Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has anything been announced for the paperback release? Have all the other books as paperback and can't really justify 23 euros for a book I will finish in a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ConfusedUs posted:

Paperback will be out about 6-8 months after hardcover, like every book release ever.

Depending on the series I've seen almost simultaneous releases, was hoping this would also be the case.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That's what most annoyed me when I first started reading the series, it just seemed so lazy to basicly C&P the same couple of paragraphs for different topics.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I just finished the third iron druid book, and it was a bit over the top. I enjoyed the first two, and now I don't know whether to get #4 or not, is it as bad as three?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ConfusedUs posted:

I loving loved Cat Sith, by the way. In many ways, he filled the same role that Lea usually does, that of the capricious, creepy, uncertain ally.

I wonder if he can be cured the same way leah was, I wouldn't mind him coming back. E: Or was he killed? I thought he was just tossed into the lake.

Ika fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 2, 2012

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I think they also rereleased Dresden as omnibuses. The WoT boxed set would come in a large chest.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've finished the rivers of London series, which was quite good. I also finished the laundry files, after reading an anthology of shortstories by lovecraft, which I also enjoyed. Iron druid however is way over the top, I read the first three and now have shelved it for now.

Any suggestions for other good books? (Besides The Devil you know, its stuck in the mail somewhere)

Ika fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 13, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

VanSandman posted:

YES to Felix Castor.

I finished those a while ago, and enjoyed them. Now I need something new (and have read rook / rivers of London / london falling as well).

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

During my reread harry mentions turning the shower colder in death masks. Since every time his shower is mentioned its followed by a paragraph about how he has no hot water because he can't use electricity due to magic, it seems like a weird oversight.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Its also in the paperback, so if you were impatient and bought the hardcover you need to borrow it off of a friend.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Error 404 posted:

Well yeah, he'd be an awful Leader leader. I guess my thinking is more like a teacher or drill instructor, turn the wardens into detective/soldiers with magic who can think on their feet, not combat wizards who try to solve crimes. Basically I see him doing well tactically (see leading the Wild loving Hunt against Sharkface and the Outsiders in Cold Days) but leaving the broader strategic stuff to others like McCoy, or Luccio.

But I thought he relinquished control of the wild hunt so it could fight the outsiders properly, while he was leading it wasn't that effective

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has anyone else read the bobby dollar books? After I finished the usual (rivers of London, London falling, mike carey, etc) I tried it, and I like the basic idea. Angels and demons basically being lawyers to try to get the souls of dead people.

However I assumed tad Williams would have enough name recognition to not have to add random sex scenes, but the second book basically has flashbacks to the scenes in the first book every couple of chapters and everyone basically boils down to "this is why the story is happening". Is the memory of the target audience so bad that this has to be repeated every 50 pages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Releasing chapter 4 was a really evil thing to do.

• Locked thread