Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:siren:Ground Rules:siren:
I realize there will always be debates over what post goes in which thread, but pick whichever one seems the best and keep the bickering about it to the minimum. If you're linking to an eBay ad or craigslist post or the like, make sure to rehost the appropriate images and/or text - use the imgur extension to easily do so. Try to keep to more posts with images than without.

After over 34k posts it's time to retire the last thread. Additionally, I want to reduce the clutter taken up by having multiple different threads that the same thing could be posted in.

Use this thread for anything awesome that's automotive - photos, cell phone snaps, Craigslist / eBay posts, whatever.

Case in point - this Porsche 550 Spyder kit with a six cylinder, that looks absolutely gorgeous.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Nooo, new thread, turn left~

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let's kick this poo poo off right.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

IOwnCalculus posted:

After over 34k posts it's time to retire the last thread.

Goodnight, sweet prince. :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oddspelling posted:

Goodnight, sweet prince. :smith:

It was awesome, yes, but I'm trying to clean up the front page of AI and managed to condense six threads into two.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
From this year's Le Mans:
(click for bigger)

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I would vastly prefer a every-post-must-be-a-picutre rule for both threads. It works fine for the other subforums generally. Couldn't hurt to try out?

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Piano posted:

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I would vastly prefer a every-post-must-be-a-picutre rule for both threads. It works fine for the other subforums generally. Couldn't hurt to try out?

He doesn't have a picture, get him!

content:

That's a stupid rule that results in people posting the same pictures over and over so they can continue a derail. I think we should just expect ourselves to do a better job of self-policing 3 page derails on the metallurgy of late 70s Nissan transmission sychros.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Piano posted:

That works great for picture threads but one thing that was nice about the mechanical failures thread is that there was often insightful discussion about the specific failures posted that would otherwise get you banned under such a rule. I like AI because there is latitude to actually have a discussion and learn things. I probably shouldn't be so "upset" at these changes but I guess I just don't see a need for them.

Though spoiler tag abuse most definitely is a forum-wide rule.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 20, 2012

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Powershift posted:

He doesn't have a picture, get him!

content:

That's a stupid rule that results in people posting the same pictures over and over so they can continue a derail. I think we should just expect ourselves to do a better job of self-policing 3 page derails on the metallurgy of late 70s Nissan transmission sychros.

Agreed. Also, those derails about metallurgy and structural loads and poo poo can be pretty interesting. V:shobon:V

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Can we take the "don't use spoilers for stuff that isn't spoilers" rule from other forums too?

E34s own.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Man, now I have to get archives...
But I want this even more.

Also I vote no to the picture per post rule. I have always thought of the last AI thread as a bar type setting for car nerds to be car nerds.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 20, 2012

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Just posting my favorites from my favorite thread. You guys find the best stuff.

Is this a model? It's making my brain do somersaults.

:drat:

HRRNNGH

My number 2 dream car.

Absolutely number 1 favorite vehicle ever:

And just to make sure we end on a high note...

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 20, 2012

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
If you're going to post that awesome picture, at least use the giant desktop-size one.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Boat posted:

If you're going to post that awesome picture, at least use the giant desktop-size one.

My larger pictures all have the "L" before .jpg in the imgur url, so check because a few of those are loving MONSTROUS.

e: yeah mine wasn't that big.

ee: That's pretty brilliant. Thanks!
\/\/\/\/\/

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 20, 2012

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

My larger pictures all have the "L" before .jpg in the imgur url, so check because a few of those are loving MONSTROUS.

Ah, I see the confusion, none of your images have links to the full-sized.

If you paste an imgur image URL straight-up, the forum code just throws [IMG] tags around it. If you then edit in the 'l' it will just show the thumbnail with no link back. To get the full size linked from the 'l' thumb, you need to paste the URL in with the 'l' already in it.

So if I paste in
code:
http://i.imgur.com/vfxLv.jpg
it spits out
code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/vfxLv.jpg[/img]
and if you edit the 'l' in you just get an image of the large thumb.

But if you paste in
code:
http://i.imgur.com/vfxLvl.jpg
it spits out
code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/vfxLv.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/vfxLvl.jpg[/img][/url]
and you're golden.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Also I vote no to the picture per post rule. I have always thought of the last AI thread as a bar type setting for car nerds to be car nerds.

That's the reason I didn't post anything to that effect. I do want these threads to be geared towards content, but I realize that the very nature of AI and the things that we like to post about here means there will be questions asked and discussion to be had.

I'm not 100% anti derail here - but if a derail is massive enough then maybe it deserves a topical thread, rather than a page of a picture thread with three pictures in it total.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe start an "AI Derailed" thread like BSS has just so people can talk about whatever the hell they want.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
AI Garage. After all, where do most of us do our best talking smack or discussing stuff? And just let the thread just..... go where it wants to.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/myixj.jpg :nws:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/PfsZj.jpg :nws:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/seHtW.jpg :nws:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/x7XNJ.jpg :nws:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That can't be safe. I mean, look, the battery is right there next to her boob.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

SouthLAnd posted:

I've since moved onto Volvo thankfully.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 20, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

SouthLAnd posted:

This messes with my mind. I thought Fieros were tiny, and yet, there is a full-grown man resting on the bonnet. Being in the UK, I don't even think I've seen one for real, but I figured they were early MR2 size?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

echoplex posted:

This messes with my mind. I thought Fieros were tiny, and yet, there is a full-grown man resting on the bonnet. Being in the UK, I don't even think I've seen one for real, but I figured they were early MR2 size?

They're definitely a bit larger than you would assume by looking at pics but they're still pretty small. I guess Oates is just a tiny guy.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
The most dangerous thing in the world is when you start feeling like your current cars are too dependable and rust free so you start looking around the web for "inspiration".

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

"High-revving" 2.8L V6. :laugh: Compared to a diesel, I guess.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

astrollinthepork posted:

They're definitely a bit larger than you would assume by looking at pics but they're still pretty small. I guess Oates is just a tiny guy.

Got it, thanks. Still like the later shape ones - I think someone here had a project one in white? I had a Micro Machine exactly like that, it was my fave.

Just spotted this lovely Austin Princess.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 20, 2012

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Stumbled upon this on my way home yesterday:

Some sort of stretched, Ute'd Mercedes. Possibly an old hearse? It had ads for a body shop on the back and was sprayed in that color changing purple paint.

Edit: a lookup in the rego db says it's an E280...

bolind fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 20, 2012

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Let's kick this poo poo off right.

Is there a story behind this barn?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's pretty sad that such awesome poo poo appears to be so neglected. I'd also like to know the story.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
Saw this earlier today in a commuter parking lot. Having found his build thread, this is exactly what it appears to be. A VW tdi swapped 1974 Corvette.

It's a pretty brutal swap in execution, but appears to be completely functional.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=319973

Edit : My hosting

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 20, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ACEofsnett posted:

Saw this earlier today in a commuter parking lot. Having found his build thread, this is exactly what it appears to be. A VW tdi swapped 1974 Corvette.

If these were my welds, I'd be proud of them (then again, I don't weld). I don't think I'd show them off, though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TooLShack posted:

Sock & Miata

Thanks toolshack. Page one, post two. :3:

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
This guys loving face.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/agNWJ.jpg

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I've always wanted a Stingray for the way they look (always reminded me of the Wacky Racers as a kid) but one with a supercharged 454? Oh my.

I'd kill three of you at random to be able to run hotlaps in this thing on a track.

Also, you get some great hits when you do a GIS for "viper engine in a"

:psyduck:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

That's what I get for posting from my phone :( I was so excited, too :(