Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

The drop in quality of their music the moment Kliph was kicked out of the band is hilarious. I stopped keeping up with TFL after the Beatles cover album and Wayne's obsession with Miley Cyrus, hoping they would eventually return to making good music, but I guess they're going to continue making wannabe ambient music with misspelled words like 'fwends' and 'famly'.

the drop in the quality of their music started just before or after the soft bulletin was released. at least amongst my peeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I was pretty down on the singles but the album's good! Certainly not one of their best but it has a really trance-like, sad vibe throughout and some of the individual songs are excellent.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WaryWarren posted:

the drop in the quality of their music started just before or after the soft bulletin was released. at least amongst my peeps.

Personally, I liked a lot of the music they released in 2011 and Peace Sword was pretty cool. That's the most recent stuff I can think of that isn't embarrassing to mention or listen to.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I wish this was an instrumental album. Every word on this album loving sucks.

Why the gently caress is Wayne even in this band? He stinks. And save your great front man talk, he spent the last tour standing still tied up on a podium holding a baby doll.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

WaryWarren posted:

Honestly the only dodgy (non-covers) album they've released post-Soft Bulletin is Mystics in my opinion. Hell I genuinely consider Embryonic to be one of their best.

I see that they've put out another video, which I'll check out when I get off work. Considering that the only song I've even kind of liked from the new album so far is "How??" though, I have literally zero hope of the song being any good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Mystics is really uneven, but it has some absolute gems like Pompeii and The WAND.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Embryonic is awesome. The terror is one, sad note for a whole album.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

The Terror is their best album

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Best at putting me to sleep, maybe

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
So uh yeah, what are the best Mercury Rev albums?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
The soft bulletin.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Still need to give the album a few more listens but I think it's pretty decent. Nowhere near my favorite of theirs, but nowhere near the disaster people were claiming it would be.

Really surprised at how much of a natural extension this album is from The Terror and 7 Skies H3; I actually think it's just as bleak and depressing as The Terror but in a slightly more melodic way. My main complaint is that the album feels overly long and some of Wayne's songwriting is really subpar. I dig most of it though; it's a pleasant atmospheric listen and I respect what they were going for creatively even if I'm more of a fan of the Lips' noisier side.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Slackerish posted:

they're all nearly flawless, but there's two distinct periods of the band's music. their first two albums were way noisier and chaotic art piece type albums, reminiscent of contemporary lips material. yerself is steam and boces have a similar structure in terms of sequencing and progression, as if they're soundtracks to some insane film and that's why i call them art pieces as much as they are kick-rear end albums. here's a good idea of what they sound like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2VffKMuFKo
then, due to chaos in the band the principal (genius) nutcase of the group, david baker left in 94 and jonathan donahue and guitarist grasshopper took over, leading to (in my opinion) tighter and more poppy songwriting. a lot of people prefer the baker era, but with the exception of a few tracks on the secret migration, there isn't a dud anywhere on the ensuing albums. in 95 they released see you on the other side, which is 100% flawless and a good starting point, but was a commercial flop. in 98 they released a last ditch effort called deserter's songs which is a classic folky rock album and another good starting point, and it led to major critical acclaim and a new career basically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PihwbkwtNc0
2001's all is dream is a psychedelic rock fairy tale and a perfect album, 2005's the secret migration was a little spottier but still great, 2008's snowflake midnight incorporated a more techno sound but still rules, and 2015's comeback the light in you should be regarded right up there with the best albums of the last decade. sorry for gushing, but they are my favorite band and they don't get the attention they deserve
edit: also you have a ween avatar so i know you will love these guys

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mystics is really uneven, but it has some absolute gems like Pompeii and The WAND.

That is true, it does have some spectacular songs on it. "Vein of Stars," "Pompeii am Gotterdammerung," and "The Sound of Failure" are all favorites of mine. (Also "Free Radicals" is fun to sing along to :v:)

Slackerish posted:

If you're interested in looking into them, their best run of albums is probably See You on the Other Side through All Is Dream, though honestly they're all pretty good. Early stuff is noisy, latter stuff is pretty dream poppy (which is not too bad considering how much I love dream pop)..

---

Also I have too admit that "Nidgy Nie" is better than I thought it would be, though that's probably because the song doesn't overstay its welcome. Still will probably just stream the album or something though since 3 crummy songs and 2 okay songs out of 12 total isn't great odds so far.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It was alright. Loved the opener and the instrumentals but definitely not my favorite album off theirs.

I might say it's just as good as the Terror, maybe even better after a few more listens. The Terror really didn't age well for me, like Embryonic and a few of their other albums.

Maybe not the place for this, but I enjoyed it more than the new xx album that also came out today. That was a snore.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
i'm liking the album so far. some parts are pretty bad (mostly lyrics). One Night While Hunting is one of my favorites so far.

also the Mercury Rev recommendations are spot on. exactly what i'd recommend. Deserters Songs is amazing first half but the second half isn't very good to me. I don't think Secret Migration or Snowflake Midnight are that great but the former has two of my favorite songs of theirs (In a Funny Way and Across Yer Ocean)

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Slackerish posted:

The first two albums. They're awesome. The third is pretty good, but they start getting really cheesy after that point. I can't stand Jonathan Donahue's voice anymore; it's like Wayne Coyne on helium. A lot of people seem to really like the more orchestral stuff, though, so maybe it's just not for me.

I tried listening to the new Lips album, but the lyrics on the first track made me cringe so hard. I guess I should give it another shot. Jesus, Wayne.

Kicking Kilph out of the band might've not made much of a difference, but it seems like he might've been the pressure valve that kept Wayne from totally losing it.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 18, 2017

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i hope surfingelectrode is alive :ohdear:

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Wayne will be fine. He's just got to power through his weird acid hipster midlife crisis.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
At War With the Mystics also has some of the best album art of the 2000s. If you look at the vinyl sleeve you'd swear you're looking at a prog record from the 70s.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 18, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Wayne will be fine. He's just got to power through his weird acid hipster midlife crisis.

Didn't he say on his WTF interview that he's only taken acid once?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

turnip kid posted:

Kicking Kilph out of the band might've not made much of a difference, but it seems like he might've been the pressure valve that kept Wayne from totally losing it.

I think it was Wayne's wife that was doing that because everything seems to have nosedived the moment she left. The Terror was good but that was Steven locking himself in a room and getting poo poo done on his own while Wayne drifted off to bizarro land.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

turnip kid posted:

The reviews I've seen for the album have all mentioned how poor the percussion is on it so it appears Kliph is missed a bit.

They've all labeled the album as mediocre, which I agree with. Not terrible, but it's hard to call it good

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 19, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The album as a whole is better than the singles they put out, but it's still a pretty uninspired batch of nearly identical songs. I honestly wish it had just been released as an instrumental ambient album, because the lyrics drag it down so much. Wayne has never been a lyrical genius, but the songs on this album are so childish and juvenile that it was almost embarrassing to listen to it with other people around. Seriously, look at this poo poo:

How??
White trash rednecks
Earthworms eat the ground
Legalize it
Every drug right now
Are you with us
Or are you burnin out??

There Should be Unicorns
Yeah there should be unicorns, the ones with
the purple eyes not the green eyes
Yeah there should be day glow strippers
Ones from the Amazon
Some edible butterflies
We put ketchup on
Some motorcycle stunts
That always crash

It's word salad. Completely meaningless word salad with no subtext or emotion or derived meaning of any kind. Its only purpose is to fill the vocal track with random poo poo that Wayne thinks is cool. I hate it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Thom and the Heads posted:

i hope surfingelectrode is alive :ohdear:

I think so, I'm trying to buy a record off him on Reddit.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

facebook jihad posted:

The reviews I've seen for the album have all mentioned how poor the percussion is on it so it appears Kliph is missed a bit.

They've all labeled the album as mediocre, which I agree with. Not terrible, but it's hard to call it good

Kliph was a cool dude and all and its hosed up how he got kicked out of the band, but people waaaayyy overstate his influence on any actual songwriting. Steven always wrote all the drum bits, Kliph was just the touring drummer and maybe contributed a little bit to the Terror.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
He may have not been too important to the songwriting but his drum work really added a kick that a lot of Flaming Lips song would suck without, like most of the songs on Peace Sword and Are You a Hypnotist??

Actually most of Yoshimi wouldn't have been as good without Kliph.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

a bone to pick posted:

He may have not been too important to the songwriting but his drum work really added a kick that a lot of Flaming Lips song would suck without, like most of the songs on Peace Sword and Are You a Hypnotist??

To my knowledge Kliph didn't actually do any recording though, he was just the tour drummer.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Epi Lepi posted:

To my knowledge Kliph didn't actually do any recording though, he was just the tour drummer.

Oh true? I always assumed he did because I can't find any info on the drummer for Yoshimi, if anyone has the original album hopefully it has the band members printed on it somewhere. Here's what google says:

https://www.google.com/search?q=yoshimi+battles+the+pink+robots+musicians

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I'm going by what I remember form when he used to do Ask Kliph threads on their official site. Maybe he was being modest about his contributions, but to my knowledge Drozd does all the album drumming and Kliph just learned the parts for touring. Remember, Drozd was mostly just the drummer until The Soft Bulletin. He's so loving good at everything though and since they were down to just him, Ivins and Wayne by that album they just used prerecorded drums on tour until they brought in Kliph to be the tour drummer.

I believe Kliph said he did a little bit of writing/recording for the final album he was around for, but I'm pretty sure he didn't do much if any prior to that.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I thought Kliph did drums for Mystics? Or was that just when he was made an official member of the band.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53afcd8be4b0f6113496b34f/t/5419ef5ae4b048e0909f21e2/1410985818400/TDJ-Issue-Four.pdf

In the interview here he says the first album he contributed to was Embryonic, and mentions that one of the drum parts on The Terror that the interviewer asks about is done by Steven Drozd.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

trem_two posted:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53afcd8be4b0f6113496b34f/t/5419ef5ae4b048e0909f21e2/1410985818400/TDJ-Issue-Four.pdf

In the interview here he says the first album he contributed to was Embryonic, and mentions that one of the drum parts on The Terror that the interviewer asks about is done by Steven Drozd.

drat, I can't believe Steve did all the drumwork I've been listening to for a decade now. I mean ffs electric Wurms was pretty cool I wish he would do more stuff on his own.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HK7FchJfc4

He definitely drummed on "Embryonic". E.g. skip to 14:07 where he discusses the band reactions to his contributions and starting to record with them, and how if he couldn't do it fast enough then Steven would come in. 5:33 has them recording with him on drums too.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

a bone to pick posted:

Drozd is even doing the drums in the Are You a Hypnotist?? video.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I underestimated Drozd's talent.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

This chat between Prince Paul and Wayne Coyne reminds me a little of the good ol' days of non-dickhead Wayne: http://www.talkhouse.com/wayne-coyne-flaming-lips-talks-prince-paul-talkhouse-music-podcast/

quote:

On the eve of the release of the Flaming Lips’ new record Oxzy Mlody, Wayne Coyne sat down with legendary hip-hop producer Prince Paul at the Sonos store in New York City and got deep on creativity and collaboration. Their talk takes on the Lips’ creative process, De La Soul’s copyright issues, the joy of life, scaring neighborhood kids and how Wayne gets blamed for turning Miley Cyrus into a drug addict. After their conversation, Wayne and Prince Paul answered questions from members of Battles, Bauhaus/Love and Rockets and Brookzill!

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i was listening to embryonic today and i still don't get it. it just sounds so samey and dreary, i'm not sure i could pare it down to one album i like. but it seems like everyone really likes it, am i missing something? the only song that really grabs me is Silver Trembling Hands

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
as the soft bulletin is probably my favorite album, i wanted to mess around and create my soft bulletin director's cut or whatever you want to call it. i wouldn't change too much but some of those b-sides just need to be heard, so hear it is:

1. Race for the Prize (Mokran remix version)
2. Satellite of You
3. Slow Motion
4. The Spark that Bled
5. The Spiderbite Song
6. It Remained Unrealizable
7. A Spoonful Weighs a Ton
8. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
9. 1000 Ft. Hands
10. Waitin' for a Superman
11. The Gash
12. Sleeping on the Roof
13. Buggin' (Mokran remix)

I feel like we can lose What is the Light and The Observer for those awesome b-sides and I feel like Buggin' ties all that sadness together and the ending of that song is a perfect album ender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

zh1 posted:

I feel like we can lose What is the Light

I didn't realize it was wrong opinion o'clock already, drat, time flies

• Locked thread