does he have to post the original house title documents to me? That sounds pretty ridiculous, SO MANY HOOPS.

It's good to know what questions to expect. We have absolutely no intention of living off savings though. We've just spent the last year travelling between each others countries so we can spend as little time apart as possible. Prior to all the travel though I have an excellent work history and would be getting a job as soon as I'm allowed (suga mama whaaaaat). On my last trip to the US, we moved him interstate to where we are gonna live and so he's looking for work there too.

Any chance with that in mind that they would be lenient on the $100,000? If we had $80,000? Super strict on the numbers? I might email the embassy on that one since it's pretty specific.

I've heard stories of some amount of leniency with the I-134, but that still doesn't solve the problem that will arise when he has to file his I-864 when you apply for your green card (word is USCIS is MUCH stricter with that form).

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
You can try making an Infopass appointment and seeing if you can get your advance parole expedited. Some people get lucky, some people don't (e.g. "You say your mom isn't dead yet? Denied")

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Clochette posted:

He moved here in February 2013 and we got married in late April. He left in the middle of May. We filed the I-130 after that.

I had no idea adjustment of status was possible, I thought everyone who wanted to live here had to leave if their visitor visa was up after 90 days.

You could have filed a concurrent I-130/I-485 and he could have stayed here while you went through the process.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ok, so just last week I moved to the US on a K-1 visa (nonimmigrant fiancee), and from what I've gathered from skimming visajourney.com and other forums is that the order in which I should do stuff is now marriage -> adjustment of status to permanent resident -> work permit -> social security number. Does that sound about right?

The adjustment of status gets you a green card which is what lets you work. That having been said, as part of your adjustment of status you can apply for employment authorization (EAD) for free which is usually approved before your green card. You can get your SSN as soon as you have your EAD. Remember that you need to be married before the end of your 90 days.

edit: you can get your SSN immediately, but many people have trouble getting their paperwork in order in the necessary timeframe and if you wait until after your 90 days, you can't get your SSN until you get your EAD or green card.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Yes, you can file them together, that's fine. You can also file the I-130 first and the I-485 later - you just can't file the I-485 first.

Since Ashcans already entered on a K-1 shouldn't the I-130 be unnecessary?

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

lol internet. posted:

No birth certificate available for PR immigration application.

What are my options?

I have a letter from the UNHCR stating the country of birth did not provide birth certificates at the time of my birth but they can verify a person with my name was born on my birth date and that person left to immigrate to X country on X day.

Will that work for the application?

They may also expect you to try to apply for an official birth certificate from your country of origin and provide documentation that you tried and failed.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

flavor posted:

It's the end result that counts most, and that seems to be going okay for you.

You're assuming that this would go smoothly in any other country, without having any factual base for that. Going by what a close friend told me, it's also the pits to go to some European countries. Do I make general assumptions based on that? No. I'd really like to see statistics or anything seriously researched that shows whether or not the US is particularly bad before I believe it.

Anyway, good luck!

The UK recently tightened up the financial requirements for UK citizens sponsoring a spouse. The requirements are only 18,600 pounds, but it's still more onerous than the US requirements of $19,912.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I guess my wife and I need to apply for the removal of the conditional status of her permanent residency later this year. How crazy do you really have to go with all the evidence of marriage stuff? Is like, a shared bank account, a shared lease, and a couple photos enough? I don't imagine they want a huge scrapbook.

My wife was approved for the initial permanent residency without any interview so I'm a little bit less paranoid about the process than I was the first go-round when I did send like a gazillion pictures.

You don't necessarily need tons of pictures (pictures are actually the least helpful form of evidence), but you do need documentation that spans as much of the time period of her residency as possibly. I got an RFE because I only submitted our most recent lease and a representative sample of joint bank statements (though some suspect that the Vermont Service Center like to send out spurious RFE's when their processing times start getting too high). I replied to the RFE with our leases from the past two years (including the one we submitted with the original I-485), every old joint insurance statement we could find, and a year and a half of monthly bank statements. My wife had her 10-year green card a month later. So, is your wife on your insurance (health, auto, or otherwise)? Include it. Include every lease you have both been on (the WHOLE thing). Include every bank statement or credit card statement that has both of your names on it. If you have utility bills in both names, include those. They want to see a complete story that spans about two years or so, not just a couple snapshots.

TheImmigrant posted:

I've sat in on quite a few I-130 interviews, and USCIS officers have always been quite mild. Standard questions about how many windows in the bedroom, bedsheets, shower door or curtain, but nothing too intimate. The obnoxious officers probably tone it down when there's an attorney present.

If the story they see beforehand makes sense, it doesn't seem like they dig too deeply. The interview for my wife's green card consisted of them asking me a bit about my job, and what our first date was like. He then congratulated us on the quality of the application we put together (since we didn't have a lawyer present), and gave my wife her I-551 stamp. He never asked to see a single document besides my wife's passport to stamp it. That having been said, my wife was adjusting from an F-1 after having been here for a couple years and we had met in grad school. Our documentation supported that story and it made sense to the interviewer. On the other hand, I would suspect that someone who has overstayed for eight years and suddenly finds a US citizen spouse right before they get deported or the 70-year old guy with the 20-year old K-1 spouse who can't speak the same language would get a bit more scrutiny.

Powerlurker fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 26, 2015

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
My understanding is that the majority of h1-b visas end up going to dubiously credentialed "IT Consultants" working for the major outsourcing firms. I can't think of any legitimate reason that Tata, Wipro, Infosys, and Cognizant need half of the available visas annually.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Great, thanks guys. Well I mean not so great, but thanks anyway :D Does the current citizenship of the applicant (ie., me) make any difference to the process, whether L-1 or H1-b?

Are you Chilean or Singaporean? If not, then basically no (those countries each have a special allotment of H1-B visas through free trade agreements).

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
I've seen the hassles that my non-IT STEM friends have had to deal with. I know two people, a Ph.D petroleum engineer and a Ph.D petroleum chemist who were "hired" by their respective employers' overseas branches because they figured it would be easier to do that and bring them back on an L1 after two years then to go through the H1-B process. Plenty of Ph. D scientists who cool their heels in a series of postdocs instead of getting real jobs because universities have no h1-b cap to the point where they end up with a publication record that lets them adjust as an EB-1. Meanwhile, the program is flooded with junior level code monkeys who make it so much harder for the real experts to get in.

Powerlurker fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 7, 2015

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

St_Ides posted:

Here's my original post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501527&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post441463967

Good news: We're getting married. When? We don't know. I'd like sooner, she'd like later.

But we still have questions.

You said we could file an I-130 and an I-485 concurrently, and I'd be able to stay in the US at the same time. Obviously I can't work during that time, but will I be allowed to re-enter the US if I left during that time?

If I'm doing a change of status, do I have to be on a visa? When I'm driving to see her, I just tell the border guard I'm visiting her, and they don't stamp my passport or anything.... So I don't have any sort of a visa while I'm there most of the time.

If we were married outside the US, would I have issues entering before I get a green card or any other kind of visa?

What's the timeline for getting a green card during that? From what I've read, 6 months seems to be on the short end of that. How available do I have to be during that process if I'm not in the US? Like if I'm in rural Africa with sketchy cell service...

I'm sorry I need more help. We haven't had the chance to actually contact a lawyer yet. She's been too overwhelmed with school.

If you're adjusting status, you need to have advance parole before leaving the US (form I-131, it's free if filed along with your I-130 and I-485). If you leave the country without advance parole approved, your application will be deemed abandoned and you will have to start over. You do not have to be on a visa, but you do have to have been lawfully admitted to the US to adjust. My wife got her green card within three months of applying, but you should be planning to be inside the US for the majority of the time you are waiting as you will need to be fingerprinted at some point and you will need to be present for an interview and both of those notices come to your US address, by mail, 2-3 weeks before the actual appointment. They can theoretically be rescheduled, but you don't have much, if any, say as to when they are rescheduled for.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

You case is on hold while the RFE is unanswered, so technically the 5 months doesn't continue to accrue while they were waiting for your response. Having said that, the 5 months doesn't start over and it's not exactly like they stop the clock and then restart it, having the RFE basically means that you've jumped off the standard processing. It could be approved shortly after the response, or two months later. You should probably follow up with them 30 days after the response was submitted ans if it isn't approved they should give you a timeline.

Regarding processing times and RFEs, there are rumors that certain service centers (*cough*Vermont*cough*) like to send out dubiously justified RFE's when their processing times start getting too long so they can pause the clock and still officially stay within their targets.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Sharks Below posted:

I thought Texas was the worst for that?

All I know is that in recent months with I-751 applications, Vermont was spewing out RFE's while California was just cranking through applications (per VisaJourney observations). I've never had reason to deal with Texas.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

HisMajestyBOB posted:

My wife arrived in the US on a K-1 visa and we got married. We're working on the adjustment of status forms now, and it asks for the fiancee petition approval notice. Unfortunately, it was included in a folder with all the other forms and proof of support - when my fiancee had her interview, she handed those over and they never returned them. Why does the AOS need the original petition? She had the interview, got the visa, arrived on the visa, and has an I-94 - isn't that good enough? gently caress.

Also, we're having trouble finding her alien number. :( If we submit the forms without it, is it going to be rejected?

Does she even have an alien number at this point? My wife didn't have one when we did her AOS and it wasn't a problem.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a place with a concise, step-by-step detailing of what the requirements / paperwork / fees / etc are for a K-1 visa?

When I got to the USCIS all it tells me to do it submit one form (i-129f) and some money, and a lot of other sites are telling me I need to additionally send out cover letters, biographic forms, letters of intent, photos, and the like.

This is one of the other sites: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

I'm an American citizen.

Also, does anyone know the approximate turnaround time on this whole process?

Read the instructions for the I-129F (seriously, read every single page of it and pay careful attention), there's a lot of stuff it tells you to submit with it (documentation proving eligibility to marry, documentation proving that you, the petitioner, are a US citizen, documentation to comply with IMBRA if it's relevant to your situation, etc.)

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

First, keep in mind that if current patterns hold, you'll have a one in three chance for an H-1B filed on your behalf next April 1. The number of visas available doesn't come close to meeting the number of approvable petitions. Second, like H-1Bs, you don't file EB-2 petitions; your employer does. If you get an H-1B, you'll have six years on that.

Finally, I can't begin to assess the approvability of visa petitions without a consultation. Sorry. It would be professionally irresponsible. I asked if you were Indian or Chinese because there is a serious NIW backlog for them.

Academica isn't subject to H1-B caps. That having been said, I've seen plenty of postdocs with a publication record like that get in through EB-1. He certainly seems to have enough to make a credible case that he meets the requirements for an EB-1 under the "Outstanding Professors or Researchers" criteria, specifically: 1. "Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field" and 2. "Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field", he also may be able to make a case that he has "Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement ".

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Pleads posted:

So while my stupid work situation figures itself out, I will be travelling from Canada to the US for at least the month of July.

My girlfriend is flying ahead of time (PEI to California) to meet her start date on her TN-1 (veterinarian) internship. I'll be driving shortly after in her car, with her 2 cats, a few things we aren't selling from our apartment, and enough of my clothes for the month.

My question is how the best way to declare all this stuff works, and what forms I can/need to fill out ahead of time.

I'll be arriving at the border between New Brunswick and Maine. My license will be Prince Edward Island-issued. I'm not sure what stuff they have on file at the border but I'll be changing my residence to my mom's place in Ontario until my work stuff figures itself out and I know if I can stay in the US or return to Canada.

The variables:
Me: Planning on on the usual easy 90-day visa. I don't have a set departure time from the US; we're attending a wedding in Hawaii late in July and by that point I'll know what's going on with my job and whether or not I'll be getting a work visa in the US. If not, I'll be returning to Ontario to sort things out.
The car: Hers. Last time I drove it across the border (Det/Windsor) I just had a notarized letter giving me permission.
The cats: Hers. She's their vet, they'll have full papers for vaccines, etc.
My clothes: Mine, fitting in a suitcase. Assuming it won't be an issue as part of the visitor visa.
The stuff: Trying to minimize this as much as possible, it will likely be a small box of glasses/mugs, a box with vet text books and some other misc, and maybe one other box of clothing and things.
Misc: There'll also be some odds and ends card stuff like an impact wrench/car jack, does that stuff get specifically declared if it's related to the car coming in?

The form I'm looking at right now is 3299, which seems to be aimed at moving companies bringing things across but is worded such that I think it fits our situation, too (someone other than the owner declaring items to enter the US on a permanent/temporary basis).

Otherwise I just plan to explain the whole messy situation to the border guy and hope it makes sense.

Any guidance would be appreciated, this is a terrible clusterfuck from my perspective.

If you're a Canadian citizen, you should be getting 180 days, not 90.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Chunjee posted:

Any idea how long it takes to process an I-751? I put this off way too long.

We sent in my wife's at the beginning of last August, she got her permanent green card at the beginning of March (including one somewhat spurious RFE). According to the VisaJourney numbers, most of the August applicants who went through the California Service Center were done by the end of November/beginning of December while those who went through Vermont were done end of February/beginning of March. So 3-7 months depending on where it goes? Keep in mind, when you file the paperwork, they send you a letter extending your status for another year while they process the forms so you don't need to freak out about waiting until the last minute.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Cuatal posted:

Thanks for the fast responses. I guess we're just going to extend her green card for now then, which looks a lot easier than applying for it for the first time.

I'm assuming by this that your wife has her conditional (2-year) green card? If so, she still needs to undergo removal of conditions before naturalizing (there are occasionally circumstances where a spouse may find themselves filing both applications simultaneously), see http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter5.html

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Cuatal posted:

Oh wow, didn't know about this, thanks. So would we file this along with the I-90 and send it all in one envelope or do the I-90 online and mail the I-751? From what I could find it looks like the I-751 can only be done three months out from the green card expiring but the lady who did our interview and I think I saw it somewhere on the USCIS website recommended that we submit the I-90 six months from the green card's expiration date. Can we submit the I-90 and the I-751 together six months before the expiration date or is that three month period set in stone?

Or is this all completely wrong and we need to file the I-751 first before filing the extension? If so three months to file the I-751 and the I-90 seems like cutting it short.

If your wife has her 2-year green card, the only thing you file is the I-751 (and all the other paperwork that entails). The I-751 may not be filed more than 90 days before the expiration of the conditional green card. When it's processed and approved (normally it takes about six months or so), your wife will get a 10-year green card that can be renewed through the I-90 (if she chooses to keep her green card instead of naturalizing). When USCIS receives the I-751, your wife will get a letter from them which extends her green card for 1-year while they process it. At no point do you need to do anything with an I-90.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm working on my wife's I-751 and I have a stupid question, but what exactly constitutes "verification that [tax returns] were submitted to the tax jurisdiction?"

What are you talking about? I don't see that language anywhere on the I-751 or the published instructions thereof.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

You can't reuse stuff from the original application. The whole point is that you are trying to show that the relationship is real and remains real, not just resubmitting all the stuff that passed initial muster. I would actually say that resubmitting stuff is worse than submitting less, because it's basically saying 'I have done nothing to demonstrate this relationship in two years, please don't notice that'.

There's a nontrivial chance that they'll be asked to submit all that stuff over again. We got an RFE for my wife's I-751 that basically asked us to submit stuff we already sent in for the initial AOS (they said the apartment lease we sent in didn't count because it was too recent, the bank statements didn't cover a long enough period of time, etc.)

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

therobit posted:

I know someone (a relative) who fell in love with someone who was subsequently deported back to Mexico. She is of caucasian american extraction (just in case it matters) and had no ties to Mexico, but she followed him down to Tijuana and has been living there with him for some years. I think they are married now, but they were not when he got deported. Shortly after she got there her purse was stolen and she lost all of her documents. The subsequently had a son who is now 5 and never filed a consular report of birth due to something about having to come up with a bribe or fee (not real clear on this part) in order to get a birth certificate.

I know that the final answer will be "hire an immigration attorney." I have a couple of questions in the interim though, and I think I need some advice before starting down that road.

1) How hard will it be to get her son established with citizenship, given that she is a US citizen but it is now 5 years after the fact?

2) Given how hard it sound like things are down in Mexico, I think that they may want to return to the US. Given her husband's prior deportation, and assuming no criminal record, would it ever be possible to get him a green card or any other legal status? (I am guess ing maybe this is a lawyer question unless the answer is "LOL, no way.")

3) How many years would this be likely to take if she started now?

4) What questions should I be asking her, and what questions should I be asking prospective immigration attorneys?

5) Are there any organizations or websites I should be checking out? I get the sense that they are economically disadvantaged (he make 12 dollars a day). Finding a qualified sponsor in the states is probably not an issue though).

She doesn't need to "establish" citizenship for her son. Her son is a US citizen by virtue of his birth to her (presuming she meets the requirements for transmitting citizenship to her son), she just needs to obtain documentation attesting to that fact. As for getting her husband a green card the answer could be anywhere from a few year to never depending on the specific circumstances of the deportation.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I printed out renter's insurance policies for the entire time we've been living together, tax returns for the last two years, a P&S agreement on a home we're buying, and teh full three-year history of our checking account (their complaint was specifically that the statement I sent them didn't show "sufficient evidence of transactional activity through the duration of your marriage"). I feel like this is probably enough... right?

We have a bunch of credit cards where she or I is an authorized user but I don't know where that is even reflected.

Do you have an actual lease with both of your names on it? That's probably what they're fishing for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Marriage to a US citizen is the most privileged path for immigration, and it actually allows you to be forgiven for things that would otherwise stop you being allowed to get residence. So it is possible that she has issues that would prevent her from being sponsored by her parents or other relatives that would be forgiven if she was married to a citizen and applying on that basis.

Exhaustive answer: Applying for permanent residence in the US is actually a two-part process. The first part is to prove your qualification in the category you wish to apply, and the second part is to show that you are actually eligible for residence in the US. For a family-based petition, the first part is the I-130 - all you are really doing at this stage is confirming the petitioner's citizenship or residence, and their relation to you. You can file this for anyone, even if they can never come to the US for other reasons, because the relationship can still be recognized. But if you can't complete the second part, there really isn't any point. So very likely her parents can file an I-130 for her in the F2A category, if they wanted.

The second part depends on whether you are outside the US or inside. If you are outside, you have to apply at a US consulate and they will determine if you are eligible to enter the US as a resident - have you done something that would bar you, have you committed fraud, so on. If you are in the US, you can apply to 'adjust' your status from whatever it is now (visitor, student, worker) to permanent residence. In order to do so, though, you have to actually have a status at the time you apply. If you were never admitted properly, you were admitted and your status lapsed, you can't apply to adjust. Except if you are applying through a marriage to a US citizen. Then being out of status is forgiven, even if it has been a long-rear end time, and you can adjust. Why is this true for your spouse and not your children? That's just how things are.

Obviously I do not know your girlfriend's situation, but to extrapolate... she entered with some sort of status that lapsed, and now she has been here a long time without any status. If her parents file an I-130 for her, she cannot use it to adjust to residence, because she doesn't have any current valid status. So, in theory, she would need to leave the US and apply at a consulate to be admitted at a residence. If your period of lapsed status is short, that is actually an option. But if you have been out of status for 180 days, you are completed barred from the US for 3 years. If you were out of status for more than a year, the bar is 10 years. Which means if she left the US, she would have to wait 10 years before she could apply at the consulate. And even then, there is no guarantee that they would admit her - it would just mean that they could, whereas the bar requires them not to.

So your girlfriend can't leave and apply, and she can't adjust - unless she is married to a US citizen who petitions for her. Then, even though she is out of status and has been for some time, that will be forgiven and she will be allowed to adjust to resident status. Love conquers all! (ish).

If she has been working with a lawyer for a long time, it's likely that they understand her situation and are right when they say there are not other options for her.

My question would be what happened such that her parents got residence at some point but she did not - it seems strange that they came here in status, and she somehow lost status while her parents managed to get residence without her. Most paths to residence will include your children as part of the parcel. The only thing that comes to mind is that they came in status and she turned 21, aging out of her status from her parents before they became residents. There are probably a bunch of other ways that it could have happened that don't sprint to mind.

Your girlfriend is a rough spot, especially as DACA might vanish on us. :(

To add to this. If you entered under a status and it lapsed (overstayed a tourist visa, etc.) you can adjust status through marriage to a US citizen. If you "entered without inspection" (e.g. your parents swam across the Rio Grande with you) not even marriage to a US citizen will allow you to adjust as you never had any status to adjust from in the first place.

• Locked thread