Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Uncle Jam posted:

What is the reasoning to let people in for higher education, like PhDs, only to make it incredibly hard for them to stay afterwards? It seems really dumb to me to educate people to the highest standards so you can send them back to their country.

My job involves issuing J-1 (research visas) for a major state university.

We have hundreds of people come here every year contributing to research that makes us a lot of money and which gives prestige to the university. Unless the J-1 Visitor is extremely skilled (and usually western European), they usually are paid by their home government or a scholarship from their home country. From China, Brazil, and Colombia, for example, we have people with Master's Degrees and PhD Degrees doing medical or agricultural research making $1,500/month (close to minimum wage!). They usually have to pay for their own health insurance as well.

A researcher on a J-1 visa can stay here for up to five years.

The US makes it very easy for people to come study here and then to live here long enough to be milked for cheap research and skilled labor. On the J-visa, if you stop working for the host university, you have to leave the country within 30 days. This allows the government to strictly control who is coming in and to make sure they won't be a drain on the system. You have to prove you can support yourself during the duration of your research; if your scholarship is cancelled or if you suddenly lose funding in any way, you have to leave.

I would say 20% of the people who come on J-visas are actually being employed with full benefits. Most fully-benefited J employees are Post-Docs. SOME of our visitors get paid very well, but they are usually already extremely successful in their home country. Most of the people we have come here are doing cheap labor for us even though they have advanced degrees and even though we probably are profiting hugely off of them being here. They do it because the employment situations in their home country are bleak and coming here looks very good on their resume. Even though the pay is pretty bad by our standards, it's worth it to them and it's just enough money to live off of while doing the program. It also gives them a good opportunity to do research and get published etc.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Anecdotal but after my wife got her work permit our final appointment where they gave her the green card was a month or so later. The guy who conducted the interview had a crewcut from 1950 and a tie filled with crosses. He asked "Are you a member of the communist party?" The interview was like three minutes and he gave her the green card.

She has been here for six years though on a student visa and just got her PhD.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Cuatal posted:

What if we I translated it and we got it notarized? Can we just notarize everything?

A normal notary can just notarize that they saw people sign stuff. So if you got the random person who can say ni hao to go in with you to the notary, they could notarize that this person signed the thing.

Whether or not that is sufficient for the application I cannot say, but I would definitely suggest paying a translation service to do it so that you don't risk more scrutiny and delay on your application.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Also you probably have an advisor (the person who signed your I-20) at the place you are studying that you can go and talk to. They can help explain the OPT process to you and could also probably help determine if you could switch over to a J-1 visa after your OPT runs out (if you end up getting employed as a post-doc, for instance).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If it's an assistantship and your primary purpose is studying then you would be an F-1 student. You can do OPT after you graduate and (hopefully) transition to an H1 afterward.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You don't need a visa STAMP, but you need an I-20 and you will have an F-1 visa status. So the stamp you get in your passport will not be required, but you will still have to have an F-1 visa status and follow all the rules, restrictions, and regulations of it.

Since you have an assistantship lined up, that is fine and fully permissible on the F-1 visa status provided you are working 20 hours per week or less and on campus. Once you start OPT you can do it anywhere as long as it's related to your major as defined by the CIP code on the I-20.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I work as a J-1 advisor, but the J-1 visa has a lot of different categories, which one are you considering? I only really deal with Research Scholar, Professor, Student Intern, and Student categories. Generally you can't do stuff on a J-1 if it's outside your field, but give me details about the job and I can try to tell you if it would work. The most employment-like thing I see on J-1 Research Scholar is post-doc work. Keep in mind that J-1 visas are not like H-1 visas in that employers can issue them; For the most part, only universities can issue them, but with some exceptions like Fulbright and some hospitals etc. The J-1 visa is SUPPOSED to be cultural exchange, but people abuse it all the time as pure employment and often use it as a stepping stone to H-1. It's okay to transition from J-1 to H-1, but if you're on the skill list or have government funding, you will get subjected to 212(e) and then you'll have to try to waive that before you can get an H-1.

By the way, a lot of times employers will tell you that you can do stuff on a B1/B2 visa, and 90% of the time they didn't check with anyone who knows what they are talking about and are wrong. Even if you aren't getting paid, there are very few activities permissible on a B1/B2 visa, but the employer is more likely to be the one who gets in trouble than that if you got caught.

If you are Canadian you might want to look into TN, and if you are SUPER SKILLED you could look into an O1.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You can call the US consulates in Germany and see if they will give a new J-1 visa stamp to you there. If not, you can try in Canada or Mexico (Canada will almost always say yes): http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/nonimmigrants-present-visiting-canada-mexico.html

You're correct though that you would need a new valid J-1 stamp to exit and re-enter the US, not just the valid DS2019 Form.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Getimmaaw posted:

According to http://www.nzcgla.com/new/passports.php , you can courier the application to the

New Zealand Passport Office
Department of Internal Affairs
PO Box 1568
Wellington 6140
New Zealand

or the DIA Passport office in the NZ High Commission in London.

It specifically mentions you courier the application, nothing about appearing in person.

http://www.passports.govt.nz/Adult-passport-renewal---form Wow. Online renewal.

This is for passport renewal and this is from the government of NZ; he needs the US government (via a consulate in another country) to issue him a J-1 visa stamp. He can't do that with the link you gave.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Also if it's not already clear, don't bother to do this until you get your DS2019 extended

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I am thirding the advice to not try to go early on a waiver. Also, when you go to your F-1 visa interview, don't mention your boyfriend AT ALL.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

How many people here work a a DSO or ARO? I've been an ARO for two years now and am trying to figure out career paths etc. I have been applying to positions higheredjobs for several months. Since I began applying, I had one interview, but didn't get the job. I'm at one of the lower paying state schools right now, and I would love to move further north (and/or west). It seems like you have to switch jobs to get any form of real promotion. Maybe I am biased from where I work, but it seems like a really stagnant field and that my best bet is to try to find something else somewhat related that has better growth potential.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

Yea, immigration processing bites, and it is a mostly heartless process. Most people do not realize that you need to start really looking at this stuff way, way ahead of your intent - I mean, we are talking about a move in almost a year, and you're finding out you're running late. I can't tell you the number of times someone has come in saying 'Oh, and we need this done in two weeks' and you have to let them know that its going to be six months and that USCIS doesn't give the slightest crap about how it messes up your life.

Put this in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

SEVIS is still working fine though. That article made it kind of unclear what exactly wasn't working, but it must be whatever specific thing the consulate uses to issue the actual visa stamps and not SEVIS itself, which would have been a much bigger disaster.

• Locked thread