Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
So I think we're finally ready to file for my permanent residency - adjust status from F1 to spousal. I'm doing it myself and I'm so goddamn scared of doing it wrong I'm afraid to even file. Any advice or good checklists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Ashcans posted:

If you are really terrified/uncertain about your ability, you might want to consider getting an attorney. I mean, I work in immigration so I usually do that (pay my rent please) but it can be an especially good idea if you don't feel like you have a good grip on the process or you are really stressed out by it. At least consider getting a consultation and finding out what it would cost.

Obviously start by reading the instructions for all the forms and the information on USCIS. There are a number of self-help groups online that have reasonable guides and checklists (I just looked at immihelp and it's decent, I know visanow offers guide kits for a $50 fee). I am willing to provide some guidance until we get too close to legal advice or actual application prep, which I avoid for multiple reasons. It's not clear to me how much/little information you actually have, so if you can give a clearer idea of what scares you I can try to help. Like, do you understand what the basic process/forms are? Are you confused about what to submit with an application? Are you simply plagued by a nameless fear of failure?

There's no way we can afford an attorney unfortunately. I do have a fairly good idea of the process, it is a nameless fear yes. Like being rejected because I've traveled to Syria and Lebanon...sometimes I can be a bit high strung! I've looked at this page:

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents and
http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

I'll go through everything and post again after my night shift tonight!

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
We just filed the I131 and I485. I'm a student graduating in May. Given the processing times, we don't have to worry about me getting kicked out right? Because we've already filed? Will I still get the temporary EAD within 30-45 days or whatever? I knew there was a backlog but my understanding was, even if I graduate, once I file they cannot make me leave. Please tell me I'm right!

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Powerlurker posted:

As long as you've filed the paperwork properly, you won't be kicked out (you DID file your I-130 with the I-485 didn't you? The I-131 is just for travel authorization while your application is pending). You will get the temporary EAD if you filed the I-765 with your other paperwork.

Yes, sorry, I always forget which is which. I'm worried we are going to miss our mail because for some reason it gets hosed up at this address. I'm wondering if I should change it now to my in-laws, just in case. Only, we don't live there, it would just be mailing.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Apologies if this has been asked before but, what kind of evidence or preparation should we make for our interview?
I'm Australian, met my US husband in Egypt (it's a pretty awesome and unbelievable story but it's true!), came over on a student visa. Just graduated and got a job in neonatal nursing. Should I bring evidence of my job or anything like that? Or just relationship evidence? Or not bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Ashcans posted:

You should bring a copy of whatever you submitted to USCIS, in case they ask you for something you already sent (which happens).

You should bring updated evidence of your relationship - current statements for a shared bank account, lease if that has changed, pictures taken of you guys since the original petition, sex tape (don't do this) etc.

Make sure you have all your original status documents, like passport, copy of your I-94 from your last entry, I-20s and EAD, etc. You probably included copies of this when you filed the petition but having the originals is good too.

If you relied on your income in any way to complete the I-864, then you should bring evidence of your employment, like recent paystubs. If the support was entirely from your husband, then it's not a bad idea to bring some current documentation of his income.

I'm pretty sure it's all based on his income but I did just get hired as an RN, would it be any good to bring a copy of my contract if I have it?
I have photos but none are dated...obviously a lot of our photos are online, should I get a bunch printed? We haven't done a joint bank account yet, mainly because I've been poor as poo poo, is it worth setting it up now given it's next week?

• Locked thread