Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things
Crossposted this from the engagement thread.

Anyone have experience getting married in the US to a non-US citizen? I just got engaged last weekend. We really don't really know the best place to start with the whole legal marriage process and paperwork. We are both students and she's been in the US for ~4 years (F-1 visa), and we have dated almost the whole time she has been here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things

Demented Guy posted:

Not a lawyer but unless one of you becomes a permanent resident or an H-1B visa holder, you can't work in the US legally. You can both stay as F-1 visa holders as students but you need a whole different path if you want to live here in the US permanently/for a long time legally. Even if one becomes married to a permanent resident, you're still gonna have to wait until the preference date under F2A visa (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5749.html) becomes current or exceeds the day you become married to an LPR before you're eligible to apply for a green card yourself.

I should have clarified that I am a US citizen, she's not.

• Locked thread