Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I heard US citizens living abroad with a permanent resident or other citizenship will need to start paying income tax they earn?

True, False?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

flavor posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=I+heard+US+cit...rue%2C+False%3F

It has nothing to do with who you live with.

Think I might of worded that question a bit wrong.

I mean they are living abroad as a permanent resident of another country or a citizen of another country. (Their status)

That being said, last I heard of it was it was starting to be enforced, that those abroad who no longer make US their primary residence will still be required to file taxes yearly, etc.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

flavor posted:

So what's so great about replying to questions that a person is too lazy to google and that can be perfectly found an answer to if they would only bother? I'd say those warrant a lmgtfy.com 100%. How am I running something valuable into the ground?

I'd rather see things in here that are "advice from the experts" questions, not "Do I need a passport to file paperwork?" level things. Come to think of it, that tax question wasn't even an immigration question.

I have looked into it myself but I'm looking to ask about people's experience with it. As it was mentioned, it's being stepped up and "enforced" now.

As before, it really wasn't a requirement. I had co-workers who were born in US and have citizenship but lived their whole lives in Canada and have never filed taxes. They're just as baffled as well with the situation.

This is relevant to immigration because it's US citizens living abroad.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
No birth certificate available for PR immigration application.

What are my options?

I have a letter from the UNHCR stating the country of birth did not provide birth certificates at the time of my birth but they can verify a person with my name was born on my birth date and that person left to immigrate to X country on X day.

Will that work for the application?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Yeah I will most likely have to use a affidavit.

When I lookup the country of birth it says they do give out birth certificates. But frankly I didn't get one due to being born in a refugee camp so I am stateless and not considered a national of that country.

Thanks!

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So... some vaccinations are required for US immigration.

I'm wondering about the measles\mumps vaccinations for US immigration. Did this apply in 2002? I found an article for 2009 which I assume is updated but it doesn't state what was updated in the list.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

If you want to find out what was required in 2002 (why?) you would probably need to backtrack the form revisions to find and old version in use at that time, or the equivalent record. There should be memos and guidance for it somewhere, if you are determined. I can tell you that I had to have the MMR when I came to the US in 2001.

Can't remember what vaccinations I got during 2002 and with the whole measeles outbreak thing going now, was wondering if I did get vaccinated already if not, would go get it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
My wife has been filing her income tax as single since I don't have a ITIN\SSN as I am a NRA.

Will this be any sort of issue for US immigration application for me to goto the US? We have simple returns, make roughly 50-60k/year. I assume filing married actually is better for taxes, but we didn't want to get things complicated.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

She is filing her taxes as single. (Not Married or Married - Filing Separately) I am not filing because I am not a US citizen and I don't live there.

I am being petitioned for a green card there.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Have you and your wife talked about this situation with a tax professional? I do not practice tax preparation and I am not a tax lawyer, but I am pretty sure she can't just pretend to be single for the sake of making her tax filing less complicated. Even a cursory google search provides a number of actual tax advice places saying this is not how you are supposed to handle it. You should probably look into that? If nothing else, ask the tax thread here on SA.

Also, if your wife petitions for your green card, she is going to need to file an I-864 (affidavit of support) and one of the supporting documents that is required is a copy of her most recent tax return. As a rule USCIS does not audit people's tax returns to make sure they are correctly completed (they don't have the expertise) but having her tax returns clearly indicating that she is single when she's claiming you have been married for X years is going to be a big red flag. USCIS puts a lot of weight on financial documents, because if people are faking documents it's easy to take some pictures with your family or book a vacation to Florida, but involving someone in your taxes, accounts, or insurance is a much bigger deal.

Ahh, guess will have to see what happens then as the petition is already in process. In terms of proving the marriage and stuff, I don't think it will be too hard, she actually got a green card to come to Canada first then we decided to go back to the US. We went to HR Block (yeah lovely) but they were clueless on what to do when I kept telling them I had no SSN because I am not a citizen.

Hopefully it can get through and we can amend the returns once I get a green card. There is no tax benefits of her filing as single, it's just I had no SSN. I'll check out the tax thread as well.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

starksfergie posted:

Oh, Hey, I'm a tax professional....

if you aren't married to an American and you are foreign but with NO US income, then you won't need to file. As soon as the Green Card is settled, you can sort of make the decision at that point whether you need to file a US tax return. When I was doing US taxes in the UK, we took a protective position that as soon as your Green Card is active, you are US for tax purposes (even if you still don't have US income), but you could likely find a position that since you haven't been in the US yet and you don't have US income, you might be able to get away with not filing a tax return for the year in question.

Proviso, if you are still just applying for a Green Card, and you are a non-US citizen, but you have US income, you may want to reconsider not filing!

Please feel free to ask if you don't think I have clarified for you!

Cheers

Thanks, there was no US income but I think the concern was my wife was filing as "single" instead of "married, filing separately" because I have no SSN\ITIN.

Is that an issue?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 23, 2015

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So my wife received a letter requesting evidence of a bonafied marriage for our spousal petition. Any chance I'll get the green card before end of year? and when do they normally request for me to go into an interview at an embassy?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Initial I-130/G-325 form with passport photo copy's, drivers license, Affidavit for place of birth, marriage certificate, and passport photos. We been married for maybe 3-4 years now. Initial application was submitted in November 2014 I believe.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Canada here,

It's only easy if you have a lot of $$$$ (aka 500k-1mil and open a business as an "investment.") or your job is on a list of "in demand/needed" jobs.

Otherwise, it's pretty comparable to other countries. Also, they just raised the spousal application process from 1 year to 2 years. So yeah..

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So.. I applied for BoA Travel Rewards visa through my wifes name and was able to piggy back myself as a secondary card holder to start building credit now.. while waiting for my green card to be processed.

The CC application asked for either my SSN, Birthday or Address. I just used my birthday.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Sharks Below posted:

Does that work? Getting a secondary card and building credit? I would think that that would only build credit for your wife (this is a problem I'm trying to solve at the moment too).

I entered the country with a fully paid visa 3 weeks ago and still don't have my green card :|

From the research I've done.. it looks like it does. Either way, I plan to keep my Canadian AMEX\Canadian Chase Visa opened in Canada when I move to the US. Apparently you can reference those accounts when you apply for a card in the US.

Unrelated question though, my wifes I-130 application for me requested evidence of a bona fide marriage. Once submitted, how long can I expect to wait to hear about the immigration interview assuming there are no issues with the evidence? Also, interviews only take place in Montreal? Not Toronto? and the green card is approved on the spot at the interview if there are no issues correct?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Sharks Below posted:

What kind of visa are you applying for? K3 or IR1/CR1?

IR1/CR1

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the thorough indepth process. Hopefully I get a expedited NOA2. I plan on importing my car to the US so it will also be beneficial for me to sign up at that site.

In regards to the medical. Is it like a full on naked physical? Or just basic stuff? Not that I have a choice I imagine, but good to know what to expect.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone import a car as a personal belonging to the US before when immigrating?

From what I'm reading so far.. it looks like you will need to pay state taxes to register the car? Which kind of sucks of course.. I assume the Kelly Blue Book value?

My destination state would be WA.

edit: The car is actually my wifes car which she exported from the US and imported it to Canada, then transferred the ownership to me prior to her going back to the US. If I do indeed need to pay taxes on registering the car again, can't I just get my wife to re-apply for a "lost title" and then have her register it in her name? It was initially purchased and plated in WA.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 27, 2015

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So USCIS asked for evidence of a bonafide marriage. It says return the documents to Mesquite TX, so I assume the service center is TX correct?

Another question, I was given roughly 3 months to submit the evidence, and the processing time listed for TX is 5 months for spousal I-130, does that processing time include the 3 months? We didn't end up submitting the documents till the last week before the deadline basically.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Blah, anyways I think my RFE submission is going to be late. Perhaps I'll have to start over again.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

WetSpink posted:

Saw a guy mention getting added as a secondary on wife's Bank of America credit card up thread and thought I should mention that in my research I found that they're one of the few institutions that don't submit secondary account holder information to credit agencies. They're also unideal in terms of secured credit card based on reviews I looked at but ymmv.

I ended up getting it on BoA. I assume they do submit it given they are a huge bank? Although it makes me wonder, I assume credit agencies use the SSN as a primary unique key to identify people anyways, it might be pointless regardless but it's worth a shot anyways.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Wooooo

After 8 or 9 months, my I-130 for my case finally got approved!

I guess that means I can't expect an interview till December in the winter :canada:

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 5, 2015

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
How do you find out the NVC qualifying date? And does Priority need to crossover it prior to being processed, or gaurenteed it will be by then?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking about finding out when priority dates become current, or what processing times are for the NVC once an application is eligible for processing?

Sorry, I think its the processing times are for the NVC. I was assuming a specified priority date is basically a date where everything gets wrapped up no later then what was specified.

Also, SSN automatically sent through mail? For those who have went that route, how long did it really take? Asking this, because I don't want to actually leave my current job until hopefully I secure a job there first which I am assuming should probably take me up to 3 months but no later.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
CR1/IR1 petition.

I believe our case has been sent to the NVC. The status says "On June 17, 2015, we sent your case, Receipt Number XXXXXX, to the Department of State for visa processing."

Once received, any chance the whole process would be complete before the end of the summer or at least have a interview scheduled? I am in Canada. Wondering what the realistic expectation is for me to get approved.. I'm hoping before the snow starts to fall in the east coast as I need to drive out west I get the green light.

I don't think our case should run into any issues as we've been married for about 5 years or so..

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Welp.. I hope the snow in the NE isn't too bad next year... :(

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Still waiting for NVC to receive my application.. it was sent out the 17th of June.. it's been over a month and the website has no update.. should I call them at this point or wait a bit longer?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Ugh. NVC is requesting my birth certificate. Problem is I don't have one as I was born in a refugee camp.

I sent them a copy of the United Nations letter confirming I was born in a camp and no birth certificate is available.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

If there is no certificate available, we usually include an affidavit from someone who can attest to the details of the birth. So if you have a parent or relative or someone who was there and is still around to do that, you might want to get one completed (or two, if you can) to verify your details.

Yeah that's what they requested.

Do you know if it needs to be notarized?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Brennanite posted:

Thanks, that's very helpful. It looks like a combination of 1-3 should be doable and enough. Also, reading over it was quite amusing. The different ways they politely said "fake"--"highly susceptible to fraud," "likely to be fraudulent," etc.--was very entertaining.

Heh, I submitted a copy from the UN Refugee high council stating I was born in a camp and at the time, they did not give out birth certificates. Anyways, they rejected that and I just mailed my affidavit the other day.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I'm at a year now and my appears are stuck at the NVC. They requested extra information for the birth certificate which was submitted 3 weeks ago -_-

I am hoping to be enroute to Amerikka in February/March of 2016 and I hopefully no later!

Anyone know if the NVC sends an update once they confirm the requested documents? I got a confirmation saying they received the documents and it could take up to a month to process.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Well, as a security precaution. You're right that it's extremely rare and the US probably loses tons of money every year thanks to people avoiding trips by way of the US because of it.

Isn't this a post 9/11 thing or was it always like that?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
CR1/IR1 applicant.

So.. my police clearance was sent to the NVC during the IV process.. and on their instructions it says it was forwarded to the consulate.

On the consulates instructions, it says to bring the police clearance and a copy..

Any idea if I should be getting a new one? or do I not need to do that since the NVC forwarded the clearance letter to them?

This is also the case for the "Financial evidence..." on the NVC file, it says it was forwarded to the consulate.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I don't have a copy of what I sent. It was the original and it is still within 12 months correct.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Meh, my interview is on Thursday, worse comes to worse is I need to give them the stuff after the fact I guess. A couple more months of waiting isn't a big deal as it's still winter time for parts of the US and I plan on driving to the pacific northwest when I immigrate.

My only worry is that I don't have a birth certificate, but I read on Visa Journey that a UNHCR letter of birth has worked for them.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So I was approved Thursday pending a updated original employment letter from my wife.

Any idea how long it takes for them to process the letter once they receive it?

Also, for my medical, I didn't mention but I didn't actually get a physical. The doctor just asked me my weight, height and general questions, then he told me to to get an xray and a VLRD blood test. The whole thing with him was less then 5mins, I'm not sure how they justify the $300 fee. I had to pay an extra $1 as well for paying debit.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Oh 221g processing,where art thou?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Finally! CEAC shows Visa Issued! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Is there any sort of sponsorship which exists for brothers\sisters over 18? I heard there was some sort of long term application for this like 10+ years?

True or false, if true, can you point me in the correct direction.

• Locked thread