Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So back story: I am a legal U.S. resident, have been all my life. Emigrated to the country when I was 3 and was educated here all the way through college, where I earned my degree. My mum has slacked on getting my brother and me our citizenships for ~*reasons*~, we were almost about to get it once, but then her ex-husband just kind of said "gently caress y'all," divorced her, and screwed up the whole process (to add insult to injury, prior to this my mum was on track to get her citizenship through my grandmother, but the ex-husband convinced my mum to go through him for ~*reasons*~).

How easy would it be for the U.S. Government to just throw me out? Barring me committing any kind of violent crime, of course. Am I covered under the DREAM act or something? Or if poo poo hits the fan does my whole being an American in every way but name mean nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

redreader posted:

What is your actual legal status? If you're a legal us resident that means you're here on a visa or green card, AFAIK. If it's legal, what's the time limit that is imposed on you? (for green card there's no real limit, but you have to renew it). What passport have you got? Do you have an SSN?

Legal status is Permanent Resident, and yeah I have a SSN. My passport is Jamaican, though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what I was talking about either. I do, though, know that I can file for my citizenship by myself now, and that it will probably go through without a hitch, but filings crazy expensive for a young adult with student loans!

• Locked thread