Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Sorry if this was asked already.

I'm a gay us citizen in a state with legalized gay marriage. My boyfriend of two years is an Australian citizen. If we were to marry, would he be able to obtain a green card in the same manner as a straight couple would?

Since DOMA was partially repealed I believe as long as you're in a gay friendly state the process should be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

C-Euro posted:

Since I see people talking about it in specifics, what's the general process for an American citizen like me to get married to a non-US citizen and have her live with me here in the States? My girlfriend is an international student from Thailand currently in grad school here, and with me locking down a stable job with good pay and her finishing her program by the end of the year, now seems as good a time as any to get ready for question-popping. In a perfect world I would be proposing on our anniversary this fall, but is there anything I can start reading or paperwork I can start working through in order to get a head start on that specific kind of immigration process?

This is probably going to be my situation in the near future, with the caveat that my girlfriend will likely not be in the country when we plan to settle down and get married, so I'm interested in this advice too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

My wife finally got her green card and everything a couple months ago (she came here on a K-1 visa and then we married and applied for adjustment).

Out of curiosity, how long did this whole process take? Me and my girlfriend are hopefully planning on doing this in a year or two.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sharks Below posted:

I appreciate that it's the fastest route but it still means I have to live apart from my husband :cry:

Like there must be a way to live in the States and have no ability to work or use state resources or anything and still reside there with my family :(

That's basically my girlfriend's plan when we finally get hitched (she's a student now but she has to go back to her family in China for a bit when she graduates) and we're still budgeting a year or so until she can finally come over for good.

poo poo sucks, I wish they'd just hire more people but there's probably some minimum wait time for processing I don't know about that would still make it like a 4 month wait.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

redreader posted:

Seriously. The usa has some kind of third-world style immigration system. Those already in are like :smuggo: 'it's tough ain't it, kid' but seriously it's just dumb and bad.

I doubt Europe is much better outside of inter-EU migration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hyperlynx posted:

Why the hell does the US make travellers go through immigration and customs when they're not going to the US but are just transiting to another country? I don't know any other country that does that. Waste of everyone's time.

China does that and they'll give you a 24 hour visa so you can go spend money in Beijing while you wait for your flight.

• Locked thread