Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

1554 posted:

New Reader Alert! I have some questions about Turn Coat.

Thomas' change hurt a lot and Morgan's death hurt more than I was expecting. My question however is if Peabody was about to influence new Wardens because of their age, why did Ana get ensnared? I know she has a "new" body but her mind (not brain) is centuries old. Same with Morgan. Or was if because of the ink? I don't recall any clear answer to that in the book.

Could someone with better knowledge of the book than I help?

For Luccio, I think it had to do with being in the new body, combined with her mind having already been tampered with by Corpseraker. And I think Peabody managed to influence everyone, but only directly control the younger Wardens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 15, 2010

MildShow posted:

For Luccio, I think it had to do with being in the new body, combined with her mind having already been tampered with by Corpseraker. And I think Peabody managed to influence everyone, but only directly control the younger Wardens.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MildShow posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

He pulled the whammy on everyone he could pull it on. Younger Wardens, or those who were already mindfucked (Luccio), were the easiest.

Remember, dude had years, maybe even decades, to do his work. Just waiting for the opportune moment. He triggered it early when Harry exposed him. Imagine if Harry hadn't figured it out. Locking down half the council with a word, and messing with the rest?

It could have been a disaster.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Codex alera: I'm two thirds through Princep's Fury, and I really haven't enjoyed it as much since everything started revolving around the fight with the Totally-Not-The-Zerg. I kinda feel like the series peaked when Tavi was still furyless, but in a position of massive responsibility as a legion captain. When he started getting his furies, I feel it started to degenerate into more boilerplate fantasy.

It's still enjoyable though, and I'll probably finish the sixth book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Geisladisk posted:

Codex alera: I'm two thirds through Princep's Fury, and I really haven't enjoyed it as much since everything started revolving around the fight with the Totally-Not-The-Zerg. I kinda feel like the series peaked when Tavi was still furyless, but in a position of massive responsibility as a legion captain. When he started getting his furies, I feel it started to degenerate into more boilerplate fantasy.

It's still enjoyable though, and I'll probably finish the sixth book.

Agreed on all counts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
What's up with folks saying Dresden is starborn and his mom designed him to be an outsider murdering machine? I think I missed that bit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

builds character posted:

What's up with folks saying Dresden is starborn and his mom designed him to be an outsider murdering machine? I think I missed that bit.

So far there hasn't been an explicit exposition dump on what a Starborn is, how they come about, or what they can do. However there are bits and pieces of information scattered across all the books that amount to,

1. Starborn come to be through some confluence of circumstances, either accidental or engineered.
2. Both Harry and Elaine are Starborn.
3. Being Starborn gives you the ability to wield some kind of influence over Outsiders. Precisely what this means hasn't been covered, but Harry's magic has been shown to work more or less as normal when fighting Outsiders. Other Wizards, even those with Senior Council level talent, have difficulty getting their magic to have any effect on Outsiders.

Past that, we dun know much. Basically Harry (and Elaine) were born with super powers that turn them into silver bullets against Outsiders, who are likely to wind up as the Big Bads of the entire series. So, you know, that's nice for them.

As for why Maggie set about making sure Dresden would be a Starborn... It might be as simple as wanting him to have a fighting chance against Lord Raith, since Raith had made some kind of deal that got him Outsider protection and rendered him pretty much immune to magic. It could also be something a lot more convoluted and, knowing these books, it's probably the latter of the two.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 20, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Remember, dude had years, maybe even decades, to do his work. Just waiting for the opportune moment. He triggered it early when Harry exposed him. Imagine if Harry hadn't figured it out. Locking down half the council with a word, and messing with the rest?

It could have been a disaster.

I kind of love, as well, the implication that the reason Harry wasn't affected by it all wasn't because there was anything special about his mental defenses, it was because he couldn't be bothered to show up to do his damned paperwork.

builds character posted:

I think the most specific information comes from this passage from White Night:

quote:

"It is relevant," Lasciel said, "because of the circumstances of your birth -- because of why you were born, Harry. Your mother found the strength to escape Lord Raith for a reason."
What the hell was she talking about?
Thud-thump: 1:26
"There was a complex confluence of events, of energies, of circumstances that would have given a child born under them the potential to wield power over Outsiders."
Which didn't make any sense. Outsiders were all but immune to magic. It took power garnered only from centuries of study and practice, wielded by the most powerful wizards on the planet, even to slow them down.
"Strange, then, don't you think, that you defeated one when you were sixteen years old?"

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Skippy McPants posted:

2. Both Harry and Elaine are Starborn.

I have read this a few times in this thread, but I can not remember every hearing it in the series. Where does it say Elaine is a Starborn? It was mentioned justin took them both in to be his enforcers but I don't think it it was said she was Starborn.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Oroborus posted:

I have read this a few times in this thread, but I can not remember every hearing it in the series. Where does it say Elaine is a Starborn? It was mentioned justin took them both in to be his enforcers but I don't think it it was said she was Starborn.

Silento posted:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21772.msg947679.html#msg947679

Okay, so I guess I might have remembered a little wrong? She might not be a Starborn, but she's something similar. I still maintain that Harry beating them with his willpower alone is cooler. :colbert:

Edit: Scroll down a bit to the Elaine section.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

docbeard posted:

I kind of love, as well, the implication that the reason Harry wasn't affected by it all wasn't because there was anything special about his mental defenses, it was because he couldn't be bothered to show up to do his damned paperwork.

We know there's nothing special about Dresden's mental defenses, other than sheer stubbornness. The Corpsetaker takes him apart in seconds in Dead Beat.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

We know there's nothing special about Dresden's mental defenses, other than sheer stubbornness. The Corpsetaker takes him apart in seconds in Dead Beat.

Yet another reminder that Molly super scary. Even though she and Dresden had been training the fact that she held her own against Corpsetaker, considering their relative experience, is drat impressive.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Skippy McPants posted:

Yet another reminder that Molly super scary. Even though she and Dresden had been training the fact that she held her own against Corpsetaker, considering their relative experience, is drat impressive.

I'd even go so far as to say that ol' Capiocorpus was Molly's He Who Walks Behind.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Molly didn't really hold her own against Corpsetaker; she was out of her league from the start and the entire fight was one long delaying action. It wasn't even really a fight, it was a beating that Molly managed to survive. That's still impressive as hell, especially from a wizard that junior, but "not getting knocked out in the first round" doesn't mean she held her own.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Man, listening to the ritual chapter in changes is a real punch in the gut. :smith:

Two more books to go before I'm up to date I guess.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Chapter 5 is up. AND IT IS TOO GODDAMN SHORT.

Murphy joke intended.

Edit: Also Mister makes me :3:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Yesssssss

I mean, that was pretty much what everybody expected anyway, but still. Seven days until I can read this book...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Khizan posted:

Molly didn't really hold her own against Corpsetaker; she was out of her league from the start and the entire fight was one long delaying action. It wasn't even really a fight, it was a beating that Molly managed to survive. That's still impressive as hell, especially from a wizard that junior, but "not getting knocked out in the first round" doesn't mean she held her own.

In the circles Dresden runs in not getting instantly tent poled counts as holding your own. Remember that the first time Dresden ran up against Corpsetaker she turned him into a meat puppet with zero effort.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Skippy McPants posted:

In the circles Dresden runs in not getting instantly tent poled counts as holding your own. Remember that the first time Dresden ran up against Corpsetaker she turned him into a meat puppet with zero effort.

Also to add to this, from Ghost Story, that Harry's faceoff with HWWB wasn't exactly a triumph, he blew up a gas station and thought he'd banished a regular old demon.

I'd put Molly vs Corpsetaker in that league, definitely.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of Molly, her short story "Bombshell" is a fun read.

Also i cant be the only one refusing to read any of the chapter previews, ill get my dresden fix when its good and ready damnit. :colbert:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Thyrork posted:

Also i cant be the only one refusing to read any of the chapter previews, ill get my dresden fix when its good and ready damnit. :colbert:

I didn't read them :smugbert: I listened to Jim Butcher read them. I'm going to resist reading chapter 5 though, mostly because I'd just end up reading it again when it comes out.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Thyrork posted:

I never read the preview chapters.

For those interested, The Severed Streets is out today.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Woah, Murphy introduction without standard text by bloc

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Won't read those preview chapters. You can't make me. Only a few more days for my fix :ohdear:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Sometimes Butcher can really nail describing aspects of humanity:

quote:

There’s power in the touch of another person’s hand. We acknowledge it in little ways, all the time. There’s a reason human beings shake hands, hold hands, slap hands, bump hands.

It comes from our very earliest memories, when we all come into the world blinded by light and color, deafened by riotous sound, flailing in a sudden cavernous space without any way of orienting ourselves, shuddering with cold, emptied with hunger, and justifiably frightened and confused. And what changes that first horror, that original state of terror?

The touch of another person’s hands.

Hands that wrap us in warmth, that hold us close. Hands that guide us to shelter, to comfort, to food. Hands that hold and touch and reassure us through our very first crisis, and guide us into our very first shelter from pain. The first thing we ever learn is that the touch of someone else’s hand can ease pain and make things better.

That’s power. That’s power so fundamental that most people never even realize it exists.

:3:

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Ornamented Death posted:

I never read the preview chapters.

For those interested, The Severed Streets is out today.

For those not interested, get interested. London Falling was fantastic stuff.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Gawd, Murphy's the best. :glomp:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Thyrork posted:

I refuse to read them as well is "Bombshell" worth buying the whole anthology to read it?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mars4523 posted:

Gawd, Murphy's the best. :glomp:

Disagree.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anias posted:

Disagree.

You're not good people.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Azuth0667 posted:

I refuse to read them as well is "Bombshell" worth buying the whole anthology to read it?

I'm refusing, too.

I'd get the anthology from the library and buy the next Dresden-only short story collection when it inevitably comes out.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

ImpAtom posted:

You're not good people.

That's ok, Murphy isn't a good character, so I'm fine not being a murphy fan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any fans of Dresden should probably check out the Michael Connolly thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633327

His main series is about a modern-era LA homicide detective named Harry who has a daughter named Maddie and a half brother who is an attorney (so basically a vampire). It's very pulpy and a little predictable sometimes but it's hard not to think this series must have been a direct influence on Butcher.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any fans of Dresden should probably check out the Michael Connolly thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633327

His main series is about a modern-era LA homicide detective named Harry who has a daughter named Maddie and a half brother who is an attorney (so basically a vampire). It's very pulpy and a little predictable sometimes but it's hard not to think this series must have been a direct influence on Butcher.

I will second this recommendation, they are very good books (except for the Jack McEvoy ones)

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007

Screen Door Slams posted:

Isn't Merlin English/Welsh, and Rashid Middle Eastern?

My reasoning is that Merlin is a legendary figure, that much of what is "known" about him is myth. Much like the Western world does to Jesus, the common Merlin figure may be influenced by the biases of those telling the stories. Plus, we know Rashid did something that royally pissed off Demonreach, and I imagine making the island into an Old God prison would enrage any genius loci.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think Rashid is the Merlin, but it would not surprise me at all to find that he had, in the past, been a Merlin.

Also, the possibility literally just hit me now, but I think there is a significantly non-zero chance that Harry is a direct descendant of the original Merlin.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Just finished my series re-read. Something kinda struck me, after reading the Butcher Reddit AMA where he said things like Eldest are mantles, was when the Rashid basically says there must always be a Gatekeeper... could Gatekeeper be a mantle? It seems to fit, since the Sidhe having mortal champions to do the things that they can't do themselves. Especially interesting is that the Council barely seems to have any idea what the Gatekeeper does, or the true nature of the conflict and Nemesis, etc which seems to support the idea that there's something else behind the Gatekeeper's position.

Then again, maybe the Dresden universe version of A Wizard Did It applies here (Merlin Did It).

Also, the Whatsup Dock. I forgot about that and it made me chuckle out loud.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

docbeard posted:

Also, the possibility literally just hit me now, but I think there is a significantly non-zero chance that Harry is a direct descendant of the original Merlin.

Since Ebenezer has all the journals of his mentor and his mentors mentor and his mentors mentors mentor and so on and so forth all the way back to the Original Merlin's diaries, my theory is that he and Harry are not only descended from the O.M. (magic being somewhat of a bloodline thing and all) but that the books we're reading are Harry's continuation of Ebenezer's journal collection.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, the idea that the Dresden Files are Harry's journals has occurred to me as well. Also, magic is supposed to be passed down from the mother's side, but who knows with Merlin. As ATV said, A Wizard Did It!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Silento posted:

Yeah, the idea that the Dresden Files are Harry's journals has occurred to me as well. Also, magic is supposed to be passed down from the mother's side, but who knows with Merlin. As ATV said, A Wizard Did It!

Usually passed down, not always. It's how Charity keeps her dark past a secret!

• Locked thread