Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

An Cat Dubh posted:

This is a bit back in the thread, but I noticed no one has answered you, so I'll give it a try. When was your son born and where are the two of you living now? If you are living outside the U.S., you can get a Consular Report of Birth Abroad from the U.S. embassy where you live, but it needs to be done before he is 18. You also need to meet certain requirements to confer U.S. citizenship to your son. Have a look at the U.S. embassy website where you live to see if you meet the requirements and what you need to do in order to get the report (which basically is a certificate of U.S. citizenship).

I've also looked into this quite a bit. The CRBA makes it easier, but if the plan is what I think it is (let the kid decide for themself what they want instead of forcing it), best plan of action is to slap together a documentation kit and keep it stashed away. Proof of relation (DNA tests), photos, documentation of eligibility to pass on citizenship. And then you just let it sit there. Anything happens to you and the kid's fine. After 18, it's a different form, but pretty much the same process, the only difference is that they will never have a birth certificate that says anything about the US on it.

Per visa stuff. The consular staff policy is to urge some sort of resolution of status in the event of a possible citizenship claim, however, if the applicant is in a rush, or they cannot definitively determine status based on materials in front of them, they are to issue a visa as normal. While urging them to gather materials to support the claim. Nothing says you have to do it though. Pretty simple.

edit: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/153156.pdf
Here's that document on policies :)

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread