Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Ashcans posted:

As long as your sponsor meets the income requirement and you aren't using a combination of assets or something like that to bypass it, I haven't seen this be a problem.

Hiya Ashcans, I'm going to be Mister Adequate's sponsor. Just counting income alone, I fall a bit short on the income requirement. Will they count things like your checking/savings account as assets? If they do then I could probably meet the requirement anyway. Failing that, is it terribly difficult to get another relative (like a parent) to sponsor?

Edit: Also, at which point does the income requirement come into play? We were planning on a fiance visa and then marriage, then getting him a green card. I am assuming it is the I-130 petition?

Thanks a lot for any advice and tips.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the info.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Possibly a dumb question: my fiance (UK) would like to move here (US). While we're working on the visa process and waiting for the paperwork to go through and all that, should we remain in our respective home countries? We were planning a visit while waiting but I'm not sure if that is a no-no or not.

As always thanks for any help.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Ugh, this $19k point is the bane of my existence, because I make just slightly less. :smith:

I can get my dad to co-sponsor but his history with money and the IRS is horrid (he has declared bankruptcy like four times in my life). Is that going to look really bad or otherwise mess it up somehow?

edit: forgive another dumb question but can any of my fiance's income/assets count toward the total, or does it have to be (as I suspect) all me?

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 16, 2014

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

edit: never mind, but as usual thanks for all the answers and help, Ashcans.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 18, 2014

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I've got another co-sponsor question. I'm getting my dad to co-sponsor and he exceeds the income requirements but he's self-employed, so he can't exactly get a "letter from his employer" or anything. What does one do in that case?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Really hoping this will be the year that my Brit boy can finally hop the pond and stay over here with me. All we've really got to sort now is the paperwork and how much it will cost to process, which unfortunately keeps getting derailed by dental bills and the like :v:

VisaJourney says the K-1 waiting time is about six months right now and I'm hoping that keeps up.

Good luck to all the rest of you working on this this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Proof of income question. I make enough to clear the income bar if I include both my day job plus money from freelancing writing work, which pays me through PayPal. From what I can gather, since the payment is all done through PayPal, I don't actually get any tax forms from my clients and I'm just supposed to self-report it when I do my taxes. I'm planning to do that, but will it look dodgy? Is there any other sort of proof that I should include, aside from my taxes? Maybe print out my PayPal statement? I realize that sort of thing can be doctored but I'm not sure how else to prove that side of my income.

For what it's worth, the bulk of my money comes from my job, but it'll be PayPal pushing me over the bar.

• Locked thread