Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I'm a Canadian looking to begin a PhD in the US next fall. My girlfriend, who is also Canadian, will be coming with me, but chances are she won't have any work lined up and she won't be studying herself any more. We also aren't planning on staying more than the length of my PhD (5-6 years). We are considering getting married, but we will have neither the time nor the money to have a proper wedding before leaving next year, and so we'd rather wait if we can. Would it be better for us to get officially married? What do we need to know about immigration law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Ashcans posted:

Ok, so I am not sure what you mean by 'coming with me'. Being your girlfriend doesn't confer her any immigration benefit, so in terms of coming to the US she will need to have her own status - that means she needs to get a job, be studying, something. She could come with you for like, 90 days as a visitor, but otherwise she needs her own status. She can't just tag along with you. Now as a Canadian it's relatively easy for her to work in the US using a TN, but she'll still need an offer.

If you get married, she can come to the US with you as an F-2 (I am assuming you'll be here on an F-1). She can't work or do very much, but she would be able to hang out here for the duration of your studies. So if you're not getting hitched she needs her own boat.

Thanks for the answer. If we get married, what would she have to do to be able to work in the US? Also, if we will be moving next September, how soon would we have to get married?

• Locked thread