Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:siren: ONE PICTURE PER POST RULE IS BACK IN EFFECT :siren:
I realize there will always be debates over what post goes in which thread, but pick whichever one seems the best and keep the bickering about it to the minimum. If you're linking to an eBay ad or craigslist post or the like, make sure to rehost the appropriate images and/or text - use the imgur extension to easily do so. Try to keep to more posts with images than without.

If it's automotive and it's terrible, it goes here. Photos, cell phone snaps, for sale postings, poo poo you overheard, whatever.

Best I've got that's fresh is this that we saw driving down the freeway at 75MPH:

Sometimes I wish we had inspections in AZ.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hey man they're just trying to clear all the pot smoke out faster :350::hf::getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Maybe if it was Cali. The cops here in Az are rabid right now about DUIs. :v: Don't get me wrong, they drat well should be - if anything the laws should be harsher - and we have some of the harshest in the country.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think the photo does justice to the fact that I'm pretty sure that van has been rolled over at least twice.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

A-la Mr. Bean. Utilitarian I guess, but I'd never do it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't even remember where these are from or why i have them on my computer, but they certainly belong here.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I saw this monstrosity of a Pontiac in Pontiac, IL this weekend. I'm pretty sure that wasn't a coincidence.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Was there really a tremendous need to consolidate half of AI into two posts? I'm not at all trying to back-seat mod but the four or five threads that I really ever read on a consistent basis have all been locked out and I don't really understand the need to do so. The Mechanical Failures thread, for example, can really go either way. Some failures are catastrophic and cool (awesome) and some things are terrible. Just seems to me like either thread is going to turn into a mashup of unintelligible ADD-like dialogue. Same goes for the Craigslist thread. Whether something was cool or lovely it was still nice to know what I was getting in to when I clicked that link. "I'm going to look at stuff people are selling right now."

Content (what's a new terrible car stuff thread without a tricked out PT Loser?

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 20, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I know 'scene' is just another way of saying 'stupid' but these cars look like some sort of ADHD cargo cult effort.

It's like the owner saw something on a car and thought, hey that looks good, and then decided to cover his own car with them without ever finding out what that thing was actually for or where it needed to go.

How else do you explain a snorkel coming out of the van's door? Or having snorkels at all, because I'm guessing they run on petrol, never cross rivers or own a water bra.

See also: lovely cars covered in spoilers made out of pvc pipe, plywood or old metalwork loveseats. Or cars with five hundred fake shark fin mobile phone antennas.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm guessing they run on petrol, never cross rivers or own a water bra.

Huh? There's nothing that explicitly keeps gasoline engines from being useful in water crossings.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EightBit posted:

Huh? There's nothing that explicitly keeps gasoline engines from being useful in water crossings.

He's saying THAT thing will never cross a river, not that crossing rivers is impossible.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

I think it's cool...

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Paul Boz_ posted:

Was there really a tremendous need to consolidate half of AI into two posts? I'm not at all trying to back-seat mod but the four or five threads that I really ever read on a consistent basis have all been locked out and I don't really understand the need to do so.

Agreed. The craigslist thread was great because we got to see an interesting cross section of sales strategies and awful and awesome cars associated with that. Frequent diversions into the history of obscure feature sets and models was a bonus.

I dont want to see a thread of "terrible" that is just a pintrest flood or any of 6 million other websites.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tai-Pan posted:

Agreed. The craigslist thread was great because we got to see an interesting cross section of sales strategies and awful and awesome cars associated with that. Frequent diversions into the history of obscure feature sets and models was a bonus.

Well let's keep up with that commentary here. Don't give up the good (bad) fight!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So what all got borged into this thread? Stupid poo poo, mechanical failures, craigslist?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I liked having the craigslist/ebay thread seperate because they were either really lovely or good deals you could actually own.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Javid posted:

So what all got borged into this thread? Stupid poo poo, mechanical failures, craigslist?

And probably 80% of the cell phone thread.

Some could have used consolidation like the cell phone thread, but I agree with the others in things like Mechanical Failures and Craiglist Gold to have their own thread. They saw plenty of traffic and while had some derails, mostly kept to the topic.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm here for the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread. There were a lot more things in there besides car failures.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Yeah, I'm gonna echo the need for a craigslist and mechanical failures thread. If craigslist HAS to go, then so be it but I need me my mechanical failures thread. That ranged from engineering chat to pics of aviation disasters. Stupid overheard car poo poo was nice to have too. If we're gonna have a picture thread, let's just keep it a picture thread. I guess what I'm saying is that the only thread that really needed to go was the cellphone pic thread.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 20, 2012

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Serious question: does hellaflush go here now?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Let's just give it a chance... While I'm not partial to them either, maybe it'll turn out for the good of AI.

CONTENT:

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

MrSaturn posted:

Serious question: does hellaflush go here now?

It sure does!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Gonna have to join the dog pile, you have gone too far this time you sassy mod you! Craigslist needs its own thread, and mechanical failures. Cell phones did not need their own thread, but those do.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
The first time I post in the stupid poo poo on cars thread? It gets closed... so I'm cross posting this poo poo.

Raluek posted:

I love how the edge of the roll bar is just welded onto that little bracket on the edge of the bed. How can anyone expect something like that to hold a vehicle up in a rollover?

I don't think it's welded, I think it's bolted to the inner fibreglass tray.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've got the biggest soft spot/hard-on for s2000s and I still can't get past this poo poo.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Unfortunately, the car looked like a giant black dildo from the side.

I've seen MAD MAN around too, wonder if it's a couple? Is it awesome?

He's literally in two lanes. And continued to drive in two lanes.

A little hard to tell, but it's a shitbox in carbon fibre vinyl.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Another vote here for bringing back the craigslist and mechanical failures threads. I think the former was unironically useful as an occasional reality check for young guys with car ADD (are there any of those in AI?)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psychoticmeow posted:

The first time I post in the stupid poo poo on cars thread? It gets closed... so I'm cross posting this poo poo.

I don't think it's welded, I think it's bolted to the inner fibreglass tray.

Yep, they are. Ones like that are just shite for showing off, some are vaguely useful tradies as you put another one on the end of the tray for carrying long poo poo or leaning stuff against the cab.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Lumping dumb poo poo on cars, dumb cars on craigslist, dumb people on cars, and horrible failures together is a bad idea in my opinion.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

keykey posted:

I liked having the craigslist/ebay thread seperate because they were either really lovely or good deals you could actually own.

Yeah, the Craigslist thread was one of my favorites of all. I liked having it split up.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts
I want mechanical failures back, not for any other reason that it was a thread of mechanical carnage. Having it lumped here means I have to wade though irrelevant stuff about cars to see pictures of broken poo poo.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

MisterSparkle posted:

I want mechanical failures back, not for any other reason that it was a thread of mechanical carnage. Having it lumped here means I have to wade though irrelevant stuff about cars to see pictures of broken poo poo.

I agree. The Mechanical failures thread was a goldmine of hilarity.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MisterSparkle posted:

I gotta agree with that. Ugly paint jobs seems like a different topic than mechanical failures. I enjoyed the thread of just technical metallurgical stuff.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MisterSparkle posted:

Seriously. Lets just make all of AI one thread: POST CAR STUFF HERE.
poo poo, that'd take care of all the forums and sub-forums.

SomethingAwful: Post Everything Here

The cellphone thread and the dumb poo poo ya' heard thread could certainly be combined, but the CL/eBay thread, and the mechanical failures thread were great because they were kept on-topic by the posters themselves. I knew what I was getting, and when there were a bunch of new posts, I knew something awesome had been posted. The biggest problem with aggregating all these threads is, as someone else said, it becomes a Pinterest thread about cars. It'll move too fast, and good poo poo will get passed over. I sure as hell don't have the time to wade through a 200+ post/day thread.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 20, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

One more for Mechanical Failures. Where else does nuclear disaster chat go?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I have a few amazing ones that are close to my heart. The first is an add I saw on KSL, and I suspect they were just reposting it from somewhere else but I'm not sure:

Second is something that was an instant classic: i.e. the biggest spacers you'll ever see ever:

Everyone liked those Cars movies right?

Would you believe the green and orange are actually the same car?

And this.... I don't even know what to think about this:

I saw both of these on the same day at the same walmart:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Boomerjinks posted:

I think it's cool...

So do I. Does anybody have details on this?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InfinEight posted:

Second is something that was an instant classic: i.e. the biggest spacers you'll ever see ever:

Oh god, the unsprung weight. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Locator posted:

Oh god, the unsprung weight. :staredog:

I can't look at that thing without hearing a loud SNAP in my head