Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So, I'm a Russian-born UK citizen, and I've wanted to move to the US since basically forever.

I'm about to receive a Masters degree in Computer Science from a leading British university, and a friend of mine in the US has a small business and wants to hire me as a FTE. He lives out in the sticks, though, so he genuinely cannot find somebody local to do the work for him. H-1Bs for this FY disappeared in a <24 hour feeding frenzy this year, but actually couldn't he just sponsor me for a green card directly? He's already (informally) done a labor cert and come up short in his local area, and I believe that an MSc counts as an "advanced degree" for an employment based visa, and this category doesn't have any associated backlog.

This seems a little too easy, he said he'd ask his lawyer about it but is this actually a viable course of action?

Failing that I could always try riding the H-1B train next year and maybe work for a few years in Canada in the meantime. The only real reason I want to move to the states is that virtually all of my friends live there. I'm not really a native British person and I like the atmosphere in the US far more than I like the one in the UK. Well, that and I'd like to do some sort of tech work other than "write a terrible ASP.NET thing for ten quid an hour" or "prostitute yourself to a bank".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Can I do contract work for him from overseas in the meantime, or is that a no-no? I mean, given the cost involved it's probably not worth his while, I suppose.

Thanks for the responses so far

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Awesome :) thanks for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it

• Locked thread