Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.
Hello there, my Gambling friends.

Welcome to the Gambling Thread for the 2012/13 season!

Are you excited that we now all have some decent football to bet on?

I loving am. Oh wait, the first round of games of the new season is a loving minefield! Ah, who cares, we'll struggle on.

Before we go on, if you're new to this kind of thing please read the OP from last years thread. An OP which Pissflaps described as "Cracking".

I know, right?

Here is that OP:

Grievo posted:

Welcome to the Gambling Megathread 2011/12 Edition!

This thread, as the title suggests, is about Gambling/Sports Betting. It can include stories, tips, gloating, cursing and everything else that’s usually associated with gambling. You can talk about any sport here, but obviously based on the threads location the majority of posts will involve football.

OK, I'm going to start this thread out with some rules.

Rules:

1. Do post your tips and predictions

2. Don't poo poo on other people's tips and predictions. Yes, discussion and disagreement is fine, but you can't blame that person if you followed their advice and that team lost, therefore costing you money.

3. Do ask questions. If you're unsure about something just ask. When I first started properly gambling at 16 I knew nothing. Now, 8 years on I work for the biggest online bookmaker in the world. It’s a funny old game.

4. As mentioned previously, this thread will be mainly about posting football predictions and tips, but if you have tips on anything else we'd be glad to hear them. This includes Horses, Ice Hockey, Rugby League/Union, pretty much anything.

5. Don't gamble if you're under-age or it's illegal where you live. I can't condone that sort of behaviour even if I did it.

6. Don't gamble irresponsibly, if you can't afford to lose it don't loving gamble with it.

7. When joining an online bookmaker and accepting a bonus, please read the terms and conditions (or ask me about them). Almost all of them will have rollover requirements or some other lesser know rule that you may not like or fully understand.

That should do for now, if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to let me know and I'll edit this OP.

Gambling Sites:

Here are a few of the gambling sites which I have an account with.

Betfair
William Hill
Bet365
Ladbrokes
Boyle Sports
Paddy Power
Coral
Stan James
VC Bet
Blue Square
Sporting Index
Party Bets
JAXX
888 Sport
Bet Fred
Sky Bet
Sporting Bet
Centre Bet
Can Bet
Bwin
BetClic
Unibet
Expekt
Bodog
10bet

For a list of these and many more please see top100bookmakers.com.

Now, I know that's a lot, but basically each of these sites offers a start-up bonus. Sometimes a matched bet, sometimes just a free £50. The best way to sift through their individual offers is by going here.

Now, I do have at least one account with each of the above bookmakers, in some cases I have three. I just used them to exploit bonuses and ended up making about £2000 in the space of a couple of months.

Anyway, I'd advise visiting each of the sites and just picking which one you like best and either sticking with it or bonus whoring.

I've done all that and now Bet365 is my weapon of choice, well it was my weapon of choice, but now I’m no longer allowed to hold and account with them. Bet365 are the best because I feel they have the best layout, they give a good start-up bonus, the give out free bets every month and they refund your money on certain markets (scorecast, correct score and half time/full time bets) if the game finishes 0-0. My favourite part about bet365 is the information section located here:

It basically gives you a list of each team’s previous results and you can filter it to home, away or both. It also gives you a form table so you can see which team's doing better in recent weeks rather than over the course of the entire season.

Now that I can’t use bet365 I use Paddy Power, William Hill and Betfair. All are pretty much a good second best (Paddy Power is the next best I’d say).

Resources:

As well as using the feature I pointed out on bet365 I use a number of other resources. These include tips from fellow gamblers (both on-line and in real life), Sky Sports Previews, Newspaper Articles, Information from supporters of different clubs and my instincts. I generally use the on-line tipster site I mentioned as a back-up and only check it when I've made some selections already. If the majority of tipsters agree with my selections then great, if not then why not? I'll sometimes remove a selection if it's generally quite dodgy, on other occasions I'll stick with my gut.

In order to track the scores of your matches I’d advise using Flash Scores. It a great site for keeping up to date on scores as it let’s you add the games you’re looking out for to a “My Games” tab. This allows you to keep track of the games you’ve bet on in one place and it makes a cheering noise when there’s a goal in your selected game and a whistle noise when the game is finished.

If you are unsure about the different types of bets which bookies offer I’d advise using This handy betting glossary to research the areas you’re not sure about. That website also has a very useful bet calculator which you can use to work out your returns from any bets.

Checking Odds

If you do happen to open accounts with several different bookmakers you'll notice that their prices for the same events differ massively. William Hill might have Messi at 3/1 to score first, bet365 might have him at 5/1. Obviously you would want to take the bigger price so you get more for your money.

The best way to check which bookies are the best price is by using Odds Checker.

This shows you be different prices for a wide range of bookies and makes finding the best odds very simple.

School Boy Errors:

As with everything in life there are school boy errors which amateurs make and idiots don't change. These include:

1. Backing the team you support based on nothing other than the fact you want them to win. I mean seriously, look at it from an objective point of view at least.

2. Don't back the same team on more than one coupon. This rule I've stuck to since I started. There’s nothing worse than having all of your bets brought down by one bad selection. There are only very few circumstances in which you should back a team in more than one coupon, and these hardly ever occur. DON'T PUT THE SAME TEAM IN MORE THAN ONE ACCUMULATOR.

3. Even worse than number 2 is putting on coupons where they can't all win. For example don't put Liverpool to win in one accumulator and put them to draw in another. That's just stupid and will lose you money in the long run; however there is an exception to this rule.

4. The exception to the above is when you bet on games which start at different times. Let’s say, for example, you place a £10 four-fold this weekend which will return £160 if it comes in. You take Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Brighton and West Ham all to win. The first three games are played on the Saturday with West Ham playing on the Sunday. Now, provided your first 3 selections win you will effectively have £160 riding on West Ham. In order to guarantee profit I would advise laying West Ham off. This involves backing both the Draw and whoever West Ham are playing (in this case Cardiff). This can be done by using an Exchange (such as Betfair) or by backing both options at a traditional bookmaker (If this is confusing to anyone please just ask and I’ll explain it further).

5. Putting teams in at poo poo prices just because you're 'sure' they'll win. Don't put Manchester United in your coupon at 1/20 just to build the odds. It doesn't build it the necessary amount to make their inclusion worthwhile.

6. Don’t gamble what you can’t afford to lose. Gambling is meant to be a fun, enjoyable activity. It is not an effective method of making money. I use gambling to generate interest – don’t bet your loving rent on something.

Picking Your Bets:

This is the hardest part by far. You need pretty much everything on your side, especially luck. After conducting your research and consulting all of the recommended resources you have to place your money on your selections.

I place a wide range of different bets, but the majority of the gambling population place Singles or Accumulators. When placing singles I tend to place a larger amount than if I was placing multiples, simply because there is more change of it winning.

A general guide to how much I bet (remember everyone is different) is detailed below:

Singles - £25 and upwards

Doubles - £10 - £25

Trebles – £5 - £15

Four-Folds and Above – Anything up to £10

This isn't set in stone, but it's just a general guideline I stick to. If I include draws in the accumulator (which are generally higher odds) then I tend to decrease the amount I place on the bet.

Of course there are other types of bets I place other than simply the outright result of a game. I place first goalscorers, scorecasts (very occasionally), correct scores, handicapped betting and I've even dabbled in betting on the first player to be booked (Kevin Davies).

If you need any advice or information about the different types of betting just ask me. You’ll notice that this OP is much the same as the one I made about 2 years ago, but that’s the point. Nothing much changes in gambling.

Anyway, I’ll post some of my tips soon. I’ll also explain exchange betting in a bit more detail as well as the offers different bookmakers have.

Good luck in the meantime.

Nothing much has changed from that to be honest. Apart from that I now no longer work for bet365. I still loving love gambling and I hope you do too.

So, why are we here?

Well, we're all hoping for that 'big win', similiar to this:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-punter-wins-132k-on-1-1087545

or this:

http://betzoo.co.uk/londoner-wins-117000-payout-from-a-40-accumulator-bet-due-to-the-big-freeze/

or this:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/882402-glen-johnsons-liverpool-winner-gives-maltese-punter-585-000-jackpot

or this:

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/press-office/ladbrokes-punter-wins-record-272529-60-on-nine-team-accumulator.html

etc etc

It probably won't happen, but we can all dream. In reality we're simply looking to make profit, whilst having fun betting! We all realise that gambling isn't a reliable way to earn a living (in case you're a luck bastard), but it is enjoyable.

Now, let's all laugh at BetFred. Do you want to know why we're laughing at BetFred and their dodgy loving oval office of a founder, Fred Done?

Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL92wV9Xho4

What a stupid dickhead. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person to be honest. Stupid Manchester United supporting wanker.

Finally, what I will say is don't go over the top. Do not loving gamble what you can't afford to lose. If you are going to put your last fiver on something, don't put it on Liverpool. Or Hibs.

Happy Gambling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

My Celtic bet for the weekend is joe ledley first goal scorer at 9/1.

In a day with no hooper, stokes, or Forrest (even bangura and murphy are injured) it will probably be Samaras up front on his own. Samaras himself is at 6-1 is good. Wanyama is 14-1 an outside chance.

All odds on paddy power.

Pissflops
Jan 18, 2012

Cracking OP.

Ladbrokes have pulled out of the Riverside so I'll be saving at least £1 per match.

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Alright guys, just put a cheeky £5 on this 9/1.

Arsenal - Sunderland - Over 2.5
QPR - Swansea - Over 2.5
Newcastle - Spurs - Over 2.5
Leicester - Peterborough - Leicester

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Torquay to win is a complete NAP, 3/1 is great value however solid Fleetwood were last season.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
Arsenal/Preston/Rotherham just over 3/1.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Today I put money on over 2.5 goals in QPR-Swansea at evens, smaller bets on Liverpool to beat West Brom at 4/5 and Villa to beat West Ham at 5/2.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Welp, unemployed, I guess now is the BEST POSSIBLE TIME to spend all my savings on making bad bets.

Every time I try I'm always like "hey, this season I'm going to make good bets" but then I don't and I'm sad. Last time I tried, England beat Spain. That's not even fair.

Have got:
£3.00 on Villa/Leicester/Ipswich @ ~12/1
£2.50 on Newcastle/QPR/Fulham @ ~8/1
£2.50 on a draw between Arsenal and Sunderland @ 16/5
£2.50 on said draw being a 0-0 @ 12/1
£2.50 on Liverpool at HT & FT @ 7/4
Plus another couple of £1 on dumb poo poo

Please feel free to point and laugh at these bets, k, thx

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Have got:
£3.00 on Villa/Leicester/Ipswich @ ~12/1
£2.50 on Newcastle/QPR/Fulham @ ~8/1
£2.50 on a draw between Arsenal and Sunderland @ 16/5
£2.50 on said draw being a 0-0 @ 12/1

£2.50 on Liverpool at HT & FT @ 7/4
Plus another couple of £1 on dumb poo poo

holy piss i made money betting (despite three out of five of my accumulator teams loving up, and betting on liverpool being literally retarded)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
0-for-5 today, good start.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

FullLeatherJacket posted:

holy piss i made money betting (despite three out of five of my accumulator teams loving up, and betting on liverpool being literally retarded)
Didn't you read the thread title?

Good work on the Arsenal game though!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Went through this like a year ago, but quit because I was broke as poo poo. Any good sites to use for Americans?

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.
17/20 for Chelsea is absolutely massive.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

fiver on both teams to score here and £20 on over 3 goals in City Soton

Itachia
Aug 24, 2009
First footy bet of the season, my final £5 on Southampton to win today v Man City.

Good luck me!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Forgot there was a new thread, so didn't post.

Went for a treble of over 2.5 in the Chelsea/City/United games. Was delighted after 10mins of this game, not so much now...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Tevez first scorer, what's that? :getin:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I just got the tip on Betis 3+ :negative: its 3-0 45 min after kick off. gently caress ME for not checking my phone. Hell. Pissed away 200 dollars easy.

e: maybe a bit of luck after all!

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 19, 2012

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Betting on the German Cup is massively retarded but here we go

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Any tips for Everton v Man Yoo tonight?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Lots of goals.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did Jelavich first goalscorer which was like 7/1 yesterday. Also did Everton 2 - 1 United. Not really expecting to return on that one though.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

might go all-out and bet on somethign stupid like a van persie hattrick

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have placed some money on a man utd win with RVP to score first. I have only done this because skybet doesn't let you take out less than a tenner :(

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Went with over 2.5 goals and united to win at 2/1 on bet365

E: no one should interpret this as a tip. I have no idea what I'm doing

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Lot 49 posted:

Lots of goals.
Yes this is surely a solid tip in a game literally involving Everton Football Club

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Man U have 4 central defenders out. It's still everton, tho.

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001
Over the past 3 seasons Everton have scored a combined 5 goals in 8 games in the month of August. They could potentially give up 6 though

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Decided to waste some of my winnings on:

£4 on RVP to score at anytime @ 5/4
£2.50 on United to win by one goal (-1 handicap draw) @ 13/5

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001
Despite my last post I am putting a few dollars on the over, seeing as United's back line is Evra, Vidic, Carrick, and Valencia

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Had £5 left in my account on skybet so went for stupid result with stupid odds. 150/1 for 5-2 to Man Utd

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Chris de Sperg posted:

Yes this is surely a solid tip in a game literally involving Everton Football Club
You only had to listen.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

:negative:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I hate gambling and will not be gambling anymore. (Until sky entice me back with free money)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Scott Bakula posted:

Had £5 left in my account on skybet so went for stupid result with stupid odds. 150/1 for 5-2 to Man Utd

Always do the opposite of what I say and you'll get money

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I had Jelavic first goalscorer in the Everton game at 7/1 because I thought Fellaini's odds were too long :negative:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Funny how I make those school boy errors 2 years in a row.
Anyway, one turned out ok, I put €10 on Belgium for their friendly against Holland last week, was something like 3/1.
But over the past couple of days, I've been making all kinds of crazy accumulators, betting on 14 games at once, so my €3 could turn into €210 on one evening!!
How do you guys feel about accumulators with a poo poo-ton of games? You can have massive odds, but the chances of one team loving everything up are very, very real.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I guess I feel the same way about that than I do about any other 70 to 1 odds bet. Bloody unlikely, isn't it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

beedeebee posted:

Funny how I make those school boy errors 2 years in a row.
Anyway, one turned out ok, I put €10 on Belgium for their friendly against Holland last week, was something like 3/1.
But over the past couple of days, I've been making all kinds of crazy accumulators, betting on 14 games at once, so my €3 could turn into €210 on one evening!!
How do you guys feel about accumulators with a poo poo-ton of games? You can have massive odds, but the chances of one team loving everything up are very, very real.

I use those to mop up loose change. If I've bet £4 on realistic ones then £1 on something with 14,030/1 odds isn't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Wolves - Bolton - Aldershot

Fiver returns thirty quid and you're all very welcome.

• Locked thread