Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My wife and I want one of our cousins (she's 13) to come spend a year with us in the US and attend school with our kids during that time.

I'm aware that I'd have to pay the local school system for her to attend, but I have no idea what kind of visa we need. I don't think she could get an exchange student visa because we aren't going through some program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ashcans posted:

Not really my area of expertise, but... you wouldn't be able to use the J-1 programs, because I believe you need to be 15 and I think there are restrictions on staying with family - the point of the J-1 programs is international exchange.

I think that you would be able to use an F-1 to do this, but you would need to do so through a school that participates in the SEVP program, and would have to be 9-12 for a public school because they don't participate younger than that. A private school would be fine lower than that (I forget how old people are in different grades, I'm old) but would also need to be SEVP approved.

Here is a link about it that includes some links to their search tool to find schools in your region that would be able to issue the proper documents for an F-1. I assume at a private school you would need to apply as normal and get in before the process - I am not sure how it works for a public school, given that there is no admission or anything. I assume anywhere that actually does this has a mechanism for it though. You can see if your school participates in it, at least.

Thanks! That's more of a start than I had!

• Locked thread