Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ashcans posted:

No, no one has any idea what it would mean or what would happen because we have no idea what Trump would actually do (ie, just withdraw completely or arrange for a replacement that enables the same work authorization) and the immigration system has never been in a situation where the country just vaporized the underlying treaty of a visa class. Generally changes are given a time frame for the orgs to promulgate policies and processes, like the implementation of ESTA. The hope would be in the period between announcing and leaving NAFTA, there would be some sort of structure created for handling the fallout.

iircc,

Trump has claimed he wants to "renegotiate" NAFTA, not cancel it.

I suppose we'll wait and see.

On a related note on immigration,

I'd like to ask any poster that has knowledge about :

1. Did Obama want a blanket amnesty for all illegals in the US (in addition to DACA and DAPA)?

2. if he was for Amnesty for 11 million was the motive to get votes for the Democratic Party as an increase in a favorable voter demographic.

Point of my question: I'm trying to see if the primary motivation is 'getting more votes.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

It seems like it would be a real slow burn sort of strategy given than noncitizens cannot vote and I've never heard of him advocating such a policy.

I've thought about this too RICHUN.

In the short term, not a viable strategy as illegals cannot vote. But in the long term they may be voters in the future and their children certainly would be.

Obama has never stated this, but Hillary Clinton said the "Latin" demographics would cause the Democratic party to be a perpetual majority and basically, one party rule. She made these statements the mid 2000s (I will try to find the video).

quote:

If you were going to come up with evil schemes to get more D votes DC or PR statehood seem like more effective choices.

Yes, this makes sense as well. As for DC, District voters do vote for potus.

I believe that one of the major issues with regards to illegal immigration is American Electoral Corruption (once again).

Target a demographical group --> give them favorable policies, laws, services, and even money --> increase their numbers, which mean this supporting base will grow.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

screamin and creamin posted:

Thanks for walking in here with your well-founded and hard-hitting commentary that nobody would ever call "inflammatory bullshit". However, the purpose of this thread is to have people exchange helpful information and not to unload your political grievances. D&D is that way.

This will be my last post on this thread. It's not "inflammatory" it's just the way electoral politics work.

• Locked thread