Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Desperation Crosspost, because the last season thread is about to be sent to the glue factory:

Jostiband posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know whether there are any plans to publish Ryushika Ryushika for baka gaijin?
It's a really pretty comic and I'd kind of like to be able to browse through it. :(

Edit: And by that, I mean in english.
If there's nothing coming out, I'll probably break down and get my hands on the french stuff instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

In that case, make it two separate posts for easier upkeep imho.

Not sure three's going to cut it though. There was enough nail biting and hair tearing to jam the current list into the OP and that was after a few thread favourites spread their beautiful surreal wings and got their own threads. The Seyman megathread lasted a few months before dying of a tragic case of slow releases and now all his stuff is back up for voting in this thread for example. At least the Hinamatsuri one got saved from the archives by some timely application of The Curse of Hitomi, so that's good at least v:shobon:v

The Surreal Comicbook Industrial Complex hasn't exactly been sitting on its rear end the past few years either and there's a lot of good stuff coming out. Pretty sure the first few pages will be filled with goons loudly shouting about everything that didn't make it into the OP anyway, so might as well get some more of the usual suspects out of the way for reference purposes. :v:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I'm really bad at remembering names, so my list is delayed while I try to google stuff like "that one manga with the talking bear and then stuff happens and there's these things you know". :downs:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

It's time for another episode of Bad Opinion About Good Manga (completed)!

*drumroll*
  • Sumire-16 Sai!
  • Goodnight Pun Pun!
  • Motherfucking Cromartie High School
  • Terrarium in Drawer
  • Nickelodeon

Finally had some time to throw a list for the completed stuff together, but I still rushed the hell out of it. I'll probably edit it around whenever I remember some stuff that belongs in my top 5. Problem is that I like a lot of short story anthologies and it's sometimes kind of hard to tell when they're over. I'll probably drop some into the ongoing list when I get around to that.

It's pretty funny how Sumire has consistently defended her title of Queen of SDLM for years now.
Not sure how she does it with so much weird poo poo coming out, but whenever I see this thread scroll by my first mental image is still that girl. Guess she can rule the next thread as well!
Not sure if Oyasumi Pun Pun actually belongs in here, but gently caress it. It's really good and pro-read. It's also the orbital sander of the soul, but I'm not sure if that still applies when you can marathon it. I guess I could reread it to check, but I kind of like not waking up surrounded by empty bottles of liquor, so I'm hoping someone does it for me instead. :negative:
Cromartie High is a normal manga about a normal boy that goes to a normal school where nothing interesting ever happens.
I listed Terrarium here because of the short story thing I mentioned. It may not be my favourite story collection, but I'm pretty sure it is done and complete!
Speaking of which... Nickelodeon is by far my favourite Douman work. The fact that it doesn't have a plot means it is the perfect means of delivering those amazingly hilarious , horrifying, adorable mood-swings he's so good at. Because of its episodic nature the art style bounces all over the place while remaining Douman as gently caress. Everyone should read it because it's quite short and probably the most inspirational/spiteful/lovable (delete depending on what page you're on) manga you read today. :toot:

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 12, 2015

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I kind of want Voynich in there as well, but I don't want to turn this into the DS megathread. :(

Aaaand I already spotted my first fuckup. Batoto lists that seven dragon children thingie as completed, so that'll probably be replacing the Terrarium. It's another one of those same author things. I'll probably edit it this evening. Surreal manga lists is suffering.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Hmmm... You're no longer using the honourable mentions for stuff like psychic yakuza kids and stuff?
I may need to adjust my lists some more. :negative:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Punpun's emotional jabs mostly come from being stuck very tightly to the viewpoint character.
It's like that scene in Masturbation Master where our pal Afroman finally gets himself a girlfriend. Sure, objectively it's a pretty nice development and at worst a tiny setback in our protagonist's life. Subjectively, we've been stuck in Kurasawa's head for quite a while now and IT'S THE WORST THING IN THE HISTORY OF EVER!

Agreeing with Carpator that the daily life parts are the most important since they're the primary battleground for Man vs Self. Whenever anything actually dramatic occurs that could change his life Punpun has already lost because Self is a dirty cheating oval office.

That said, LR should probably backlog it 'cause it gets rather smithicide every now and then. Subjectively.

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 13, 2015

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Meanwhile in Japan:

*is handed the Brothers Karamazov by his editor for adaption*

Awww yeah! Time to get my yaoi on!

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I had it in my list then replaced it with the wandering girls, before remembering that that's ongoing and rereplaced it with something else :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

A surprisingly :smith: chapter of Girls Group #7.

At least we got a punpun cameo out of it. :smith:

• Locked thread