Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

flavor posted:

:regd08:look at me i found lmgtfy:regd08:

Yes, U.S. citizenship, regardless of whether or not one has lived in the US forces one to file federal income tax (to the IRS) and declare foreign financial assets (to the US Dept of the Treasury and the IRS seperately).

If you have a tangible relationship to a particular state (e.g. driver's license, voter registration) you will likely have to file state income tax.

Federal income tax exempts the first $92k of your earned income from taxation in pretty much every country. Interest from bank accounts and other capital gains are not exempted.

State income tax, well, varies by the state, but I've never heard of a state that lets you get away without paying their income tax on the full sum.

What you mentioned about stepped-up enforcement is what I referred to above about declaring assets to the Dept of the Treasury. This is called the "FBAR." It is bullshit and duplicates the function of IRS form 8938 (FACTA), which is filed with your federal income tax at different dates and with different exchange rates to the IRS, a bureau of the Dept of the Treasury. More here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

flavor posted:

No, the thread title is "Ask me about US immigration", which means people immigrating (= moving into) to the US. It's not about "emigration" or just "immigration".

Emigrate from this thread.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

computer parts posted:

I doubt Europe is much better outside of inter-EU migration.
No way--the Republic of Europe is a cinch to get a work visa in.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SeventhUncle posted:

Any advice on finding an emigration lawyer? I'm an Austrian citizen living in the US with a green card. My wife is a natural born US citizen and our kids are dual citizens. I want to get dual citizenship as well.

This seems relatively straight forward on the US side but Austria is confusing about it and I don't know where to go for help.

Are you wondering about applying for permission to be naturalized in the US without the loss of Austrian citizenship?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SeventhUncle posted:

That's exactly what I'm wondering about.

Well, that's not really a question for this thread, is it?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Hyperlynx posted:

Why the hell does the US make travellers go through immigration and customs when they're not going to the US but are just transiting to another country? I don't know any other country that does that. Waste of everyone's time.

Why do I have US passport stamp from Vancouver?

We may never know...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
If a citizen of a Visa Waiver Program-eligible country (Sweden) is married to a US citizen residing abroad, are they at risk for being denied visa-free entry to the United States upon entry? Will they be seen as coming to the United States with an undeclared intention to immigrate/overstay/work?

The person in question has the money/time* to apply for a visitor visa (B-2) as an insurance policy, since the trip she's going on is pretty expensive for her. One concern is that she doesn't have fixed employment, major assets or real estate to back her up.

I've found a number of people posting about this problem for spouses from countries outside the VWP, but not so much about those covered by it.
* I shouldn't speak too soon, what with all the Iranian-Swedes who are forced to get visas to go to Tehrangeles this summer. :-/

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Was that a drunk post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Do you know which citizenship she has?

Groda fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 14, 2017

• Locked thread