Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
18XX is going to be in an hour or so; and I luckily remembered that Pandante poker chips plus some spare plastic chips made more than enough for the bank I needed. Hoping the game goes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate
I just discovered that my dad owns, but has never played, the original edition of 1830. I am very excited by this, because I've been wanting to try this crazy world out. Now I just have to find a 6-hour block of time and 2 more people who are the same kind of crazy as my dad and I are.

He taught me to play Dispatcher when I was in middle school, so our history with train games goes way back. Nowadays it's mostly Ticket to Ride, though.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
1856 happened yesterday. I was expecting a 6 hour game, maybe a little more. With new players and two and a half people being bad at planning their turns outside of their turns (which I'm sad to say I was one of this time) we finished the game at 10 hour mark :negative:

(When we were up past midnight with deisel trains in play I did make the "midnight train going anywhere" joke though and I felt so good)

The board was mostly like this near the end of the game:

Lot of good money in the southern half of the board, which strangely enough I had no stock in for the majority of the game (guess who came in last place?). I was hoping I could stretch some publics that start in the northeast edge of the map into that juicy set of southern areas; but even at the last OR set tiles were placed in such a way that my awesome Deisels were entirely blocked off from their go everywhere potential.

I still say I like this over 1830 a whole hell of a lot. The stock game in 1856 is brutal and brutally in-depth. That there's the whole segment of the game that incentives trashing companies not only to throw them on other players but to actually get them intentionally bailed out by the government to form a mega-public government railroad adds a good amount to where you want public companies to be at any certain point. In this game's case, the CGR didn't form due to strange timings (I had a hate for the player who triggered the phase-change where this mechanic comes into effect just moments after I could of gotten a heap of government stock); but even the mere threat and potential for it adds a layer of stock hell to this 18XX.

What also surprised me is for how perfect-information 18XX games are there was a lot of unforeseen events in our play. It got weird.

Despite the long playtime (which hey, new players), 1856 is a great stock-heavy 18XX. If you want to poo poo all over other players...with train stock, then this is one to check out.

P.S.: Fun story, I picked up this fairly uncommon 18XX at a loving FLGS that had it sitting on a store shelf like it wasn't OOP like a mofo.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 3, 2014

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
What's 1853 India like as an introduction to the 18XX series? I notice a lot of talk about how it's more about building a track than manipulating the stock market, which actually sounds a little less interesting to me to be honest. But it's the one, aside from maybe 1830, that I see popping up as being available a lot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like 1853 but it's not really a game in the competitive sense. Some of the companies in the game are much better than others and there is absolutely 0 market manipulation in the game, so the game gets decided on the initial auction (which is a pretty archaic affair). We played it after a weekend of 18XX and it was the perfect sunday game where none of us actually felt competitive.

• Locked thread