Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Quick question, I'm British and my girlfriend is American, and we're looking at getting married late next year and me moving over there for us to live together. However back here in the UK I've got a sick and elderly grandmother, and depending on how things go I might need to come over to see her or attend the funeral. Whilst the applications are still in the works (i.e. after marriage but before I get a Green Card) would I be able to leave the US and get back in without much trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Thanks Ashcans, obviously we've got time before we really need to make firm plans but it's good to know there are various contingencies around.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hey I'm back with further questions! Thanks in advance Ashcans, I know it's not 'Formal Serious Legal Advice' etc. but it's really useful to have a goon who knows their poo poo to bounce questions off and get some guidance from :)

So, I was just looking at the procedure for the fiance visa and so on, and my primary question is about the medical. I take it it's just checking I'm not carrying any hideous diseases or the like? What does it actually look for? I'm from and in the UK so I'd have to assume my vaccinations and such are broadly up to snuff, especially as I've always been able to go to the US without anyone so much as mentioning the point. This isn't a critical issue or anything, I'm more curious and wondering what to expect than anything else.

Also, given that my fiance has to meet the income requirements, is there consideration given to my financial/work status? It's not been good, I've been disabled for awhile (getting better gradually, happy to say) so I've got very solid qualifications but terrible experience - is that going to be a problem? I'd assume from what I've read that it's not, the whole point is that she can and must provide for me, but I'd rather not be blindsided.

Thanks again!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Thanks to you all for your replies!

We are a little unclear on one thing with the non-fiance sponsor though; If say Pikestaff's dad sponsored me, what exactly does that mean he has to do? My understanding was basically that if I got into financial trouble that he'd be the one who has to pay, but does it require anything other than that? Would we have to show transfers from his account to mine or something?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I do online freelance writing and similar stuff, and it'd be very handy if I could still do said work in the US while my status is being adjusted from fiancee visa. Does that sort of thing get treated the same way? I'd assume the answer is a pretty categorical yes because, as you say, they don't gently caress around with it. But given that it has no geographical component and I can do it from any device that can get online, and it's literally the exact same work for the exact same sites, I'm hoping there might be an exception.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured, but thank you for the confirmation of it all. You remain a top poster :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Okay so one quick question; Pikestaff and I are pretty much ready to start our fiancee visa application, we're just gathering the remaining paperwork and looking at her financial situation to decide whether we need a co-sponsor or not. My question is; if we apply without a co-sponsor, but they tell us to :fuckoff:, can we simply add a co-sponsor to the application at that point (in a similar vein to responding to a Request for Evidence, I suppose), or would we have to start the whole shebang over again, fees and all?

Thanks once more for all your help with our questions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ahh I see. Wwe were under the impression that they had more discretion with the income and we are close to the line. Your reply is reassuring, thank you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Speaking of her brit boy, one question I do have:

When I was younger (About a decade ago now) I changed my name via deed poll. Obviously they've got provisions for that on the forms, because name changes are fairly common, but will they actually require evidence of the name change or is simply informing them that I previously had a different name on the forms enough? If they do want evidence, at what stage do they want it - when Pikestaff sends the forms in to the USCIS, or when I send stuff to/go to the embassy?

Thanks :) We've got most of the other paperwork sorted out, it'd just be handy to know this before I mail her the pictures.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

No questions today. Just some good news: Pikestaff got her W-2 from work and it turns out, to our surprise, that she did in fact make enough to sponsor me entirely by herself. Makes things a little easier, and I've got the last of the documents she needs from me in the post a couple of days ago, so we're getting close to being able to apply :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well, we got an RFE in the mail today. Apparently they want more proof of a relationship? I honestly thought that was the one base we had absolutely covered. Here's what we sent, I've been going through my copy just now to see if we missed something;

Copies of my passport pages stamped on my arrival for visiting
Copies of several ticket stubs for same (not all, threw some out before I ever knew I'd need them again years ago)
Copies of two different travel itineraries, one from 2014, one from 2016, showing travel to and from visiting her
Two different printed pictures of us together (Both taken during the same visit, however. Wouldn't have expected that to bring everything tumbling down?)
Printout of Skype records taken from several different points in time
(Plus letters of intent etc.)

Anyone have any ideas on what more we could send?

e; This is for a K-1 Fiance visa.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 16, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Should clarify this is for the K-1 Fiance visa, so we don't have stuff like joint accounts yet. Will edit this into post. Also :lol: Great job bureaucrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh awesome, thanks for that advice :) We should be able to put together most/all of that stuff without trouble.

• Locked thread