Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Just play against the hardest AI, "hard" is a codeword for "slightly worse than a bad pubbie." Absurd or whatever is like playing with a slightly competent macro player and pretty good micro player.

Or join us against pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you could also do 1v1 ranked. up until you get in silver rank, your opponents are basically braindead, and then in silver they're just Bad up until you hit rank 70 or so

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Playing a few rounds of Galactic War is a good way to get to know the units, so doing a run-through or two is definitely worth it. There's a distinct jump in difficulty and playstyle once you hit multi-planet systems, so set the galaxy size to smallest so you hit them earlier.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's (early) robbitz time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gargantua and I just finished a 2v2v2v2 with two big planets, each with a moon. We decided on a controversial same-planet start due to some delicious metal placement, followed by us quickly overrunning one team and Gargantua sniping another team's com in orbit. The fourth team finished the com-sniped team off on their planet, leaving us with one planet and moon and the other team with the other. They then built about 40 unit cannons continually pumping out t1 bullshit and lagged the server to quarter speed hurling them around the solar system. Then they tried to Halley their moon into us. Gargantua managed to kill the Halleys and take the moon while I continued building eco and nukes and stuff on the main planet, both of us continually fighting off multiple hundreds of sky dox landing at random locations and intervals, all in slow motion. Once Gargantua managed to take out enough cannons to get a stable foothold on their planet half the opposing team ragequit due to their super elite t1 rocket plans not working, allowing us to spit t2 and nukes everywhere with little to no resistance. At this point we discovered another two dozen unit cannons on the opposite side of the planet to our assault.

The game took at least an hour and a half, but according to the replay clock only 45 minutes of actual gameplay happened.

The best part is that at about the 15 minute mark we'd deliberately turned off a bunch of lobbers because we didn't want to dox lag the server. Innocence.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 10, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gametime motherfuckers

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Thank you to Ralith and wonkotron for a wonderful introduction to PA:T multi. Many robutts were built, many more were blown up!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

me n' gargantua are smashing robots! come join us!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

fuckers who alt-f4 in 1v1 ranked instead of loving surrendering are the worst assholes because then i get to set there for 3 minutes "waiting for opponent to reconnect" staring at my army being seconds away from wiping their commander

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

10 games in a row the other guy has done a fast t2 strat i guess this is the new ranked meta

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Did it work? If it didn't work then the meta is still dox only.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When they weren't being a moron about it, yes

Half the time it was idiots who built 10 fabbers, grabbed their starting 5 metal, and then put all 10 + their commander in the t2 factory while building nothing else. They were terrible.

Then there's the guys who grab 8-10 metal and immediately set 3 fabbers + commander to t2 factory while using 2-4 t1 factories + static defenses to defend against attacks. They do crazy well: by the time I have a t1 army capable of overwhelming their defenses, they already have t2 up and running and my infernos faceplant against leveler shells.

Lately I've been going for heavy t1 tank spam + light bot support, and even getting up a Tele right outside their base during my first raid I just can't beat the 5 minute t2 army without going t2 myself as soon as I see that.

I haven't tried mass dox against this yet, but I don't think they'd do any better. Since the other guy expands so little there's not really much to raid. Maybe if I went in real heavy and hit them with a dox ocean after they go t2, since t2 tanks aren't all that great against massed dox for their price.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've run into (what I assume was) the competent version a few times and the best success I've had was stalling the build. Killing the assisting fabbers or tank blobbing their metal outpost puts a real crimp in things and gives you time to leverage your eco advantage.

e: I've also run into the incompetent version. That water map seems to be a magnet for people to test their pro no naval, t2 air start.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 14, 2016

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Well that was funny.

2v2v2v2 shared.

After the first, oh, 5-10 minutes my computer goes full Slideshow on me. Bursts of smooth running, then 3fps for 30 seconds.

My units responded to my orders, but that was about all I got.

I blew up an Ares incursion and a commander by accident, while waiting for the game to resume refreshing.

Other highlights:
Using nukes as ordinance rather than game-enders. I blew up SO many T2 energy farms.
Sending a massive fleet of orbital units off by accident and blowing up half a T2 air army with SSXs and Battleships.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I keep freaking out midgame and tend to let things run on autopilot too much.

Tested out the T2 rush vs Relentless AI, it does seem pretty effective.

Throw boats into the mix and it gets weird, though: you dominate the sea but can only plink at land. And trying to fight Sea and Land tends to make me forget all about orbital (yes, I know).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On a primarily navy map T2 navy will be able to choke econ to a huge amount of coast line. But T2 Navy still has the issue of slow travel time.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
If you've got T2 navy on lockdown and there's important ground to capture, start setting up T2 artillery bases and/or go heavily T2 air (repair platforms are amazing). Remember to build adequate anti-air and anti-orbit defenses at firebases; I like to do 2-3 flak cannons, then 3-5 catapults (helps keep longer-ranged T2 units on land from causing problems as a bonus), then 1-4 holkins.

Mile'ionaha posted:

Using nukes as ordinance rather than game-enders. I blew up SO many T2 energy farms.
Sending a massive fleet of orbital units off by accident and blowing up half a T2 air army with SSXs and Battleships.
If nukes are a game ender and not just a tactical tool, someone'd screwed up badly. Of course, this is the norm, so YMMV.
Orbital is great for anti-air. Remember that tactic when the time comes to nail down a foothold on an enemy planet with major air presence when you don't have massed T2 fighters handy.

Mile'ionaha on IRC posted:

20:36:05 < Mileionaha> I am so bad at recon.
20:36:12 < Mileionaha> But if you lob enough nukes, it hardly matters.
20:36:47 < Mileionaha> I wish there was some way to say "Hey, all 'yall Hermes, go fly to this planet and land at distributed points around its surface."
20:36:57 < Mileionaha> Instead of "Oh, all of you cluster on one spot and then start patrolling"
Any number of orbital scouts isn't a great tactic regardless in mid to late game, when you can instead just build one or two advanced radar satellites and get tanky, easily-defended vision on entire planets.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 15, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

save me from ranked hell

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

So turns out that helios + manhatten teleport is absurd unstoppable alphakill

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Helicon One posted:

It used to be better :v:

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Helicon One posted:

Oh my god. I am a dummy. I assumed it couldn't port because it was a titan.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Splicer posted:

It used to be better :v:
it used to be broken :v:

When the Manhattan first came out, the damage falloff wasn't set properly and so it would pop a com at the extreme of its range. This was compounded by the Helios previously not needing any warm-up time for its teleporter.

Along with SXX snipes, that tactic is probably the biggest reason why it's important to have a shitload of Catapults surrounding + orbital forces above your com. It takes 13 Catapult hits to down a Helios and you can pack them much tighter than Umbrellas. (although Umbrellas actually only have 50 less DPS, amortized, and benefit from less overkill and far higher velocity). To survive lategame against an opponent aware of this tactic, you MUST be able to kill a Helios before it can turn on its teleporter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ralith posted:

it used to be broken :v:
You say potato...

I forgot about the old damage falloff, I was just think of the orbital warmup change. It's been a while since I did a good manhattan drop.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
They're still pretty good, since hardly anyone builds enough anti-orbit. We should do it more.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Mistakes were made.

I still had 4 win-strategies come into play at the same time:
Army
Nukes
Helios+Nuke tanks
Overwhelming Orbital.

SO NYAH!

(I realize the mumble ribbing was all in good fun, I ain't actually mad at y'all, but I was frustrating *myself* over improperly selecting poo poo)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If we're talking about the FFA I really fumbled guarding myself while I focused on raiding everyone else.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mile'ionaha posted:

(I realize the mumble ribbing was all in good fun, I ain't actually mad at y'all, but I was frustrating *myself* over improperly selecting poo poo)
I was so confused because you sent away all the SXX that you could have used to wipe out his attack. Then I saw that you were sending them directly above his com :allears:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it is early robot time

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Had such a good close game with ninjew vs two pubbies just now. Four planets, all starting, one of which orbits a gas giant and has nearly twice as much metal as the rest. Early game has me fighting one guy on the gas giant moon and ninjew alone on the sole halleyable planet. Ninjew ecos up and expands to the other unclaimed planet while I keep the gas moon enemy from capturing much metal. Enemy expands onto the gas giant and the guy I'm fighting starts receiving production support, which ultimately pushes me off the planet as my defenses were inadequate to deal with massed levelers (should've spammed more catapults instead of building a holkins, and/or nagged ninjew for production support of my own). I take over operations on the halleyable planet while ninjew suppresses enemy gas giant operations and manages, through superior railgun micro, to prevent them from immediately capitalizing on their eco advantage. Meanwhile I take my time fortifying the halleyable planet (though the enemy never ended up pushing it hard) before finally flinging it into the gas giant moon, removing the enemy's maneuvering advantage and putting us on nearly equal (but still somewhat inferior) eco footing. I move my attention to preparing unit cannon attacks while ninjew and the enemies maintain an intense back-and-forth on the gas giant. My first two efforts fail due to massed T1 bombers, but in the process of scouting for drop zones I identify an enemy nuke farm about halfway loaded and we perform an emergency battleship raid to pre-empt an overwhelming volley. Thanks to ninjew's constant attrition of their railguns on the gas giant and our massed avengers landing right on top of those that remained, this succeeds, and I shortly afterwards land another unit cannon volley, finally managing to build flak cannons before the bomber mass arrives, and hold my ground for long enough to get a teleporter up and dump out a T2 tank army. An enemy SXX swarm no doubt being prepared to snipe our remaining com deploys over the flak and teleporter, but by then their air force is already dead and my tank army is nearly out of range--and ninjew's somehow managed to deploy orbital support directly on top of them, soon wiping them out. Simultaneously, the battleship attack force has moved on under ninjew's command to take out their com antinukes, and I drop a prepared nuke on his head, wiping out their army and almost-but-not-quite killing the com. The freshly arrived tank army finishes the job and we've won.

Super intense. Super satisfying. :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's early robot time

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Not enough robots today :smith:

Had one pretty satisfying game regardless. 3v3 with 4 planets: 1 starting, large and metal-rich; 2 halleyable and mid-sized; 1 starting, tiny, and with exactly 6 metal over 2 start points. Of course both teams put someone on the tiny planet, resulting in a back-and-forth over that nearly worthless territory for the entire game. Ninjew was theoretically on the tiny planet but apparently there were no functional mice in his entire house so I did the best I could to manage it and my base on the main planet simultaneously. While we were flailing around they expanded to the other two planets uncontested, but our obnoxious dox and Splicer's persistent raiding were effective enough that we were able to get T1 metal up on most of the large planet, and eventually overwhelm their remaining assets there. This gave us juuuust enough eco to raid and capture their first medium planet when they started building halleys on it, then to nuke their second maybe fifteen seconds before it rammed ours, and then finally bringing it home with an accidental com snipe by a final orbital raiding group.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Any tips for multi planet micro/macro? I play this occasionally normally with friends vs AI. Single planet is fine as I played a lot of supreme commander 1 way back when but I can't seem to get to grips with managing everything on different planets, is there something tips I should be following or is it something that just comes with experience?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picture in picture is your friend. I only actively manage two planets at once. The rest are guarded by swarms of T1 and T2 air and have builders slowly ringing it in anchors and umbrellas so I never need to look at them again. I don't typically concentrate forces in any one spot and instead just have them slowly spill out of teleporters into whatever planet I'm fighting on. Repeat orders become more useful the larger the system is. Oh, and keep your commander and your strategic weapons on one of those fortress worlds, but make sure you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sunber posted:

Any tips for multi planet micro/macro? I play this occasionally normally with friends vs AI. Single planet is fine as I played a lot of supreme commander 1 way back when but I can't seem to get to grips with managing everything on different planets, is there something tips I should be following or is it something that just comes with experience?
As Larry said, PiP is absolutely vital. Press Q to bring it up, shift-q to switch between your windows. Make sure to have full radar/visibility coverage on any planet you're not actively paying attention to. If you're playing with multiple people it gets easier as long as there's communication on a broad scale about who's responsible for what planet etc.

Also come play with us tonight!

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
PiP is pretty handy, didn't know about the quick switch command though, will keep it in mind. Repeat orders, as in patrol? I know the quick grid thing for building things like anchors which made my life 20x easier than manually shift queuing all of them individually, but is there a similar thing for units patrols? So that it looks like a swarming hive rather than manually plotted blobs of air units?

I could do actually :v: EUTZ?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sunber posted:

PiP is pretty handy, didn't know about the quick switch command though, will keep it in mind. Repeat orders, as in patrol? I know the quick grid thing for building things like anchors which made my life 20x easier than manually shift queuing all of them individually, but is there a similar thing for units patrols? So that it looks like a swarming hive rather than manually plotted blobs of air units?

I could do actually :v: EUTZ?
We start about 9ish GMT, though we start earlier if there's people about.

You can click-drag for patrolling which will set up circular area the units will constantly patrol in. If you click-drag over the entire planet it will set a patrol zone over the entire planet, opposite side included (it will kind of "snap" visually when this kicks in). If you do this with a factory then every unit coming out of the factory will be given the "patrol the entire planet" order on being built. (don't do this if you've got fabbers in the queue as patrolling fabbers automatically do things like assist or repair, and the closest job will be the factory, so you'll suddenly come back to find your entire economy invested in fabbers speedbuilding more fabbers to help speedbuild more fabbers to help speedbuild-)

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
That would save me a lot of headaches for patrols and not having to go back and forth setting up new patrols for new groups so thanks! I found I kept getting unit cannoned on particularly large planets and setting up blobs patrolling left gaps enough on large planets for foothold teleporters to appear.

I'll probably be around 10-11 GMT, is there a TS or Mumble server?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
IRC is #PAGoons, Mumble is Planetary Annihilation on the SA CTS Mumble.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Awesome, I'll be sure to check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Robots are happening

• Locked thread