Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

The USCIS received my I-130 on September 24, 2013. I'm a citizen of the US and my husband is from the UK. Neither of us were married before, and neither of us have criminal records or anything that would complicate it. I'm hoping it'll take a few more months, but people keep telling me horror stories about how it could take years for him to get a green card. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Sheep posted:

I was in a similar situation as you; I think all told, including a dumb mistake on my part (photocopy rather than original sponsor signature on a document at the interview at the embassy), it took about eight months from start to finish. "Getting a green card" isn't an issue since spouse visas automatically confer permanent residency - the visa itself states that it acts as a temporary I-551 ("green card") with a validity of one year - ie until the real card arrives in the mail.

As long as your spouse isn't like Chinese or Indian or one of those other countries USCIS views with more suspicion than others, you should have no problem - and since your spouse is British... should be no problem!

Edit: you haven't gotten a NOA or anything yet? Could be a bit longer, anyways. I can't remember exactly when I sent everything off but it looks like I got important emails from NVC/USCIS/etc on May 23rd 2012 (NOA1?), June 6th 2012 (NOA2?), July 12 2012 (moved to next step: sort your documents and all that, here's your cover sheet, send everything to NVC), March 20 2013 (docs received, wait for interview date), April 2 2013 (interview date set), May 20 2013 (interview), May 30 2013 (immigrant visa issued).

Note that between July and probably January - a six month period - I just sat on my documents since the medical exam can't occur more than like six months before you enter the country, and we weren't quite ready to leave soon. So all told in my case it took just a tiny bit over a year from receiving the documents to issuing the visa, even with me wasting six months in the middle of it all.

After I sent in the I-130 I received an I-797C Notice of Action, but that's the most recent paperwork I've received from them. According to the USCIS website the case status is still in Initial Review. And everyone said that it would go fast because he's white and British. :colbert:

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Ashcans posted:

A couple things here. First, the USCIS case tracking thing is kind of crappy, it generally jumps straight from 'Initial Review' to 'Decision' the day your case is determined. It shows a bunch of steps that either won't apply to all cases or never actually get triggered. Don't worry about it. Second, you can check the current USCIS processing times here. I-130s are in some sort of backlog right now, it looks like they're still processing cases filed in March 2013. So no one is even looking at your stuff yet. You can keep an eye on those dates to spot when you're actually getting worked on (more or less).

Lastly, being British and white helps some, but almost nothing gets you bumped up the timeline. It just means that when your time comes the officer won't bitch about birth certificates and whatever. (Sidenote: Indians and Chinese get a lot of heat in employment petitions, not so much on adjustments. The people that really get burned are west africans.)

Thanks! I recently read this article and I was kind of bummed that they have such a backlog.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I'm very excited! Yesterday I got a notice from USCIS stating that my case had been transferred from the National Benefits Center to the Nebraska Service Center. It says that if I do not receive a decision or notice of action within 60 days I should call customer service.

Does this mean that they will probably make a decision within 60 days or are they underestimating their processing times?

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Glitch crashes global US passport, visa operations

Will this affect the NVC as well?

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

My husband is going through NVC right now. God, I want to kill myself.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Thank you for your contributions to this thread, Ashcans!

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

So today I met an immigration lawyer, one who deals with artists and designers who want to come to America. I told him about how my husband and I are going through the system and he told me that if my husband had stayed past 90 days he could have stayed in the country and the whole thing would be settled in 4 or 5 months, had we hired a lawyer.

Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Ashcans posted:

I backtracked through your posts here to try and get a summary of your situation. I understand you've been doing the immigrant visa processing through the NVC/consulate, but I didn't see anything about when/if/how long your husband might have been in the US. It is possible that if he was in the US at some point there was an opportunity to have filed an Adjustment instead of consular processing the petition, but I don't know if that is true without more details.

Even if it was possible, it might not have been the best option for you to pursue anyway. If you want to summarize what happened I could try to tell you if it was an option, though.

He moved here in February 2013 and we got married in late April. He left in the middle of May. We filed the I-130 after that.

I had no idea adjustment of status was possible, I thought everyone who wanted to live here had to leave if their visitor visa was up after 90 days.

• Locked thread