Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Johnny Cage posted:

Crossposted this from the engagement thread.

Anyone have experience getting married in the US to a non-US citizen? I just got engaged last weekend. We really don't really know the best place to start with the whole legal marriage process and paperwork. We are both students and she's been in the US for ~4 years (F-1 visa), and we have dated almost the whole time she has been here.

Any help would be appreciated.

For the getting married part, you don't have to do anything different from anyone else, just file at the county registry or whatever it is (we had to sign some documents but i can barely remember) then get married however you like.

If she's been in the USA 4 years you can then most likely go for the adjustment of status like my husband's brother and his Japanese (student) wife did, but you need to look into potential ramifications of that as they may try to angle that she came to the USA as a student with the intention of immigrating, which is an insta ban. I have no idea, but you potentially have it a lot easier than my situation - I married my husband on a holiday to the USA and had to leave and wait out the spousal visa that took a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread