Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Im in the US on a student visa, but i finish my degree in December, however the VISA doesn't expire until 2017 for some reason. Anyway, me and my fiance are planning to get married in december. Is there a reliable guide somewhere to applying for the upgrade from student visa to green card once we're married? Any helpful tips?

Edit: She's a US citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So, I went to college in the US and met my now-wife of one year there (I'm Norwegian, she's a US citizen). Currently we're in Greece working for a small NGO based in the US.
We're living here and quite like it, but I was just informed today that if I'm willing, there's a job for me in Washington with the org in a year with a signifcant pay bump, so we're pretty eager to go for it.
They're not willing to deal with getting a work related green card for me, but made the 'offer' on the assumption that since I'm married to a US citizen and have a clean record etc, getting a green card should be doable. They're also willing to sponsor a big chunk of the cost of an agency or lawyer to deal with the process in the form of a bonus, but I have to make the arrangements myself. How doable is it to get this done in a years time, and what are some reputable law firms or agencies that deal with this sort of thing?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Ok so our NGO law guy put me in touch with a few America based immigration lawyers who in turn offered me suggestions for a few law firms that specialize in green cards/US immigration.

Just got off skype with one of them, and... red flag dude, jesus loving christ. I may just be a simple European who doesn't know how this works but after explaining how we would go ahead filing in Greece where we live and work, and hopefully keeping the whole process contained to happening here in-country she also casually suggested that we hold off on applying, go 'home' to the US (with return tickets etc) and then instead decide to stay and apply for adjustment of status after two months in-country as a tourist.

As a Norwegian travelling to the US for a half year isn't illegal or anything, but she -unprompted- started going on about how to lie to customs if they should ask, etc etc. Freaked me out a little bit. How common is this and is she just being conscientious and covering all the options or should I just stop talking to these people? They came highly recommended too, which is what's making me hesitant. I mean, if I COULD do that it might be way easier to live off savings for a few months, but it just sounded sketchy.

• Locked thread