Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ok, so just last week I moved to the US on a K-1 visa (nonimmigrant fiancee), and from what I've gathered from skimming visajourney.com and other forums is that the order in which I should do stuff is now marriage -> adjustment of status to permanent resident -> work permit -> social security number. Does that sound about right?

You should get your social security number ASAP. You don't have to wait until you have your work permit.

edit: Welcome :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I followed the VisaJourney guide and it worked for me. I did not receive an RFE (request for evidence) or anything.

It took about a year from when I submitted the I-129 to when he received his visa. Here's our timeline, for reference:

I-129F Sent : 2011-12-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-12-12
I-129F RFE(s) : N/A
RFE Reply(s) : N/A
I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-04
NVC Received : ?
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : ?
NVC Left : ?
Consulate Received : ?
Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-13
Packet 3 Sent : ?
Packet 4 Received : 2012-08-13
Interview Date : 2012-09-26
Interview Result : Approved
Second Interview
(If Required): N/A
Second Interview Result: N/A
Visa Received : 2012-12-16
US Entry : 2013-04-11

Edit: To clarify a bit on what is required: the proof of your relationship can be sent with the I-129, but it's more important to have all of that for the visa interview stage. And for that, the more the better, especially if you're in the kind of situation that might bring up some red flags e.g. a huge difference in age, religion, culture, language, etc.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 28, 2015

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can someone that's married and started working shed some light on something for me?

I applied for a K1 for my fiancee about a month back, and it's processing.

I was doing more research today, and I was something about having to fill out an i-485 (permanent residency) form as well, which runs like an extra $1000. Also, apparently that form is needed (and takes months to process) before it's possible for my fiancee to work in the US on an I-765? The I-765 work authorization (K1 status) looks like it expires when the K1 does, but that seems odd because it's at least a 3 month processing time to get it, which would mean that it would expire before it was even sent.

It also seems like it takes ~5 months for the i-485, which would mean that they would be deported even if we were married, and then have to come back in 5 months when the form processes, and then they can stay. Something doesn't seem right here, but I"m not sure.

The goal is for my fiancee to be able to come to the US and start job searching right away, and we'll get married at some point within the 3 months (haven't decided on a date) allowed by the K1. Will they be deported if we're married but don't have an i-485? Will they be able to fill out a I-765 and work? We have enough money to be able to survive for a few months, but there's no way we can afford 5 months of downtime if we have to wait for the i-485 to process and then apply for a work visa then.

I'm confused by this question. Is she applying for a K-1 visa or a work visa of some kind? If it's a K-1, you can file for a work permit (Employment Authorization Document) at the same time you file the I-485, but you can't do either of those before you are married. The K-1 visa by itself doesn't allow you to work. So yes, your fiancee might be waiting for several months before she can work, but if you get married ASAP after her entering the country you can cut down on that time.

edit: Maybe I'm wrong. This seems to suggest you can get your EAD before you're married, but due to the time it will take, it's not likely to save you a whole lot of time, and you'll have to pay extra if you don't send it along with the I-485. If you're really in a hurry and need to save money, you should just get married as soon as you can. If you need time to plan a wedding, just have a quickie civil wedding and then plan a celebration later.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 9, 2015

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

We filed for a K1 a month ago, and that's it so far. We plan on doing a civil. The only reason we're delaying is because we haven't lived together and want to wait a few weeks to make sure everything works between us beforehand.

The concern is more about being able to work for her. She's educated and can get a "real" job, but we want to avoid being incomeless as much as possible.

So you get married, file the 485 and work auth, but what happens in the meantime? Does she head back until they process it? Does she just sit around jobless for 5 months?

I don't know if you truly mean "incomeless" here, but if you do, you need to know that when your fiancee goes in for her visa interview, she will have to have an affidavit of support from you along with proof that you make enough money to support both of you (I think it's 125% of the poverty line, around $20k/year for the two of you unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii). If you don't have this now, you either need to get a job that pays enough ASAP or find someone willing to cosponsor her. This is pretty much a non-negotiable requirement - if you can't prove you have the income (or substantial assets), she's not going to get the visa. Not that $20k is really a whole lot to live off of for two people, but that's the minimum.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Ashcans posted:

You are going to need to wait until she has her work authorization - SSA won't issue someone a number unless they are able to work, basically.

That's not true. They will issue a Social Security card with "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" or something along those lines written on it. It's a good idea to get one before the EAD comes, it just makes things a whole lot easier. See: Step-by-Step Guide to getting a Social Security Number (SSN)

Note you can do this before the wedding, but you have to do it at least a couple weeks before the I-94 expires, or they won't let you. This was a mistake I made, and we then had to wait until the EAD came, and it was a hassle.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Not technically an immigration question, but I'll try anyway...

My husband has a green card that expired in January. We applied for a renewal back in November, and got a letter that his permanent residency was extended for a year, but he doesn’t actually have a new green card yet (and judging by the processing times online, it will probably be at least another 6 months). Is the green card + letter good enough as ID for TSA to board a non-international flight?

His passport is expired, too (he’s been trying to renew it for almost a year, but that’s another story), and he doesn’t have any state ID. He’s going to go to the DMV next week to try to get one, but I’m worried he’s going to have trouble there, too.

The notary at the UPS Store refused to accept the card + letter as valid ID, though I'm hoping the TSA/DMV are a little better trained.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Ashcans posted:

The DMV should probably issue him an ID, although it may only be valid until the end of the extension accorded by his receipt. That might vary by state, though, as DMV is a state thing. It's worth noting that you do not necessarily need an ID to travel domestically, the TSA does make allowances, but it requires that you complete a bunch of additional paperwork and you will probably be subject to the most thorough screening. Check it out.

Update: My husband was able to get an ID from the DMV without much fuss, though it does expire when the green card extension does. But that's ok.

In other news, his own embassy is still refusing to renew his passport until he applies for and gets a birth certificate. He has a birth certificate, but they insist it has to be a different kind of birth certificate. They won't let him apply for this birth certificate until he renews his national ID. They won't let him renew his national ID because his passport is expired, so they claim he has no proof of identity (a US green card, state ID, expired passport or national ID doesn't count). It doesn't make any sense at all, but multiple in person visits and telephone calls have failed to make any progress and apparently he's not the only one who's having this trouble.

I sometimes get annoyed with the slow speed of the immigration process in the US, but geez, at least it makes a little bit of sense and it's possible to get through it eventually.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Sounds like it's time to apply for Naturalization! :v:

While not entirely joking, if the consulate is giving him this much trouble has he considered applying directly for his birth certificate from his home country? If he has family or friends in the country they may be able to apply for a copy on his behalf, and otherwise he might be able to do it by mail through someone (ie, get the forms sent to him, fill them out, send them to his friend to mail in to the center, that person mails the certificate back).

USCIS has its problems, but it also has avenues for you to escalate and appeal issues. Consulates are basically the 'buck stops here' without much ability to move up. That's true for the US ones too, if a consular officer bounces you you can't do much besides go back and hope you fixed the issue (or that he has had a better day).

He has a friend who works for the local government there who said there's absolutely no way someone else can get it for him. We're considering sending his brother some money to bribe someone, maybe going to the consulate in New York to see if they'll be more reasonable, even though if you live near DC you're supposed to deal with the DC consulate. Or yeah, naturalization, though that still won't allow him to go back home because US citizens need a visa. Funny enough, the embassy was very efficient at processing my visa. Worst case scenario I guess he can go to a neighboring country and try to cross the border by land. But I'm just amazed how much trouble it is just to renew a passport.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Congrats St_Ides. I'm really glad it worked out for you. Dealing with all the immigration stuff is really a huge hassle at best, but at least you're over the hardest part now. Just remember that you need to file to remove conditions on your permanent residency as soon as you can but no sooner than 90 days before it expires. They're about 10 months to a year behind on processing those at the moment (we're still waiting for our submitted last November), so you don't want to wait until the last moment to get that in.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Any pictures you have together are good, even if they're not of you traveling or any indication of when they were taken. If you have pictures of you and her family or her with your family, that would be great, but it won't be held against you if you don't have any, especially if you explain that it's because you were both living far from your families. Anything you have proving you lived together will be good. So bills sent to both of you, a copy of a lease with both your names on it, a bank account, etc. If all else fails, you can get someone (e.g. your landlord) or multiple people to write a letter verifying that s/he saw you living together during this time and you were in a legitimate relationship. You probably didn't write each other letters since you were living together, but you can use transcripts from text messages or phone call logs, if you have something like that.

As for the translations, no idea, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Get ready to wait 11 months or so. But yeah, the card should be enough, but some employers might also insist on a current ID of some kind, like a driver's license or state ID. If you have one, you're good. If not, you might have to argue with the people at the DMV who have somehow never seen a letter like that before. Or at least that's my experience.

• Locked thread