Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Azuth0667 posted:

I refuse to read them as well is "Bombshell" worth buying the whole anthology to read it?

I am unashamedly bias towards anything with Molly because i pretty much adore her entire story and growth so far as a character. So dont ask me, because my answer is skewed. :haw:

The rest of it has been hit and miss. Some of the stories are memorable (a strange sci-fi tale featuring body snatching for example) others have been... dark. Very, Dark. The current one about Basically American Hogwarts With American Wizards and Witches seems neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MrGreenShirt posted:

Since Ebenezer has all the journals of his mentor and his mentors mentor and his mentors mentors mentor and so on and so forth all the way back to the Original Merlin's diaries, my theory is that he and Harry are not only descended from the O.M. (magic being somewhat of a bloodline thing and all) but that the books we're reading are Harry's continuation of Ebenezer's journal collection.

Well that and at least for the last 3 generations of that family they've all had parents/grandparents as teachers. That could lend some credence too.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Somewhat new to the Dresden fandom... what are the prevalent theories about the parasite infesting Harry? Is it related to Nemesis or are there any leading suspects of who put it in him?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bouncyman posted:

Somewhat new to the Dresden fandom... what are the prevalent theories about the parasite infesting Harry? Is it related to Nemesis or are there any leading suspects of who put it in him?

I think most people are assuming its Lash regrowing in his head due to wizard healing powers healing his brain damage.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zore posted:

I think most people are assuming its Lash regrowing in his head due to wizard healing powers healing his brain damage.

That or it's mutant harry from the future who's come back in time to possess Mouse to prevent the bunny apocalypse.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skippy McPants posted:

So far there hasn't been an explicit exposition dump on what a Starborn is, how they come about, or what they can do. However there are bits and pieces of information scattered across all the books that amount to,

1. Starborn come to be through some confluence of circumstances, either accidental or engineered.
2. Both Harry and Elaine are Starborn.
3. Being Starborn gives you the ability to wield some kind of influence over Outsiders. Precisely what this means hasn't been covered, but Harry's magic has been shown to work more or less as normal when fighting Outsiders. Other Wizards, even those with Senior Council level talent, have difficulty getting their magic to have any effect on Outsiders.

Past that, we dun know much. Basically Harry (and Elaine) were born with super powers that turn them into silver bullets against Outsiders, who are likely to wind up as the Big Bads of the entire series. So, you know, that's nice for them.

As for why Maggie set about making sure Dresden would be a Starborn... It might be as simple as wanting him to have a fighting chance against Lord Raith, since Raith had made some kind of deal that got him Outsider protection and rendered him pretty much immune to magic. It could also be something a lot more convoluted and, knowing these books, it's probably the latter of the two.

I missed 2 but looks like that was Jim butcher saying to so touché. On 3, doesn't Harry talk about how he who walks behind was super badass and Harry couldn't have really actually beaten him so it must have been a setup?

DJ_Ferret posted:

Chapter 5 is up. AND IT IS TOO GODDAMN SHORT.

Murphy joke intended.

Edit: Also Mister makes me :3:

Mouse is a good boy.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Khizan posted:

Molly didn't really hold her own against Corpsetaker; she was out of her league from the start and the entire fight was one long delaying action. It wasn't even really a fight, it was a beating that Molly managed to survive. That's still impressive as hell, especially from a wizard that junior, but "not getting knocked out in the first round" doesn't mean she held her own.

Wasn't the main reason she was "out of her league" as you put it due to her head being hosed up because of what happened with Harry? I can definitely see how her mental issues at the time could have royally hosed with her defences.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Zore posted:

You know, now that I think about it (1 week from resolution) we all just kinda hopped on the "Lash!" idea and never considered anything else.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Fried Chicken posted:

You know, now that I think about it (1 week from resolution) we all just kinda hopped on the "Lash!" idea and never considered anything else.

Because Lash put up with Harry's poo poo and deserves a chance to athena off to be her own character.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
But hadn't Harry/Lash established a pretty amicable relationship? Again, I've only ever done one read of the series but I thought Lash sacrificed herself to save Harry, why would her coming back be causing him so much pain and potentially killing him? Was there stuff I missed to support that it's probably Lash or is that just pure speculation?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

bouncyman posted:

But hadn't Harry/Lash established a pretty amicable relationship? Again, I've only ever done one read of the series but I thought Lash sacrificed herself to save Harry, why would her coming back be causing him so much pain and potentially killing him? Was there stuff I missed to support that it's probably Lash or is that just pure speculation?

Until we read skin game and find out what the parasite is, it's all speculation. There is a lot of indirect hints that point to Lash/Lasciel, but nothing concrete.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Another thing I didn't quite get.. how come Mab wasn't able to help Maeve like she helped Lea?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

bouncyman posted:

Another thing I didn't quite get.. how come Mab wasn't able to help Maeve like she helped Lea?

Maeve didn't want to be helped, Lea did.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Maeve didn't want to be helped, Lea did.

It all comes down to choice, and Lea is a good deal wiser than Mab. Probably knows quite a bit more about the Outsiders as well.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

It's worth pointing out that Maeve had been avoiding her work for decades, long before she was ever infected by Nemesis. She was Bad At Her Job, and she got what was coming to her. :commissar:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Thyrork posted:

The rest of it has been hit and miss. Some of the stories are memorable (a strange sci-fi tale featuring body snatching for example) others have been... dark. Very, Dark. The current one about Basically American Hogwarts With American Wizards and Witches seems neat.
Is that the story by Lev Grossman? I loved that story, and the first book in the series (The Magicians), although I wasn't as big of a fan of the second one (The Magician King). I'm hoping that that short story, means that the third book in the trilogy will be much, much better.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Silento posted:

It's worth pointing out that Maeve had been avoiding her work for decades, long before she was ever infected by Nemesis. She was Bad At Her Job, and she got what was coming to her. :commissar:

That's debatable considering we don't meet Maeve prior to her infection.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

That's debatable considering we don't meet Maeve prior to her infection.

^ When we first see her she's already infected, and I can't recall anyone ever commenting on what she was like before.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

bouncyman posted:

Well I mean, being born from a head (assuming thats going to happen) is sorta a painful sounding proposition!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bouncyman posted:

I'm pretty much onboard with the parasite being Lash, though yeah, it's all speculation (and pretty tenuous stuff at that, mostly because there aren't a lot of other obvious candidates. As for why her return might kill him when she has every reason to keep him alive and wish him well, (a) we don't know that either of those things are true (though they certainly seemed true when she 'died', and the parasite was instrumental in saving his life later on) and (b) we don't know that she has a choice in the matter. I think (b) is probably the more critical part of the whole equation.

VanSandman posted:

It all comes down to choice, and Lea is a good deal wiser than Mab. Probably knows quite a bit more about the Outsiders as well.

I also got the impression, though I'm not sure it's ever stated overtly, that Lea's infection was purposely a lot more obvious to cause Mab to focus on curing her so that Nemesis-Maeve could work in secret. By the time Mab even discovered her infection, she'd been gone for years, and it could well have been too late to do anything about it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

I'm pretty much onboard with the parasite being Lash, though yeah, it's all speculation (and pretty tenuous stuff at that, mostly because there aren't a lot of other obvious candidates. As for why her return might kill him when she has every reason to keep him alive and wish him well, (a) we don't know that either of those things are true (though they certainly seemed true when she 'died', and the parasite was instrumental in saving his life later on) and (b) we don't know that she has a choice in the matter. I think (b) is probably the more critical part of the whole equation.

I'm thinking that the bits of Lash being regenerated will be a bit bitter over how ungrateful Harry was about it whenever he spoke of her to other people later; hence the "gently caress this gay skull, I'm outta here" and "I'm going to destroy everything you hold dear after I kill you, Dresden" bits Mab tells Harry about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm thinking that the bits of Lash being regenerated will be a bit bitter over how ungrateful Harry was about it whenever he spoke of her to other people later; hence the "gently caress this gay skull, I'm outta here" and "I'm going to destroy everything you hold dear after I kill you, Dresden" bits Mab tells Harry about.

Actually, all Mab says is that something born of him can kill other things born of him. She didn't say it *would* necessarily.

(Well she did, but only if Harry also died, which again isn't necessarily true)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Was he that ungrateful? I can't remember him ever egregiously trash talking Lash, and with her being a master manipulator, I'd think she would understand that you can't just go around moping about how you lost your totally rad incarnation of evil and man she was just so great. Not when your friends are ex-cops and literal agents of God.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Wittgen posted:

Was he that ungrateful? I can't remember him ever egregiously trash talking Lash, and with her being a master manipulator, I'd think she would understand that you can't just go around moping about how you lost your totally rad incarnation of evil and man she was just so great. Not when your friends are ex-cops and literal agents of God.

If lash turns into a real human being why wouldn't she just find the coin and make a deal?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Took me a little bit of searching, but I found the thing about Maeve. It's in this interview: http://www.comicmix.com/columns/2013/09/10/emily-s-whitten-jim-butcher-dresden-files/

quote:

Yeah, we’ll get the Carpenters in it for some stage time there. But yeah, she’s been off doing Winter Lady stuff, and catching up on about 150 years of Maeve’s backlog; because not only was Maeve crazy, but she wasn’t doing the job; and that was really the problem as far as Mab was concerned. Crazy, psychotic, murdering people? Okay, that’s fine – but is she getting the work done? So Molly’s been doing that; and Molly’s the only one who can take care of the thing in Harry’s head – Demonreach told him that Molly could help (in Cold Days). Which is why Mab has made sure that Harry couldn’t communicate with Molly. So she’ll have to show up to help him with that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Silento posted:

Took me a little bit of searching, but I found the thing about Maeve. It's in this interview: http://www.comicmix.com/columns/2013/09/10/emily-s-whitten-jim-butcher-dresden-files/

So wait, Schubert was Maeve's father, and he died in 1828 (and given he died at the age of 32 that won't be that far off from the birth year) that means Maeve only did her job before 10-20 years before abandoning it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So what happens if (parasite speculation) Lash gets herself a human body... And takes up one of the Swords? We've got a new Knight showing up in this book after all.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

-Fish- posted:

So what happens if (parasite speculation) Lash gets herself a human body... And takes up one of the Swords? We've got a new Knight showing up in this book after all.

That's crazy enough that I want to see it happen.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wittgen posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, Harry was wildly inconsistent with how he spoke about Lash after she was (as far as he knew) gone. I think with Murphy he had a discussion where she pointed out that he was basically grieving the loss of what amounted to a friend that died right inside his own skull; then with Micheal he was all "I feel kind of bad for the poor sap, dying with all that regret over what she was trying to do". And I expected a bit more reference to her in at least one of his conversations with Uriel, especially when griping about being given Soulfire once he lost access to Hellfire.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

apostateCourier posted:

That's crazy enough that I want to see it happen.

The thing is Lash's body belonged to the previous Knight, Murphy. She bit it when she got hit with a big mental whammy.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

-Fish- posted:

The thing is Lash's body belonged to the previous Knight, Murphy. She bit it when she got hit with a big mental whammy.

I don't understand what you wrote here. What?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ramadu posted:

I don't understand what you wrote here. What?

Murphy becomes Knight of the Cross, dies in Skin Game due to psychic trauma at some point. Lash pops out of Harry's head and needs a body. Murphy's body is conveniently nearby. She inhabitants the empty body and becomes a Knight of the Cross.

Edit: Not a spoiler, just speculation that has potential spoilers to those not up to Cold Days yet. Posting from Awful App, accidentally chose Strikeout instead of Spoiler.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 21, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Did you just spoil the book. Please tell me you did not just spoil the book, a book that DOES NOT COME OUT FOR A WEEK.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Probably just a lovely fanfic idea, since everyone knows Mouse is the best living candidate.

You've played Dark Souls, right?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Okay, phew. I was worried there for a second. :shobon: You don't need to spoiler speculation!

And no, I haven't played Dark Souls. It's too mainstream for me. :c00lbutt:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

-Fish- posted:

Murphy becomes Knight of the Cross, dies in Skin Game due to psychic trauma at some point. Lash pops out of Harry's head and needs a body. Murphy's body is conveniently nearby. She inhabitants the empty body and becomes a Knight of the Cross.

Edit: Not a spoiler, just speculation that has potential spoilers to those not up to Cold Days yet. Posting from Awful App, accidentally chose Strikeout instead of Spoiler.

No, no, somehow both of their minds have to survive together in one body in a perfect odd couple scenario.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

keiran_helcyan posted:

No, no, somehow both of their minds have to survive together in one body in a perfect odd couple scenario.

I like the way you think. That's way better than what I'd had in mind.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

-Fish- posted:

had in mind.

I see what you did there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silento posted:

Okay, phew. I was worried there for a second. :shobon: You don't need to spoiler speculation!

And no, I haven't played Dark Souls. It's too mainstream for me. :c00lbutt:

I'm basically hoping for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I have one problem with this theory. If Murphy gets a headmate, does that legitimatize tumblr? :ohdear:

• Locked thread