Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So eight is 10 am for me, 5 am for the US. Yeah that's not gonna happen. Even pushing it to 3 hours is 8 am for the US EST, 1 pm for me and 11 pm for you. Is that doable on a sunday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Tekopo posted:

So eight is 10 am for me, 5 am for the US. Yeah that's not gonna happen. Even pushing it to 3 hours is 8 am for the US EST, 1 pm for me and 11 pm for you. Is that doable on a sunday?

Works for me

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

7am CST is a little on the early side for me on the weekend. I am fine with sitting this one out. I can try checking in when I do get up (probably between 8am and 9am) and see how things are going.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Reading these rules is doing my head in at first, but I'm getting there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Orvin posted:

7am CST is a little on the early side for me on the weekend. I am fine with sitting this one out. I can try checking in when I do get up (probably between 8am and 9am) and see how things are going.
Can we make it later CNN? Midnight for you or is that too late? It will take one-two hours to do the initial auction, probably less than that.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I could always come up with some max bids and a few conditionals for the private auction and foreign investor phases, if that would let things get started before I wake up.

The other option might be to do this all on Saturday. I was going to get up around 7:30 am to get ready for my gaming group on Saturday. I could get up at like 6 or 6:30, and we could kick everything off then. The only downside to that is that I have to be out the door no later than 8:30. That would let me be an extra lazy bastard on Sunday and sleep in.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I'm ok with an early start time, so whatever of those works for everyone else is fine by me

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Saturday might be difficult for me, I'm boardgaming that day.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Tekopo posted:

Can we make it later CNN? Midnight for you or is that too late? It will take one-two hours to do the initial auction, probably less than that.

Yeah I can go an hour later

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Tekopo, do you want me to send you some guidelines for bids on privates so you all can get things started whenever you want? I don't want to hold things up too much if I am slow to fully wake up Sunday morning.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sure that shouldn't be a problem, do you want to PM me with them?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I cleared my inbox Orvin.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Your inbox is full Tekopo, but I can send you a guideline when that changes.

/edit: that was nice timing. Hopefully what I sent you isn't too confusing. Let me know if you need a clarification.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 28, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Remember the time tomorrow are going to be midnight for CNN, 2 pm for me and 9 am EST. See you there!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Sounds groovy. I'll go over the rules a few more times and make sure I'm all set up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So I've never played an 18xx game, but I've played(and enjoyed) Age of Steam a couple of times. How different are the 18xx games from Age of Steam?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Elyv posted:

So I've never played an 18xx game, but I've played(and enjoyed) Age of Steam a couple of times. How different are the 18xx games from Age of Steam?
18XX games are mostly about making the most money, not running a company well which is the case for Age of Steam. When you create track, it is shared by everyone and you have to token towns/cities to secure your route. You can run a company into the ground and still win if it was a viable financial investment. There's a pretty different philosophy, almost to the point that 18XX games aren't really train games at all in the traditional sense, but pure speculation/market manipulation games instead. Although there are so many different 18XX games that to say the above with absolutely certainty is impossible.

Personally I find 18XX games much more interesting than Steam/Age of Steam.

Guys signed up for 1880, meet up in #boardgoons in synirc. I suggest we get onto teamspeak/skype or some other voice chat during the auction though.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It is now CNNs turn in 1880.

Just FYI for you CNN, we took your turn for your investor. There was nothing for the foreign investor to build, and no choice on what to do with the revenue. It is now your turn for the HKR to operate.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 30, 2014

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Orvin posted:

It is now CNNs turn in 1880.

Just FYI for you CNN, we took your turn for your investor. There was nothing for the foreign investor to build, and no choice on what to do with the revenue. It is now your turn for the HKR to operate.

That's cool. I'll take my turn soon.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I ran Orvin and CNN's foreign investors since they have no choices to make. Orvin's company is up now.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I ran my BCR and now it is time for CNN again with the HKR.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Hey BM, do you want to exchange the WR for $40? It's prompting me for that now. That's the P0 power coming into play with the 3 Trains becoming available right?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Yeah, that's what that is. Can you put up a save right before your train buying step so I can see the current situation? Or just let me know how much cash I have and I'll give you a yes or no

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

No matter what CNN does on his turn, BM will have $126, Tekopo will have $143, and I will have $230 at the end of his train buying step. I am unsure exactly how much money CNN will have, as it depends on if he places a tile (I don't see why he wouldn't), and if he places a token (that is not necessarily obvious).

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I didn't get a chance to finish it this morning before work, so if someone else would like to put it through for me they can go for it and that would be good. I wanna place another tile continuing straight, and I don't want to token or buy trains.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Ok, I'll cash in the WR then

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I updated the file with both CNN's turn and BM cashing in the WR.

For my first move in the SR, I started the CKR at 100 (4th spot in rotation) with a 20% presidency and a BCD permit.

CNN is up in the stock round with $231.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I finally got 18OE. Holy mother of god :stare:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I finally got 18OE. Holy mother of god :stare:

I finally finished punching and stickering my copy last night. I think all told it took something like 6 hours to do it all over a couple nights watching TV.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So if I was looking at buying into/opening NXR... would that be a good or bad or clever idea at all? And how would I do that? I can't seem to figure that one out in rails. Or is that something I can't do at this point.

Edit: figured out how to do it. And I just decided to go for it and see the consequences, learn by playing.

Tekopo you're up

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 4, 2014

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

So if I was looking at buying into/opening NXR... would that be a good or bad or clever idea at all? And how would I do that? I can't seem to figure that one out in rails. Or is that something I can't do at this point.

Edit: figured out how to do it. And I just decided to go for it and see the consequences, learn by playing.

Tekopo you're up

Since I think you are new to these games, here are some hints for how to choose a company to open.

1. Look for a company that already has track built to/near its home station. This will make it that much easier or fast to start making money.

1.5. Related to 1, make sure that the cities around it are not full of tokens. You want to make sure that the company has room to grow. Since we are about to go to the green tile phase, the cities should open up. But a little bit of fore thought is still needed. Lots of those new openings are going to fill right up.

2. Pick a company that starts near or has access to some of your other companies. This will allow you to make builds that help both companies.

3. Find the big cities in the game, and see if the new company can get access to it.

There are other considerations to take, depending on the specific game, but those tend to be applicable to every game.

That is why I chose the CKR. It fills criteria 1 and 2 pretty much perfectly. It has lots of track built in that area, and it is very close to my BCR. It somewhat fails criteria 3 though. I should be able to hit Shanghai, but getting to Beijing will potentially be tough.

If you want any more hints, or direct suggestions, let us know.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Totally new to these games! This is in fact my first 18XX game of any kind ever. I can't look at the game/map right now, but I felt at the time that opening NXR was a good move. Your third point was definitely more of a factor, but generally that list is a good list of things to consider in future.

I already know I'll be looking to play more 18XX games in the future, regardless of my performance in this one, so there's no real reason to not just do stuff and see what happens. I'll be looking for advice and information as well of course.

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 4, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

BM is up.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Orvin is up and I'm passing the rest of this SR

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

CNN is up with his turn.

Assuming that CNN buys a share and then is passing, and Tek is passing, I will pass the rest of the round as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pass me, that's fine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So 18OE was played today, 8 player game. It worked due to the fixed number of companies. Everyone (except one, our weakest player in the group that regularly comes last) had a lot of fun. First impressions are extremely impressive for the size of the game and the time involved, I am really really glad I got a copy of this and actually managed to get it played. End game position, will provide more pics (for each end-of-OR-set) and analysis:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I can't wait to see more pictures of your game. I don't know if I will remember to take pictures when I play next week.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
That looks intense and amazing.

I'm going to pass by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

We played four player 1830 today. First through third were separated by less than $400 so it was a pretty good game.

• Locked thread